• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lanson's 2013 Flex - Extreme SQ audio (re)build

Started by Lanson, April 10, 2014, 01:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: Lanson on May 11, 2014, 03:35:18 PM
Here's another day's work

The left side wiring completed through the door (Casper strikes again!)

This time around I took more pics of how I treated the door panel.  This is stock

In-progress

Test fit of the driver's side

Heavily deadened

So that's all the pictures I took, the door panel went back on without a fuss and it all bolted together back to stock-look. 

As far as the physical equipment installation goes, this system's front stage is DONE!  I still need to re-re-redo the pillars and perfect them, but the rest of the system is complete.  I was going to make a center grille but for now I like the look of the exposed speaker.  I've already got the grille cut and ready for cloth when I feel like it. 

Now that these speakers are installed, amp channels have been reassigned, and all has settled, I have a new calibration.  Here it is:

Pillars are high-passed 4th order at 370hz
Door 8's are band-passed 4th order, 70hz - 370hz
Center is high-passed 4th order at 90hz
Rear doors high-passed 4th order 120hz
Sub is low-passed 4th order 70hz, and infrasonic filter 20hz 1st order

This is now ready for auditions for anybody who's semi-local.  It sounds insane FYI.

How sharp is the cutoff in your passes?...(?dB/octave)

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Quote from: Lanson on May 11, 2014, 08:35:48 PM
Well yes I could but the SQ won't come through.  It would be a recording of a system playing a recording. 
It don't matter to me!  I just wanna hear this beast!!!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

4th order is another way of saying 24dB/oct. crossover.
I'm utilizing these steep slopes to minimize driver interactions.  This is what makes the MS-8 work the best I believe.  I'm following more of Andy W's advice on that.

This is not the case on the passive crossovers, those are 2nd order (12dB/oct.) Bessell alignment (~5200hz)
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

BiGMaC

Quote from: Lanson on May 12, 2014, 12:42:08 AM

4th order is another way of saying 24dB/oct. crossover.
I'm utilizing these steep slopes to minimize driver interactions.  This is what makes the MS-8 work the best I believe.  I'm following more of Andy W's advice on that.

This is not the case on the passive crossovers, those are 2nd order (12dB/oct.) Bessell alignment (~5200hz)

Thanks!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Lanson

Hey guys and gals, let's do an update!

So this time around, I pulled out the good camera, hopefully this will help present what's happening in these doors better than the phone camera. 

Over the last few days, I've taken my time and worked on each door.  I took the JBL Power 8662 6x8 coaxials that I had in the front doors before I started this (re)build), and I installed those to the rear doors with some strategic, mild deadening.  I used about 2 sheets of RAAMmat per door in the rear.

The front doors were really shaking up with the bass these RS225-4 drivers can put out.  This was annoying and it was screwing up the presentation.  So the front doors and door panels were heavily reinforced with extra sheets as well, and I tediously went through the door's small bits that rub or vibrate together to quiet them down.  I added deadener to small parts to prevent them from shaking and making noise, and added Ensolite closed-cell foam to parts to hold them tight together and reduce squeaking.  I went through about 3 sheets more per door in the front.

I started with the rear doors.  Now these won't be playing super-low frequencies like the front doors do, in fact the crossover point is higher than you would typically think (120Hz) and this is so the front stage absolutely anchors as dominant...and the MS-8 processor makes the rear speakers work out of phase with the front because they only play the out of phase material in the original source.  If they were crossed lower, the out of phase data would destructively interfere with the in-phase data from the front speakers, and cancel out some of the output.  Crossing higher than 100hz is highly recommended for a surround processed-system like the MS-8 creates.

I began by temporarily peeling back the rear door's vapor barrier

And I installed the deadener where the door seemed to resonate the most, after being given the "rapp" test.  These are pics of both rear doors at work.

I then cut the connector off the speaker wire, and direct-connected it to the JBL external crossover box which ended up making the short stock wire a non-issue.  Yay!

Those were then installed without any issues, and the factory door panel put right back on.  EASY!

I then moved on to the front doors.  My son "helped"

Here's the final look of the passenger door, which is what I started with

Note the foam by the spring clip holes

Deadener everywhere

And the driver's door

The front doors went back together without a hitch.  Final results of this effort are positive, and the insane rattles are gone.  I can't stop a few rattles, at high volume though.  The darn metal belt trim all around the car makes rattling noises on certain notes when its turned way up.  The rear bumper foam vibrates a bit, and the driver and passenger mirror's internal bits do too.  At sane volumes none of this happens so I'm OK with this. 

So what remains of this project is possibly an amp upgrade (need more channels of power and possibly more total power), and a re-covering of the pillars after I touch up the filler and such underneath.  Also I'm contemplating trying a new set of pillars with an even better speaker combo, but that's just on the back-burner.  I suppose also I'll need to consider upgrading my subs at some point, as they are now having a bit of difficulty keeping up.  It is all a process of continual advancement and experience.

Anybody local is welcome to audition it, pretty much any time.  Any constructive critiquing is welcome as well, as that's what it will take to get it to the next level.  I'm damn happy with it though, and it serves as my before and after-work decompression chamber very well.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

panther427

2013 SHO

Lanson

I spent some time today and I recorded a detailed, annotated walk-through of my whole system and put it on Youtube.

This is part 1, which is mostly the walk-through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnYlkQV ... CmHCYhnxeQ

This is part 2, the system demonstration
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-O-Xo ... CmHCYhnxeQ

SHOdded

2013 Ford Flex audio upgrade walk-through (Part. 1 of 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnYlkQVrvs0

2013 Ford Flex audio upgrade walk-through (Part 2 of 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-O-XoPVMg

I think any distortion that I heard was coming from the mike.  The source sounded very very good, at SACD quality, even through my interpretive devices :)  Are you using a lossless source? 
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Quote from: SHOdded on May 26, 2014, 07:32:03 AM
2013 Ford Flex audio upgrade walk-through (Part. 1 of 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnYlkQVrvs0

2013 Ford Flex audio upgrade walk-through (Part 2 of 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61-O-XoPVMg

I think any distortion that I heard was coming from the mike.  The source sounded very very good, at SACD quality, even through my interpretive devices :)  Are you using a lossless source?

Nah, just standard 320kbps MP3 playing there on most of that.  But the NIN was a CD playing in the slot so that was lossless.

Sneaktip

2013 Black SHO K&N CAI, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Eibach springs, 22" Avarus AV6 wheels, 265/30-22 Lexani tires. Custom audio system

Lanson