• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Custom 2.5" Exhaust Install

Started by SRT82ECOBOOST, May 14, 2014, 07:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SRT82ECOBOOST

After weighing out the options available from manufacturers for a 2.5" exhaust system I could not see myself separating that much hard earned cash from wallet for the gains/sound to be found. So I went ahead and started to do some value shopping to put together a custom system consisting of the following:
-I scored a slightly used Magnaflow straight through mid-muffler and Dynomax axle back from SHODYOU (Thanks again for the hook up)
-I then went to a local custom exhaust shop and we looked at the exhaust system and chose the best route for installation. We decided to run all 2.5" exhaust tubing with mandrel bends to the downpipe flanges.

In the end I will have a system that should match the performance of other 2.5" exhaust systems while still having a nice sound without any drone. The best part is that I will have only about $600 wrapped up in the entire set-up.

The install is going down this Friday, 5/16/14, and I will be sure to have some pictures and sound clips to follow.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged
Boston Acoustics 2.1 Audio Upgrade

bigmoneycloser

Very nice.. Can't wait to hear it..
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

yowen

I'm liking these exhausts that are being pioneered by members here rather than going for an off-the-shelf solution. It gives us an even wider variety of distinct sound clips in addition to the corsa's and magnaflow kits that have been installed.
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

SRT82ECOBOOST

The SHO just got dropped of that the exhaust shop. Let me know if anyone is interested in a stock exhaust if they are going back to stock to sell their vehicle.
2013 SHO PP in White Platinum Metallic Tricoat, PPE Downpipes, Livernois Stage V8/3 Bar, Custom 2.5" Catback, 170 T-stat, Airaid CAI, H+R Springs and debadged

SHODYOU

Hope you like it man!
Its gonna sound good... I know lol
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

JimiJak

"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

shoman04

I love my set up! I have about $780 in my unit but my x-pipe and DynoMax were brand new. And I made 405awhp/417tq.w/METH!
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

SRT82ECOBOOST

The install could not have been any more rewarding. The deal for the 2.5" exhaust tubing and installation was even better than expected as I snuck out the door for only $300.
I wanted to spend a little time with the system before I wrote a review. So after some in town and highway driving I am glad to report that I am very pleased with the system. After start up there is now some presence and deep tone while at idle. WOT is rewarded with some nice bark, which can also even be heard on downshifts. The only real negative is there is a very slight drone if I set the cruise control in the 82-85 mph range. This is easily avoidable by raising or lowering the cruise as needed.
I could highly recommend this set-up and it is probably only going to get better with time. Very interested in jumping at some downpipes in the very near future to really open things up.

yowen

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on May 19, 2014, 07:12:40 AM
The install could not have been any more rewarding. The deal for the 2.5" exhaust tubing and installation was even better than expected as I snuck out the door for only $300.
I wanted to spend a little time with the system before I wrote a review. So after some in town and highway driving I am glad to report that I am very pleased with the system. After start up there is now some presence and deep tone while at idle. WOT is rewarded with some nice bark, which can also even be heard on downshifts. The only real negative is there is a very slight drone if I set the cruise control in the 82-85 mph range. This is easily avoidable by raising or lowering the cruise as needed.
I could highly recommend this set-up and it is probably only going to get better with time. Very interested in jumping at some downpipes in the very near future to really open things up.

Sounds awesome! I take it there is no drone at 75-79mph? This tends to be the speed I cruise at. Going to go for catted or non-catted downpipes?
2010 Taurus SHO, Tuxedo Black
Awaiting Installation: Catless Downpipes, LMS Tune, 3Bar Map Sensor

SRT82ECOBOOST

^^^^75-79 mph just makes a tone like you have a modified exhaust. Very pleased with how this turned out and saved enough money from not buying a Corsa/Magnaflow to now have enough extra cash to buy downpipes.

Wilson

So what was the total out the door cost?

Also, sound clips or it didn't happen :D

Sent from my Lumia 1520 using Tapatalk
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

SRT82ECOBOOST

$515 for parts w/ shipping and labor.
Sound clip to come.