• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

How long does it take to install a tune the first time?

Started by 65460, November 28, 2013, 10:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heres the deal, I REALLY want to put a tune in my 2014 SHO, BUT I have trouble just trying to pare my phone to the car and Im concerned that a tune may be more difficult.
I contacted LMS via email with my concern and they said that it was so easy a nine year old could do it. I have no doubt that's true, the problem is Im a 59 year old.
You guys talk about the different tuners and 3 bar whatchamacallits and Im lost. Im really not impressed with the stock performance of the car at all but Im concerned about trying to throw a tune on it when Im not a computer wizard.
If it was a carburetor with a jet change, etc. Id have it done in no time.
Soooo, how long should it take a rookie first timer?
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

Kolk1

I think the first time was a little longer. Maybe 15 minutes? It has to download your stock tune, so you are just sitting there watching a progress bar with nothing to do.

One thing that I didnt know when starting to tune my car, the car needs to be ON but not running, to do this, you have to hold the start button for about 5 seconds with your foot off the brake. Just tapping the start button only puts it into ACC mode.

DJE624

It really doesn't take long at all.  Maybe ten minutes. Make sure everything is off.  A/C etc.  Hold the start button like Kolk said w/o the brake on.  PM me if you want to talk on the phone about it.

Thanks guys. I guess Ill call LMS and order what the tell me I need. Life's too short to drive a slow SHO.
Dave, thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

BiGMaC

65460... If you have a 2013 or newer SHO you don't need to hold the start button... just push it without stepping on the brake 2 times and you're immediately in "accessory" mode... that is on, but not running youl'll know 'cuz the idiot lights come on.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

EcoBrick Bob

For someone who is older than DIRT... It took me a couple weeks!!! but that was to get the tune into my SCT tuner... LOL  It's really eazy... the 100th time you do it!!!
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EB Bob, you do not instill confidence in me :-)
And I probably should have mentioned in my original post that the car is a 2014. I didn't realize it made a difference.
Once again, thank you all for your help.
Chuck
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

BlueSHO

Just be forewarned that some strange things might happen when loading the tune. On my 13 Sport I loaded my tune as instructed by the directions with everything turned off. Well in the process of reflashing my HVAC came on, the seat moved forward a little and the blis lights came on in the mirrors. I talked to lms and they said that was normal. Tune loaded OK but I have loaded tunes on my Lightning and Cobra hundreds of times and never seen that before. But like it was said it's easy to load a tune.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

DJE624

Well I just ordered a Tuner from Brandon at LMS and we'll see how it goes. It appears that its not rocket science so there should be no problem. Thanks for the heads up about the possibility of some of the lights flashing. That may have given me an "Oh s%#t now what did I do" moment.
Thanks again for everyone help.
Chuck
2014 Black SHO
Livernois 93 Tune

QuickSilver

Quote from: 65460 on November 29, 2013, 02:08:09 PM
Well I just ordered a Tuner from Brandon at LMS and we'll see how it goes. It appears that its not rocket science so there should be no problem. Thanks for the heads up about the possibility of some of the lights flashing. That may have given me an "Oh s%#t now what did I do" moment.
Thanks again for everyone help.
Chuck

Yeah, mine's been sitting in the box all week, it"s been busy with T-Giving and all that  but I think I've been a lil apprehensive to take the plunge too :-
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

Frozen Taurus

Any 4300lb 4 door car that can run sub 14 sec 1/4's is not slow but the desire to run faster will always haunt me for sure. I have run with no tune since I got my SHO in May and it still puts a smile on my face and this is coming from a guy with a near 600 hp import.
2011 Tuxedo Black SHO non PP, K&N drop in, TCE Big Brake Kit, Megan Racing Coilovers
My other car is a 447 awhp Talon

BiGMaC

Quote from: Frozen Taurus on November 29, 2013, 09:42:42 PM
Any 4300lb 4 door car that can run sub 14 sec 1/4's is not slow but the desire to run faster will always haunt me for sure. I have run with no tune since I got my SHO in May and it still puts a smile on my face and this is coming from a guy with a near 600 hp import.

I try to tell people how much fun this sleeper is to drive... and it is.    Still I'm planning to ease up to about 450-500 AWHP over the next year.. then it will be even more fun!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock