• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Has ANYONE EVER had warranty work denied by Ford?

Started by JimiJak, May 18, 2014, 01:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CroR1

I guess the reason I say to test the oil is just to make sure the oil shop actually used the oil he brought in, and did not make mistake by putting something else in. Which would not be surprising if there was miscommunication, or someone was daydreaming on their job.

MeanKS

Quote from: ZSHO on January 14, 2016, 07:31:44 PM
MeanKS are there any codes present at the moment? Receipts are Golden,based on your post it sounds like the tech forgot to tighten the oil drain plug or filter.  Z

thats exactly what i think happened.  but we'll see.

i've had this tune for nearly 2 yrs.  makes no sense that it would all of a sudden blow the engine.
MKS-EB...

MeanKS

Quote from: CroR1 on January 14, 2016, 07:28:04 PM
How many miles on this blown engine? F, if additional 50 hp were the cause of this engine blowing, I'm selling my AFAIC, and never buying a Ford in my life again. Anyway, I would test for the right viscosity of oil that that shop used, proper filter, and then wait for Ford  to take the engine apart to see what went, before making an educated guess on the cause.

sorry Cro, that wasn't meant for you...
MKS-EB...

AJP turbo

im not sure why tou think a tune has to cause a failure immediately....after 2 years the constant extra stress could most defintely cause a failure....but since your conservative tune which has no extra power delivered makes you safe i guess
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MeanKS

Quote from: ajpturbo on January 14, 2016, 08:19:58 PM
The only troll here is probably me...CroR1 i dont think is a troll..im not sure why tou think a tune has to cause a failure immediately....after 2 years the constant extra stress could most defintely cause a failure....but since your conservative tune which has no extra power delivered makes you safe i guess

yes, its you.

of course there was some HP and TQ increases, but not even close to what you state.

and there was never 'constant extra stress'.  some of your rhetoric is ridiculous.
MKS-EB...

AJP turbo

Quote from: MeanKS on January 14, 2016, 08:27:14 PM
Quote from: ajpturbo on January 14, 2016, 08:19:58 PM
The only troll here is probably me...CroR1 i dont think is a troll..im not sure why tou think a tune has to cause a failure immediately....after 2 years the constant extra stress could most defintely cause a failure....but since your conservative tune which has no extra power delivered makes you safe i guess

yes, its you.

of course there was some HP and TQ increases, but not even close to what you state.

and there was never 'constant extra stress'.  some of your rhetoric is ridiculous.

How do you know how much tq increase?...if u have a typical 2 bar tune u do have around 100 ft lb increase in tq at flywheel
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

CroR1

I guess no sense in bickering around, let's just wait and see what the dealer says. How long will it take them to take the engine apart, what they said? i remember this one story by one of my buddy's when he took his car for transmission fluid change, and on his way home, half way, the trans pan came halfway lose and almost feel off. Someone forgot to put all the bolts in. Lol, we still laugh about it till this day.

SHOdded

Feel fer ya, MeanKS, been on the receiving end of improperly done oil changes a few times before.  Now, even with my trusted shop, I am used to double checking their work!  Best of luck with Ford, those receipts might be the key evidence.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

If the oil pressure light is displayed on the instrument cluster followed by a long history of service records and receipts especially most recent,that alone should warrant any and all applicable repairs in your favor and best of luck and keep us updated on any progress,and Btw sure hate to see this happen to anyone else on this or any other forum.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

MeanKS

sorry for the delay in response.

So Ford covered the new engine, really with no questions asked, which kinda surprised me.  i think it was because i had saved all my records and had been at the dealer a lot recently due to other issues.  they also replaced the torque converter, again i think because i had a previous issue with a squeak coming from what sounded like one of my wheels and the dealer thought it was a transmission issue with the AWD but hadn't got around to finalizing the diagnosis.

they are not entirely finished with the car, i will have to bring it in again soon.  they still need to fix the auto park controller (previous issue).  also, the car doesn't feel quite as strong as before (i'm talking w/o any tune) and the gas mileage is worse (15.5mpg).  i also hear a whistle coming from the engine (assume its one of the turbos) during WOT in first and second gear.

i think the lack of speed is probably more due to the transmission than the engine (maybe) i really don't know, but its very slow to kick down making passing on the highway less than effortless the way it was before.

does anyone have an idea of which 3.5 they used?  is it a gen 1 (2010-2012) or gen 2?

obviously i'm more wary to tune now, although i thoroughly believe its was a bad oil change that was the culprit, but i want to enjoy my car like i did before.

so we'll see...
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

Two steps forward ...  Hopefully they used the latest version of the engine, but it's hard to say, I imagine it has to be compatible with the PCM and all wiring harnesses, so they would minimize any spec differences between old & new, if such differences exist.  Might have gotten the updated valve covers with it, easily checked :)

The trans may need a teardown, or the PTU (or RDU) may need to be replaced.  Can't get any more definite than that at this point tho, I don't think ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MeanKS

Quote from: SHOdded on March 20, 2016, 06:38:53 PM
Two steps forward ...  Hopefully they used the latest version of the engine, but it's hard to say, I imagine it has to be compatible with the PCM and all wiring harnesses, so they would minimize any spec differences between old & new, if such differences exist.  Might have gotten the updated valve covers with it, easily checked :)

The trans may need a teardown, or the PTU (or RDU) may need to be replaced.  Can't get any more definite than that at this point tho, I don't think ...

thanks SHOdded.

anything specific i should do or ask?

i know i'm going to have to start all over with new plugs, 3 bar MAP, etc; but i'm not going to start any of that until they complete their work entirely...
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

I would mention the symptoms you have described:  the whistle and the lack of power.  Both could point to hoses not connected or tightened down properly, a common issue when doing more complex work in the engine bay.  Also ask them to verify that the turbos and PTU are ok (no leaks).  Since you have an MKS, there's a higher likelihood that the PTU IS ok from what I have seen so far, but ask anyway.

Did they install a shortblock or longblock, do you know?

MeanKS

no i don't.  what is the difference?

i have the service records.  is there something i can look for to see which?
MKS-EB...

SHOdded

Short Block
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_block
Long Block
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_block

If the valve covers are composite rather than aluminum, they likely put in a longblock.  Put up a pic of the receipt (with personal info hidden of course), maybe there's an indication there, maybe not.  What year is your MKS btw?