• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Dual Carbon Fiber Cold-Air-Intake (DEVELOPMENT PHASE)

Started by MDesign Performance, June 05, 2014, 10:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

Quote from: TuxedoSHO on June 06, 2014, 11:44:12 PM
Quote from: Spartn27 on June 06, 2014, 11:04:47 PM

LMS is just down the street from me so I plan on getting in there some time in the near future.

Seriously? I was up there earlier today. I'm maybe 5-10 minutes from them

I'm in Dearborn as well, I think I might've spotted you today down Ford Rd? I'm free this Sunday if you want to check it out in person, check your PM's.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

BBOX

Honestly from a purely aesthetic perspective $600 seems like a good price, so for someone that likes to show off their car I think it's worth it for that aspect alone. If you bring dyno-proven results that demonstrate an improvement with it, you're gonna have a hell of a deal.

SwampRat

Quote from: BBOX on June 07, 2014, 12:35:36 AM
Honestly from a purely aesthetic perspective $600 seems like a good price, so for someone that likes to show off their car I think it's worth it for that aspect alone. If you bring dyno-proven results that demonstrate an improvement with it, you're gonna have a hell of a deal.

I agree 100 % with BBOX  ... this looks very promising .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SHOdded

Quote from: Spartn27 on June 05, 2014, 10:31:56 PM
These improvements include dual intake filters for each turbo with genuine carbon fiber canister heat shields, ceramic coated aluminum hard-piping which retain both factory vacuum nipples and the MAP sensor, and each filter has it's own flexible tube to allow a source of fresh air from wherever the user defines.
I'd say these improvements in function & looks justify the price point.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

FoMoCoSHO

I think it represents a good value as is and if it makes 15-20 HP it will be an outstanding value.

I am curious about the decision to go with 2 air sources. Not sure its necessary and it adds complication and dollars to the design.

Overall hugely promising.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 07, 2014, 09:18:47 AM
I think it represents a good value as is and if it makes 15-20 HP it will be an outstanding value.

I am curious about the decision to go with 2 air sources. Not sure its necessary and it adds complication and dollars to the design.

Overall hugely promising.

The reason of going with two air sources was to mimic a "sequential" effect with the turbo system. With the shorter and restriction-less (as in no vacuum nipples or intrusions in the piping) front intake piping the front turbo should spool quicker than the rear turbo. This idea is derived from sequential twin-turbo systems where a smaller, faster spooling turbo supports the lower RPM band while the larger second turbo takes it's time to build and achieve full boost.

The concept is similar to RX's Sequential Boost system just on a smaller scale, more like a throw-in, added benefit.

As far as the 2 different sources of air, I decided to retain the OEM hood/ram air source while adding a second user defined ram-air effect to the other. The way I have the fresh air sources currently configured are where the front turbo receives it's flow out of a modified OEM intake hood snorkel and the rear turbo receives air flow from the lower front bumper area. Every part of the design was thought out and serves a purpose as with the exhaust system.

The intake was meant to be a solution for a cold-air intake system so it was function over appearance first and foremost. As some humor, of the select few who have seen the first design the process was like Tony Stark building the Iron Man, first suit ugly but functional and got more aesthetically appealing after each revision!

2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

BBOX

So you've got an intake an exhaust, are downpipes in the works? :)

FoMoCoSHO

I see a specific void spartn is filling with the first two products. II'm not sure such  a void exists with downpipes. PPE, Livernois, and stainless works have us pretty well covered. IMHO.

BBOX

What void? There are multiple intake and exhaust options that already exist.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: BBOX on June 07, 2014, 02:10:05 PM
What void? There are multiple intake and exhaust options that already exist.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Current intakes are useless and some of us are not fond of the sound/price of any of the current exhaust options.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 07, 2014, 02:02:14 PM
I see a specific void spartn is filling with the first two products. II'm not sure such  a void exists with downpipes. PPE, Livernois, and stainless works have us pretty well covered. IMHO.

^^ This really, I was actually interested in purchasing a set of PPE downpipes myself! So as of now no downpipes in the works.

BBOX

Fair enough, I'm looking to buy downpipes as well but would have been willing to wait if MDesigns was gonna come up with something that way too, right now I'm VERY interested in the intake and exhaust.

J-Will

Are the hard pipes you refer to in your new setup, the same as hot pipes or the noise eliminator pipe?
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

yowen

Do this cause any change in the way the car sounds? Or, aside from VTA, does it sound pretty much stock since you went with a sealed design?
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

BBOX

Out of curiosity, how loud is the BOV when it vents to the atmosphere?