• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to drain your CAC (Intercooler) with out taking it out.

Started by ShoBoat, May 24, 2014, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larrylu

I'm in the process of draining mine right now and discovered something. When removing the noise maker, I found a red O ring split and partially lying out of its groove. By looking at the split ends it looks like a 3/8 inch chunk may be missing. That's not the way it's supposed to look is it?
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

Quote from: Larrylu on June 01, 2014, 01:11:40 PM
I'm in the process of draining mine right now and discovered something. When removing the noise maker, I found a red O ring split and partially lying out of its groove. By looking at the split ends it looks like a 3/8 inch chunk may be missing. That's not the way it's supposed to look is it?
Not it's not, it should form a complete seal around the opening. If you are missing a chunk it could lead to a boost leak. I would try to get a replacement as soon as you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

How many miles were on your car when you did this? Im at 17k right now and wonder if i should expect to see a small lake down there.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

glock-coma

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 01, 2014, 01:46:51 PM
How many miles were on your car when you did this? Im at 17k right now and wonder if i should expect to see a small lake down there.
If your asking me. 33,xxx
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ShoBoat

Same here, about 35k miles

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

Glock-coma, it looks like from your vid there is a fair bit sitting on the fins of the CAC. I wonder if we could blow that stuff off the fins using the intake side of the CAC. Then have it settle on the passenger side and suck it out. I guess a hepa vac with an exhaust port would do the trick. Whatever is used it would need to be filtered air. We really don't want to compound the issue by adding a bunch of dust in the CAC. I'll have to dig something up and give it a try. By the way. What camera are u using? The quality is really good.

glock-coma

I checked their website yesterday, I was curious what it cost......$4,000

I really hope my boss didn't pay that much for it.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ShoBoat

No wonder the quality was that good lol. I don't think I'll be picking up one anytime soon.

Larrylu

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 01, 2014, 01:25:59 PM

Quote from: Larrylu on June 01, 2014, 01:11:40 PM
Not it's not, it should form a complete seal around the opening. If you are missing a chunk it could lead to a boost leak. I would try to get a replacement as soon as you can.

That's what I thought too. Nice to have another opinion. Found a hardware store "O ring" for the time being. Even if not OE part....better than missing a chunk. Will visit dealer tomorrow. Thanks for the assist!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

^^ glad to be of service.

IHeartGroceries

Smart! Thanks for throwing a how-to together.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

wasinger3000

I know on the f150 forum a lot of people did a temporary fix of drilling a tiny hole in the intercooler to allow the conglomerate of crap to blow out under boost. Not sure of the long term issues this could cause. Some actually put a small valve in the bottom to drain as well.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

Larrylu

Excellent how to ShoBoat. I did not succeed with gunk removal I think because my suction tube might need to be a bit smaller. The dipstick shows at least 1/2 inch down there but I only sucked up a half ounce or so. Sucking up a lot of bubbles like the tube was right at the surface so will try again with a smaller line. Bonus was finding boost leak when I'm trying to figure out if my performance is indeed more anemic than it should be. Very glad you came up with this procedure.

wasinger3000

Quick little liquid vac I made. Just an idea for anyone else.

Sent using smoke signals.

SHOdded

Maybe we could all get one of those AITs if the decimal point shifted 2 to the left!

Nice idea, wasinger :thumb:
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!