• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Finally Bit

Started by MDesign Performance, May 23, 2014, 02:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampRat

Quote from: Spartn27 on May 24, 2014, 01:00:18 PM
Quote from: ShoBoat on May 24, 2014, 11:35:13 AM
Is there any danger of dislodging the carbon buildup when you are sticking the probe down the intake? I have a scope. I have even looked into the cac. I am just terrified to screw something up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's the thing, that depends on how much carbon build up you currently have and you won't really know unless you look. Though I doubt you will damage anything unless they are extremely covered in carbon.

Its going to take a lot more than a boroscope to dislodge any baked on carbon deposits .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

SHOdded

Does it get hot enough inside the intake to bake the carbon deposits on the EBs, i.e., what temp range is the intake normally subject to?  (Talking about the intake manifold, right?)  No doubt they are practically fused to the walls/rings/pistons in the combustion chamber!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Interesting, I will give it a try later this weekend and report back.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SwampRat

Quote from: SHOdded on May 24, 2014, 01:13:30 PM
Does it get hot enough inside the intake to bake the carbon deposits on the EBs, i.e., what temp range is the intake normally subject to?  (Talking about the intake manifold, right?)  No doubt they are practically fused to the walls/rings/pistons in the combustion chamber!
Although carbon deposited  on the aforementioned piston areas are one of the primary areas of concern  , the valves  are very prone to deposits ; especially the valve stem where carbon will form and bake on due to heat transfer.
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

panther427

And the fact the valve and valve stem are actually in the head directly above the combustion chamber.
2013 SHO

ShoBoat

Here is a couple of pics, in person it doesn't look that bad. There is build up but not as severe as we have seen. 35k miles.

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

I am going to get the BG fuel service done and do an after shot.

MDesign Performance

That would be promising, are you methanol injected and if so for how many miles? Really does not look that bad as compared to BG's test car.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

Larrylu

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 24, 2014, 02:08:16 PM
I am going to get the BG fuel service done and do an after shot.

Where are you introducing the scope?
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

I introduced thorough the throttle body. No meth here, I was running the catch cans on the car for the last 3k miles or so. But I doubt they were not collecting anything. I would love to have a look at Crash's intake valves, he has been running meth forever.

Larrylu

I'm still on vacation and won't be home till Tuesday, but this morning I ordered a scope tool from Amazon for $69. It will be delivered on Wednesday. I just love Amazon Prime. I'm thinking I might be able to sneak the probe in through the MAP sensor opening. If do that would be pretty easy. With 52K on the clock, I'm pretty anxious to see what the valve backsides look like. Fingers crossed!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Larrylu

Pics are embarrassingly bad, but I hope good enough to somewhat judge the build up.

Entry through the MAP sensor opening.

Looking at the tool directly gave me a slightly better view. Feel free to chime in with an opinion if the pic quality allows. In my ignorance I didn't think it looked too bad. No treatments as yet and no catch cans.

J-Will

My apologies for my newbness-

A dose of Seafoam doesn't cut it anymore?
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

panther427

Not exactly. Adding some via vacuum to upper cylinder is the only way it will see the valves... same with any in tank fuel additive. 
2013 SHO

J-Will

Can't go in at the intake manifold and spray it?
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap