• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Check out this video

Started by jtoddk98, May 20, 2014, 07:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeanKS

Is the induction service he was talking about the same as a 3 stage fuel system cleaning?
MKS-EB...

IHeartGroceries

Glad to see the (theoretical) simplicity of a valve cleaning mentioned. Removing/replacing the head? What illogical nonsense. Unless, like stated, it is simply for research.
Walnut media blasting is quite popular for clearing deposits in GDI top ends, and has been for years.
Shoot, valve cleaning falls under regular, routine maintenance for the Mazda MZR - manual cleaning, in fact, performed by many owners with little more than wire brushes, solvent and a shop vac.
With or without control measures, such as OCCs, you should still consider valve cleaning as a routine, PITA piece of maintenance. AFAIK, it is for all turbo GDI.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

jtoddk98

2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

ShoBoat

Interesting, I am going to have to take a look at the other intake valves on mine. I only checked the first 2, On the 3.5 EB the PCV comes in on the back of the intake. I will have to see if I can get my camera down and get a pic of the intake valves closest to the port. This could get expensive having to pull the intake manifold to do a manual cleaning every 20K miles.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

I guess you could always add 4DR's aux port injected manifold as a labor-saving solution to keep 'em valves clean :D  J/K!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

so ultimately what should we do or look out for ???

i'm not getting the point...
MKS-EB...

jtoddk98

No one knows yet. The Ford engineers are still working on that. Probably will devise a chemical cleaner approved for use in the Ecoboost engine. For now, just run premium gas (I only use Shell or BP) and dump a can of BG 44K in the tank every 5k miles. Use only full synthetic oil and keep your foot in it to help prevent the buildup in the first place. Hopefully Ford will have a solution soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

Josephm

Quote from: IHeartGroceries on May 21, 2014, 10:13:59 PM
Glad to see the (theoretical) simplicity of a valve cleaning mentioned. Removing/replacing the head? What illogical nonsense. Unless, like stated, it is simply for research.
Walnut media blasting is quite popular for clearing deposits in GDI top ends, and has been for years.
Shoot, valve cleaning falls under regular, routine maintenance for the Mazda MZR - manual cleaning, in fact, performed by many owners with little more than wire brushes, solvent and a shop vac.
With or wi0thout control measures, such as OCCs, you should still consider valve cleaning as a routine, PITA piece of maintenance. AFAIK, it is for all turbo GDI.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Mazdaspeedforums has a couple write ups on this procedure.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

MeanKS

Quote from: jtoddk98 on May 31, 2014, 09:55:08 PM
No one knows yet. The Ford engineers are still working on that. Probably will devise a chemical cleaner approved for use in the Ecoboost engine. For now, just run premium gas (I only use Shell or BP) and dump a can of BG 44K in the tank every 5k miles. Use only full synthetic oil and keep your foot in it to help prevent the buildup in the first place. Hopefully Ford will have a solution soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how doees Marvel Mystery oil compare to BG44K?
MKS-EB...

Tuner Boost

Marvel Mystery oil will actually contribute to deposits, but not in any amount that should matter.  BG did their testing doing cleanings at regular intervals preventing big deposits from forming. It is the larger particles that are broken loose impacting the turbine blades that causes the damage.

The main thing this shows is what I have been sharing all along, this is an issue with ALL direct injection gasoline engines (4 stroke) suffer from. The EB has the LEAST severe coking of any we have studied.  It still is great data to prove the need for a properly designed catchcan that corrects the EB's PCV design flaw and traps all the oil/gunk from ingestion.

Eliminate this mix from entering in the first place and you will have very little coking over the life of the engine.

But, I highly recommend doing a manual valve cleaning as described here after installing the RX system:

http://www.bowtiev6.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=2748

SHOdded

Quote from: Tuner Boost on June 02, 2014, 02:53:31 PM
The EB has the LEAST severe coking of any we have studied.
This is great to hear, Tracy.  I guess we should be giving Ford a pat on the back, relatively speaking :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Tuner Boost

Just do a Google search on:  Direct Injection Intake valve coking

You will see how bad BMW, GM and some others have this issue!!   

wasinger3000

Possible to add a very small amount of some kind of fuel system cleaner to a meth injection system? So it would help break down previous miles of build up in the process. Or is the meth enough to break it down?

Sent using smoke signals.

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

scap99

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 02, 2014, 05:48:24 PM
Possible to add a very small amount of some kind of fuel system cleaner to a meth injection system? So it would help break down previous miles of build up in the process. Or is the meth enough to break it down?

Sent using smoke signals.

Imho, since the valve stem and carbon coke is hot, and you're hitting it with a liquid aerosol that is flashing to "steam", I'd think that would crack the build-up over time, and/or prevent future build-up.

Eta: water meth only...
I don't see the need for anything else in the tank.

painterpatt

Wait, did someone say that messing with the pcv voids warranty???? Like the RX can??
Koolaid drinkin, Flex drivin !!