• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Has ANYONE EVER had warranty work denied by Ford?

Started by JimiJak, May 18, 2014, 01:53:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimiJak

If you've ever had any warranty work denied or your factory warranty voided, for ANY reason, this is your thread. We need to hear about it!

Please, no; my sister's cousin's uncle's brother's, stories. First or maybe strong second hand stories only.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

Dxlnt1

Dont know if this is right place for this, so I will create separate post too.

As my car now sits at dealer awaiting transmission repairs, I was told by dealer that ANY repairs that may come under TSB or recall from Ford are NOT automatically repaired. Only time it is addressed is IF customer has specific complaint that leads to TSB or recall issue. This seems strange to me. I never had this approach by any car manufacturer. Typically if car goes into dealer, once VIN is submitted, any and all service needed including TSB, recall, oil change or any other "maintenance" item is documented, noted and repaired.

One of the first things dealer said to me about my car when I took it in for transmission problems was, "you are due for oil change! Want us to change your oil?"  And, "your transmission fluid is a little low! Although car not having any problems relating to a late oil change (like a thrown or bent rod, lol) then why cant or wont they do the same check for TSB's and such. Especially if safety and maintenance of vehicles is the primary concern? Just saying!

http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,3008.0.html
2011 SHO, 3 Bar, AJP Turbo-Tune, ACES IV, Boostane 170 T-stat, PPE Catted DP's, Alpine Sound system, Touch screen HVAC controls, full window tint

kinder

Most dealers I have worked for here in Canada do TSB's on cars as soon as they see it needs it.

I have seen many dealers refuse warranty work when they see that the problem, even if it may have been prevented by a TSB, may be caused by abuse/ modification.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

JimiJak

I know we've all heard of it happening, but I want a first hand report of someone getting told their warranty was no good because of a mod or something.
It's a topic that gets brought up a lot on this forum andba concern of many of our. Just wondering how prevalent, or if it's just an urban legend. LOL

Anyone??
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

BiGMaC

Quote from: JimiJak on May 19, 2014, 11:24:43 AM
I know we've all heard of it happening, but I want a first hand report of someone getting told their warranty was no good because of a mod or something.
It's a topic that gets brought up a lot on this forum andba concern of many of our. Just wondering how prevalent, or if it's just an urban legend. LOL

Anyone??

I'm like JimiJak.... Any first hand reports... especially FORD, and especially EB engines

I have yet to see an actual denial of service/cancellation of warranty here.... I'd like to here from someone who had it happen to them... not more speculation and 2nd party reports

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

crash712us

I've had it happen to me, and I guy I work with also. For myself dealer refused to warranty. I still have factory warranty intact. My coworker ford axed his warranty. His issue was cam phasers, and the voided his warranty saying he didn't change his oil often enough on a truck that only had 20k on it. For myself had drive line whine which the dealer said was PTU and warrantied. When that didn't fixed it was a bearing in trans and they said they wouldn't submit they claim to ford due to the mods I had on my car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

FoMoCoSHO

Did you go to a different dealer? Its not the dealerships call to honor or not honor your warranty.

Tuner Boost

For ages we bought new F350 dually diesels for the race team every 3 years or so, the first one after the 7.3 was dropped (6.0 diesel if I remember?) lifted the heads (as they all did) and when we brought it in the dealer refused warranty claiming the K&N filter we added caused it.  Went to dealer down the road (a Lincoln Mercury dealer) where we did not buy it from and they warrantied it no problem.  And the second, and 3rd time as well. Then we did our own ARP head studs and no more problems after that.

Needless to say that dealer NEVER will get another purchase from us.....they lost a good long term customer, but the other dealer went up and above the call of duty.  Bad dealers and good dealers.

MeanKS

Quote from: crash712us on May 19, 2014, 02:06:15 PM
I've had it happen to me, and I guy I work with also. For myself dealer refused to warranty. I still have factory warranty intact. My coworker ford axed his warranty. His issue was cam phasers, and the voided his warranty saying he didn't change his oil often enough on a truck that only had 20k on it. For myself had drive line whine which the dealer said was PTU and warrantied. When that didn't fixed it was a bearing in trans and they said they wouldn't submit they claim to ford due to the mods I had on my car.

so the mods were obvious?  was it the tune or something else?  did you try to flash to stock before bringing it in?
MKS-EB...

crash712us

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 19, 2014, 02:15:26 PM
Did you go to a different dealer? Its not the dealerships call to honor or not honor your warranty.

The dealer has to obligation to Ford motor to submit a valid claims. My dealer was aware of my mods to car, they warrantied PTU. And that didn't fix they couldn't turn around and say its the trans now. Especially when Ford head quarters is only 5mi's away. Ford would have sent a inspector and my warranty would be voided and the dealer would take a hit for submitting a invalid claim. Now should the repair been warrantied? I'd say yes, cause I have chalked up to being a faulty part. As I have more miles and more HP car now then I did prior to repair. But the rules are clear. If want to play be prepared to pay.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: crash712us on May 19, 2014, 03:50:27 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 19, 2014, 02:15:26 PM

The dealer has to obligation to Ford motor to submit a valid claims. My dealer was aware of my mods to car, they warrantied PTU. And that didn't fix they couldn't turn around and say its the trans now. Especially when Ford head quarters is only 5mi's away. Ford would have sent a inspector and my warranty would be voided and the dealer would take a hit for submitting a invalid claim. Now should the repair been warrantied? I'd say yes, cause I have chalked up to being a faulty part. As I have more miles and more HP car now then I did prior to repair. But the rules are clear. If want to play be prepared to pay.
Did you ever consider the possibility that they refused to submit your claim because they would've been charged back for the misdiagnosed PTU?

Your claim was a valid claim up to the point they are able to prove the mods caused the failure.

I know for a fact that dealerships and Ford can and do honor the warranties of modded cars. I know specifically of a f250 that had been heavily modded (flash, gigantic exhaust, intake, etc), Ford was aware, and they covered 2 transmissions. The third one they washed their hands of, fair enough. 3rd time around he had a tranny built to handle the power.

Having a tuned car does not automatically void your warranty, and Ford and good dealerships aren't running around voiding peoples warranties. In fact their policies have softened quite a bit since 04 ish.

That really sucks you were treated like that.

crash712us

Sure there are always possibilities and serval scenarios it could played out for. For yourself I would say you where very lucky in your situation. But I work for ford motor, I wouldn't say where soft at all on warranty issues. It's the manufactures greatest expense. I know at my plant they investigate ever warranty claim.

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: crash712us on May 19, 2014, 08:07:05 PM
Sure there are always possibilities and serval scenarios it could played out for. For yourself I would say you where very lucky in your situation. But I work for ford motor, I wouldn't say where soft at all on warranty issues. It's the manufactures greatest expense. I know at my plant they investigate ever warranty claim.

I absolutely believe warranty claims are their greatest expense. I would love to know how the numbers break down when comparing modded vs stock claims.

It seems like there are some very different outcomes depending on the dealership. My suspicion is that owner loyalty, and behavior of said owner may play a huge part in the outcomes of these issues as well. I guess my point is this is not a broad stroke policy issue, it seems to be taken case by case.

This wasn't my truck and i wouldn't have faulted ford if they had denied it, I'm sure you're aware of the crazy shite some of these diesel owners do to their trucks...this was a classic example. In fact I think Ford went above and beyond in this case.

I just hope if I'm ever in this situation with the SHO, I get similar consideration. Every dollar spent on vehicle purchases and service goes to Ford. If my mod was proven to cause the issue, I'd take my lumps. But for them to say modded car = voided warranty without any investigation as to the cause of the failed part is a bit hard to swallow.

MeanKS

crash, why didn't you try another dealer?

and why does the one dealer know about all your mods, did you tell them?

seems to me, you working directly for Ford makes your perspective, and resulting behavior, different from what most would probably do...
MKS-EB...

crash712us

They dealer chose cause I personally know the service manager. And do believe he did everything he could for me in my situation, without risking penalty to him self. So yes he was apprised of everything I did to my car, he was really in between a rock and hard place. The only he could do is give a great deal on the repairs, and from what he showed me for any one else it would have been double. And quote his words exactly. " if ford seen my car they'd void the warranty on the spot."
As I am a employee I will keep my opinions about Ford brief. Its not the place it use to be. Even with my coworkers ecoboost f150 with 20k on a cam phasers going out, which is well known problem. They wouldn't warranty because of varnish on internals, and he claims he changed the oil every 3-5k. And after working there for 28yrs you get to know a lot of people inside there, and nobody could help him. And he was told if he continued pursuing they'd just void his warranty all together.

I know all about magnus moss act. But Fords don't have to prove nothing, they got deeper pockets and better attorneys.