• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Finally Bit

Started by MDesign Performance, May 23, 2014, 02:45:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

With all this talk about PCV and carbon build up issues it made me think of possible fixes. One one would be to have BG Full Service done and throw BG 44k into the tank every 5000 miles there on after. Option two, water/methanol injection kit.

Having the ability to spray methanol into your intake manifold system not only as a performance booster but a cleaner at the same time has me sold and I got bit by the methanol injected bug. What I am interested in is finding current methanol users to give back some solid data as to document how much of a difference a methanol infused GDI EcoBoost engine would have versus a similarity equipped vehicle without the meth kit in regards to carbon build up.

It's no question carbon build up is a issue in GDI engines let alone our EcoBoost engines specifically (thanks to BG's tests on the SHO) but it's detrimental effect on performance is my main concern. The more performance modifications I add not only do I notice the improvement in power, I also feel the difference when my car needs a bottle of quality fuel injector cleaner or has bad gas (no pun intended). I feel there is no point to keep modifying an engine with an obvious power robbing issue without taking care of it first. I also believe if we can understand methanol injection more and become more familiar with it we can all reep it's benefits not only in performance but also engine longevity and there would be more safely equipped methanol injected 3.5L EcoBoost vehicles prowling around.

So does any methanol injected member have access to a boresscope?
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

JimiJak

Awesome to hear!!

Have you checked out the links in the water math injection tab?
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

crash712us

Sure wish I had access to a bore scope. I've been running meth for over 2yrs and I have been curious myself. I will have to start asking everyone I know to see if I can round one up. I just can't justify spending the money on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2014, 04:11:29 PM
Something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-resolution-digital-inspection-camera-with-recorder-60695.html

Yea something of that sort would be great!

Quote from: JimiJak on May 23, 2014, 06:58:37 PM
Awesome to hear!!

I've been reading up on how methanol injection kits work in general. Also been scoping out different brand universal kits trying to put together a economical kit, trying to expand my options as best as I can. Also notice some spray at specific boost or RPM while others can work by the throttle.

Quote from: crash712us on May 23, 2014, 10:42:32 PM
Sure wish I had access to a bore scope. I've been running meth for over 2yrs and I have been curious myself. I will have to start asking everyone I know to see if I can round one up. I just can't justify spending the money on one.

Yea if you don't already own the tool it is not worth it to purchase, I was trying to see if anyone might have some connections to a family/friend mechanic or someone who is well connected at their dealer to get a quick peek.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

SwampRat

Quote from: Spartn27 on May 23, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on May 23, 2014, 04:11:29 PM
Something like this?

http://www.harborfreight.com/high-resolution-digital-inspection-camera-with-recorder-60695.html

Awesome to hear!!

I've been reading up on how methanol injection kits work in general. Also been scoping out different brand universal kits trying to put together a economical kit, trying to expand my options as best as I can. Also notice some spray at specific boost or RPM while others can work by the throttle.

Less expensive USB borescopes are available .

This is one example of many at 39.99 ...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/agptek-mini-usb-borescope-endoscope-inspection-tube-pipe-snake-led-camera-10m-waterproof-4-led-video/1306344560.p?id=mp1306344560&skuId=1306344560

2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

JimiJak

http://www.amazon.com/Southwire-51010S-Borescope-Inspection-Camera/dp/B00FOANRT2/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt/188-8375107-3695906

I've used this one. $57 on amazon. It worked out really well. Much like some more expensive ones I've used. Highly recommend for the $$!

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SwampRat on May 24, 2014, 12:15:15 AM
Quote from: Spartn27 on May 23, 2014, 11:17:42 PM
[quDeote author=SHOdded link=topic=3048.msg45182#msg45182 date=1400875889]
Something like this?

Awesome to hear!!

Less expensive USB borescopes are available .

This is one example of many at 39.99 ...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/agptek-mini-usb-borescope-endoscope-inspection-tube-pipe-snake-led-camera-10m-waterproof-4-led-video/1306344560.p?id=mp1306344560&skuId=1306344560
I have those connections, I'm working on it. My list for them continues to grow.

They are just stacked with work which is a good thing.

SHOdded

A couple more USB borescopes (tx for the idea, SR):

3.5 Inches LCD Inspection Camera Borescope Endoscope Scope Zoom Rotate (TD0310) ($28 final cost!)
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JO69EPI

Vividia 8mm USB Flexible Inspection Camera Borescope Endoscope
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004WY9F7E

WiFi Inspection Camera Borescope Endoscope HD Waterproof iPad IPhone iOS Android 3M 1.0Mega Pixles
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HJJLSRO
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

JimiJak

Has anyone used one of the usbs?

SHOdded

I have not, but I am very likely going to get the Mr. El Cheapo one.  Will report back at that time.

MDesign Performance

Larrylu

Been wanting to take a look at the backside of my intakes for a while now. At these prices I'm sure I will be buying one of these bargains. Is there a designated best spot to introduce the scope to peek at the valve backs?
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

Is there any danger of dislodging the carbon buildup when you are sticking the probe down the intake? I have a scope. I have even looked into the cac. I am just terrified to screw something up.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 24, 2014, 11:35:13 AM
Is there any danger of dislodging the carbon buildup when you are sticking the probe down the intake? I have a scope. I have even looked into the cac. I am just terrified to screw something up.

That's the thing, that depends on how much carbon build up you currently have and you won't really know unless you look. Though I doubt you will damage anything unless they are extremely covered in carbon.