• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How to drain your CAC (Intercooler) with out taking it out.

Started by ShoBoat, May 24, 2014, 01:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShoBoat

With the all the talk of hydro lock and blown engines, and no real safe way to empty your CAC without taking it out of the car. Or drilling a drain into the bottom of the CAC. I took it upon myself to figure this one out. I started out with this setup. It did the job but took a while and the lift wasn't the greatest. It's actually an air powered cleaning wand. The lift comes from the solution tube, this is the one you would put down the CAC.

I would to point out that I used this method due to the unknown nature of the fluid in the CAC. If it's flammable you really don't want to use an electric vacuum. Unless it's explosion poof and designed to pick up flammable liquids.

Intaking draining 9 by sho.boat, on Flickr

I then acquired this bad boy.

Air powered Vac by sho.boat, on Flickr

This is an actual air powered vac. This worked wonders.

So this is how I did it.
First remove the engine cover as it makes it easier to work on.

You will need to remove the intake pipe from the CAC to the throttle body. There are 2 hose clamps holding it in place.
Intake pipe 2 by sho.boat, on Flickr

Intake pipe 3 by sho.boat, on Flickr

Intake pipe 1 by sho.boat, on Flickr

Loosen the 2 clamps, remove the noise generator and disconnect the sensor on the tube just before the throttle body. Slide the upper tube off the throttle body and then twist and slide up to remove the bottom portion of the tube. It it doesn't slide off easily loosen the clamps some more.   

With the intake tube off you can now check how much crud you have in the CAC, the easiest way is you insert the oil dip sick carefully down into the CAC. So pull it out clean it off and gently stick it in.

Dipstick in CAC by sho.boat, on Flickr

Ensure you hit bottom on the CAC then again carefully slide it out and check the level. Here was mine before.

Dipstick before by sho.boat, on Flickr

Hmm not good, seems like I have some crud in there? It feels like oil with lightly less viscosity than what is in the engine. Okay time to get that stuff out of there. With a decent sized compressor and the above mentioned vac, attach a reducer to the inlet, preferably 3/8 clear hose. This was you can monitor your progress. Also it is beneficial to jack up the car slightly on the driver side to get the liquid to pool on the passenger side as this is where we are drawing out the fluid. Carefully slide the hose down into the CAC, ensure that you get right down to the bottom. Once at the bottom begin drawing out the fluid. You should see within a few seconds fluid in the hose. If you don't adjust the hose to ensure that you are on the bottom.

Air powered Vac 2 by sho.boat, on Flickr

Here is a shot of the inside of the CAC, sorry for the poor quality pic. This was the best I could get.
CAC internal by sho.boat, on Flickr

After a few minutes you should see that the hose isn't picking up anything else. Its time to check the level again.

Dipstick after by sho.boat, on Flickr

Sweet hardly anything left. If you are like me you will try again just to be safe. Reassemble and remove your jack. Now you can rest assured that your CAC is empty!

You may also want to check this hose to see if you have any oil in it.
Hot side rear turbo pipe by sho.boat, on Flickr

I have heard that the EB does have some oil seep out of the turbo seals by design. Too much (whatever that means) would indicate a bad seal, the front turbo is a lot harder to check.

Tracy at RX recommends that you drain the CAC when installing a catch can system. As the transverse EB is a real PITA to get the CAC out of the car, this should at least get the job done of removing the fluid out. I hope this clear, let me know of you guys have any questions.   

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SwampRat

I remember you posting this a while back .
Thanks for your contributions to the membership and for making this an "official " How To .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

ShoBoat

Anytime, I would hate to see another hydro lock blown engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

Gotta love these homegrown How To's!  The true spirit of exploration :thumb:

On a scale of 1 to 10, how difficult is this to do, for a person with average mechanical skills, ShoBoat, in your opinion?  You seem to be a pretty handy guy!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

If you have the equipment, it's a piece if cake. I would say a 4 out if 10 on difficulty. It took me all of 30 min to complete. The cost is also cheap, total cost without the compressor is about $60.00 for the vac and hoses. I would encourage you guys to just at least check your fluid level in the cac. This takes all of 10 min when the car is cool.

FoMoCoSHO

ShoBoat

ShoBoat

It would be interesting if anyone trying this method would post their findings here. I would be interested in finding out how much if any fluid is in other CACs.

Tuner Boost

This is excellent!!!  Good thought out procedure here.  double thumbs up.

ShoBoat

glock-coma

I did this yesterday, exactly as shoboat  described. It was very simple.
Here a video.

2010 Taurus SHO intercooler draining: http://youtu.be/LDvJwq7HXCc

http://youtu.be/sYDG9nfWlwU
http://youtu.be/nIQF5PQjsaM

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ShoBoat

Glock-coma, amazing vids! Do you have any idea how much you took out?

FoMoCoSHO

glock-coma

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 01, 2014, 12:29:41 PM
Glock-coma, amazing vids! Do you have any idea how much you took out?

I only got out about 3-4 ounces.
I'll take a pic of the water bottle it's in when I get home.
I was waiting until it separates to take the pic.

glock-coma

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on June 01, 2014, 12:36:21 PM
Is that the intake opening on the right?
All the videos are looking straight down from the passenger side CAC hose opening.
The silver "fins" that you see are coming from the drivers side.