• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesign Dual Carbon Fiber Cold-Air-Intake (DEVELOPMENT PHASE)

Started by MDesign Performance, June 05, 2014, 10:31:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

PRODUCTION VERSION (as of 12/18/2014) can be viewed here:
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,4034.msg63761.html#msg63761
Pics of production version installed in BiGMaC's SHO:

Group buy is over.  Please PM Spartn27 directly if interested in purchase.  Thank you.

Original thread continues below ...

===================================

Hey guys, I've done a couple revisions and have (99.9% sure) settled on a final design which will be the third iteration of the intake system. The first design did, while having a definitive increase in performance, ended up heat soaking which was so apparent. If you've never experienced heat soak, once you experience it first hand you'll get to understand how power robbing this can be. This led me to scratch the first prototype and work on a completely enclosed, sealed unit similar to the OEM intake system albeit minor improvements

This is what I ended up with, the MDesign Dual Carbon Fiber Cold-Air-Intake. Immediately I noticed upon cruising in 70 degree weather I can maintain IAT of 78-84. Under heavy acceleration and spirited driving, IAT have peaked to 110-115 and settled down to mid 80's shortly after.

Best of all, due to the ram air design and each filter getting its own source of fresh outside air, the faster you go the cooler you'll see the IAT dropping. This is not just another intake, this was a mission that resulted in an intake. The mission was to create an intake that respected all of the engineering that FoMoCo put into the OEM intake and only improving upon it. These improvements include dual intake filters for each turbo with genuine carbon fiber canister heat shields, ceramic coated aluminum hard-piping which retain both factory vacuum nipples and the MAP sensor, and each filter has it's own flexible tube to allow a source of fresh air from wherever the user defines.

As of now the intake kit converts the BOV to vent-to-atmosphere and the hard piping does not contain a recirculation for this and uses a breather filter for the front PCV similar to other intake kits out there. The decision to do this was to create as few restrictions/nipples within the hard piping to increase speed density and smoother air flow.

More testing and numbers to come.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

jmr061

Yes more details!  Where does it draw the air from.  Is the trans dipstick accessible.  That bracket needs to powder coated or something.   Looks great otherwise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jason
16 Edge Sport

FoMoCoSHO

I see the flexible tubing has bellows built into it. You might want to consider that after the filter, as the OEM setup uses them after the filter to accelerate the air. I'm sure the filter slows it down.

I'm also unsure as what effect two air streams might have on turbulence inside the airbox. My guess is any issue caused by this could also be helped by mimicking the stock arrangement.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Dxlnt1

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

BBOX

J-Will

2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

2010SHOtime

That looks great! I've been waiting on buying an intake so I'm hoping this will be the one.
2010 SHO 402A non PP. Best time 13.113 @ 105.81
Tuned by Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning, sp534 plugs, 170 t-stat, 3 bar sensor.
2013 explorer (wifeys car)
2002 Orange Camaro SS-sold

mval

'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

MDesign Performance

Quote from: mval on June 06, 2014, 10:22:12 AM
where does the air temp sensor go?

It's hidden under the rear turbo hard pipe for aesthetic reasons.

Price point is $599 for the dual intake and hard pipes.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Dxlnt1

2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

MDesign Performance

Quote from: Josephm on June 06, 2014, 04:55:10 PM
Any plans for dyno video's in the near future?

LMS is just down the street from me so I plan on getting in there some time in the near future.

Quote from: Dxlnt1 on June 06, 2014, 08:05:21 PM
I TAP OUT! TOO RICH FOR MY BLOOD! $600?

http://www.fastlaneturbo.com/ecoboostcoldairpipelinesystem.aspx
http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/shointake.html

Fastlane is $795, Hennessey $2295, Airaid $300 or so for just the filter area.

TuxedoSHO

Quote from: Spartn27 on June 06, 2014, 11:04:47 PM

LMS is just down the street from me so I plan on getting in there some time in the near future.

Seriously? I was up there earlier today. I'm maybe 5-10 minutes from them

2010 Taurus SHO, Rapid Spec 402A, Non-PP
K&N CAI, Livernois Catted Downpipes, Corsa Catback, Livernois Stage 4+ X Tune, EBC Slotted Rotors, EBC Red Stuff Pads, LMS 160* Thermostat, 3 Bar Map Sensor, Colder NGK  Iridium Plugs, BOV VTA,
20" TSW Nurburgrings Wrapped in Michelin Pilot Super Sports, 15% 3M Tints All Around, Tinted Tail Lights, Dipped Tail Light Chrome, Grille & Fogs
Best Time Yet: 12.76 @ 107MPH

Dxlnt1

Ok. Glad you are competing with them. Just too much for ME! Maybe not others