• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Has ANYONE EVER had warranty work denied by Ford?

Started by JimiJak, May 18, 2014, 01:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FoMoCoSHO

There is something very important everyone needs to take from crash's story.....maintenance! Make sure you keep excellent records if you don't have it dealership serviced. Make sure your exotic oils and fluids meet all of Fords standards because that is one thing I know for sure will get your claim denied. I find it simpler just to take my stuff to the dship.....have them do the labor using my fluids.

Tuner Boost

Also what I have heard (though rare) is a dealer that denies a warranty and charges the customer AND submits for warranty reimbursement.  I have never seen it personally, just was related from an ex-employee.  Hope that is very rare.

donky4444

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 20, 2014, 09:24:25 AM
There is something very important everyone needs to take from crash's story.....maintenance! Make sure you keep excellent records if you don't have it dealership serviced. Make sure your exotic oils and fluids meet all of Fords standards because that is one thing I know for sure will get your claim denied. I find it simpler just to take my stuff to the dship.....have them do the labor using my fluids.

This is what I do  I buy the oil and filter and pay them to do the labor.  $14.95 is cheap labor for an oil change.  Plus when I go to sell the car I have proof of all maintenance done on my car which is always a good selling point.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

JimiJak

So we've heard from crash and about crash's friend, a couple of un-honored tsb's, and I've been pm'd with one instance of a dealer basically "warning" a customer to make sure they have their car back to stock when they bring it in for work.

This thread has 530views.

Happily, this is the response I was hoping to see. Please, if anyone else has had warranty work denied due to mods, please share so we can get a more accurate sense of this topic's prevalence.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

panther427

This isn't Ford specific but when I modded as a mechanic for GM and Chrysler Dodge Jeep. I had only seen all few cases of voided and refusal To do warranty work. Most cases where due to extremely modded vehicles or horrible maintenance and or neglect. 
2013 SHO

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: JimiJak on May 20, 2014, 07:41:52 PM
So we've heard from crash and about crash's friend, a couple of un-honored tsb's, and I've been pm'd with one instance of a dealer basically "warning" a customer to make sure they have their car back to stock when they bring it in for work.

This thread has 530views.

Happily, this is the response I was hoping to see. Please, if anyone else has had warranty work denied due to mods, please share so we can get a more accurate sense of this topic's prevalence.

Returning the car back to stock for the purposes of troubleshooting is pretty common.

MeanKS

sadly, i may be testing this topic soon.

engine essentially blew up, i guess, with oil spilled all along my street.  i was lucky it happened close enough to home that i could coast and park it.  only thing it has is an unleashed tune, nothing overly aggressive.  i haven't even been running it alot lately, mostly been stock.  I did get the oil changed a few days ago, i have my receipts, and i'm thinking that shop may have done something wrong.  i've used them before and they've been good, but when i checked my oil a couple of days ago it was very low, especially considering it had just been changed.  i called the owner/manager and asked them if they put the entire 6 quarts i brought into the car.  he talked to his tech and the guy said yes.  so i added another quart and check the level and it was good.  then last night the whole blow up thing happens!?!  I spoke to him today to let him know the situation.  he seems pretty confident that they are not at fault.  i told him i will have it towed to the dealer and see what their diagnostic says.  He's a cool guy and has given me good advice, he even loaded my tune to the car.  But techs make mistakes sometimes.

the car was very recently at the dealership for servicing, actually its been at the dealer alot lately which has me a little frustrated, and i have all the records.  I've been trying to get all problems solved before the warranty ended.  this particular dealership was really good in the past, but their service dept has fallen off in the last year and their are different people working there than before.

we'll see what happens.  if any of you have any advice, please let me know.

i did return the car to stock, as all the electronics are still working so i was able to load it...
MKS-EB...

AJP turbo

I like when people say all it has is a tune lol!...you realize thats everything in this car......if all it has is a "tune" why bother returning to stock?...sorry i have to play devils advocate....i wouldnt be suspicious of the unleashed tune...i used to run one and would run it again...but the torque increas is dramatic to say the least with a "tune".

Yeah i know all about the magnusson moss act and how the onus is on the mfg to prove the mods caused the failure....but i hate sticking up for the big guy corporation but id be ok with them making buyers sign a release waiver saying if you tune you most likely lose engine and drivetrain warranty ...just like the guy you buy the tune from has disclaimers protecting them from the failures of the tune they sold you...they dont want anything to do with the liability of your thoughtless quest for power

Its unfortunate for the mfg that not only are they on the hook to fix peoples cars that suffer failures due to neglect and poor maintenance but the also have to be on the watch for people trying to dupe them and perform fraud...after all thats why you returned to stock. So the heavy modification hopefully goes unnoticed.
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

MeanKS

do you have any idea of what you're talking about?

there is no heavy modification!  basically all my tune did was increase throttle response.  i specifically wanted and received a conservative tune w no transmission shift programming at all.  no 3bar map, meth, etc...

anyway, these engines have been shown to make way north of 500 HP quite reliably.

like i said, if you read my entire post, is that i believe it was the oil change that was the issue.  i think the tech made some mistake at the other shop.  my car has been at the dealer  many times for service and i keep all records.  if the tuning was causing problems, i'm sure they would have noticed.
MKS-EB...

glock-coma

Any visible exterior engine damage? Are you sure it  blew up or did you just lose a gasket somewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

AJP turbo

Quote from: MeanKS on January 14, 2016, 06:49:47 PM
do you have any idea of what you're talking about?

there is no heavy modification!  basically all my tune did was increase throttle response.  i specifically wanted and received a conservative tune w no transmission shift programming at all.  no 3bar map, meth, etc...

anyway, these engines have been shown to make way north of 500 HP quite reliably.

like i said, if you read my entire post, is that i believe it was the oil change that was the issue.  i think the tech made some mistake at the other shop.  my car has been at the dealer  many times for service and i keep all records.  if the tuning was causing problems, i'm sure they would have noticed.

No i dont

So u have an unleashed tune with no boost increase , just throttle response...good for you....you are on an island all by yourself on that one

Why would the dealer try and notice if a tune was causing problems...not even on their radar for normal maintenance...and why would u remove the tune if they never said anything before?...fishy fishy

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

CroR1

How many miles on this blown engine? F, if additional 50 hp were the cause of this engine blowing, I'm selling my AFAIC, and never buying a Ford in my life again. Anyway, I would test for the right viscosity of oil that that shop used, proper filter, and then wait for Ford  to take the engine apart to see what went, before making an educated guess on the cause.

ZSHO

MeanKS are there any codes present at the moment? Receipts are Golden,based on your post it sounds like the tech forgot to tighten the oil drain plug or filter.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

AJP turbo

Quote from: CroR1 on January 14, 2016, 07:28:04 PM
How many miles on this blown engine? F, if additional 50 hp were the cause of this engine blowing, I'm selling my AFAIC, and never buying a Ford in my life again. Anyway, I would test for the right viscosity of oil that that shop used, proper filter, and then wait for Ford  to take the engine apart to see what went, before making an educated guess on the cause.

He brought them his own oil so i have to assume he used the viscosity in the owners manual.....and i wouldnt worry about the hp increase but the massive tq increase that the "tune" delivers which is  can be 100 ftlbs for a 2 bar tune and 150 ftlbs for a 3 bar at the crank

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress