• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Thermostat

Started by BlueSHO, September 21, 2013, 08:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fast SHO

If you live in an area that gets really hot in the summer I would say it is worth it.  Otherwise, not so much.
2014 SHO PP

QuickSilver

I did mine last weekend, you can add me to the at-least-a-half-gallon-lost club :o I drilled a .030 hole in the stat to make the burping a non issue.  You'll notice looking at the factory stat that it is already predrilled with a small plug like bleeder in it.  What I thought was odd is that the temp gauge reads EXACTLY the same. Didn't budge down even a litle :hmmm:
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

black99lightning

Quote from: Fast SHO on November 22, 2013, 07:35:58 PM
If you live in an area that gets really hot in the summer I would say it is worth it.  Otherwise, not so much.

Live between Baton Rouge and New Orleans, so it gets pretty hot and humid.  I'll probably change it.
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

BiGMaC

The AZ desert can hit 120o in Phx and stay in the upper 90's all night. It would help here, but under hood temps rise quickly so lack of "cold air" becomes a power eater

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

BigPelo

Quote from: QuickSilver on November 23, 2013, 12:26:48 PM
What I thought was odd is that the temp gauge reads EXACTLY the same. Didn't budge down even a litle :hmmm:

You need to be tune to take advantage of the lower temp thermostat. Now my temp gauge barely go up before stabilizing.
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs
Daily beater: 2002 WRX wagon swap JDM STi v7 20G'd

BigPelo

I had 2 CEL P0128 since Friday (Coolant thermostat - coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature). I am starting to think my 170F thermostat is stock open. Engine took forever to warm up and I have very little heat form vents. Coolant level is back to recommended and I burp the system like 5 times.

Is there a way to verify the working condition of the T-stat without taking it out?
Week-end family transporter: 2013 SHO tuxedo black, performance package, unleashed custom 94 octane tune, K&N Typhoon intake, 170F thermostat, 3 bar MAP sensor, SP534 spark plugs, 5000K HID Morimoto mini D2S projectors retrofit, tinted windows, Full LED lighting in and out, Eibach springs

ecoboostsho

It sounds like yours is definitely stuck open...I have the lower temp thermostat and the tune and it warms right up and stays there...albeit 10 degree or so cooler than stock but the needle is definitely on the chart so to speak.

I believe you could let the car cool and then start it.  You shouldn't have any pressure in your radiator hose when the car is cold if the thermostat is closed...when it opens you should have flow and there should be some pressure in the hose.  It might be subtle but you should be able to tell.
2013 White SHO w/PP, Gearhead Tuned, 3 Bar, 160T, Plugs...Mess with the Bull and you'll get the Horn. :)
Previous 2011 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP - 12.89 1/4 Mile

BigPelo

Problem solve. The o-ring wasn't well sitted and coolant was leaking. That's why I was also re-filling coolant everyday without attaining recommended level.

Feel n00b.

SHOdded

Glad the problem is resolved!  On to enjoying the benefits, BigPelo!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

BiGMaC

Glad you found it.  Cruising in style now!
Sometimes it's the smallest things... just hard to find in that crowded engine compartment that we have. :doh:

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock