• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

PTU Auxiliary Pump Feed/Return Source

Started by MDesign Performance, May 15, 2014, 11:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDesign Performance

So I've been researching on how to get a auxiliary fluid pump setup for the PTU unit and have got almost everything figured out. I would be using a continuous electric fluid pump motor as linked below and a transmission cooler mounted either behind the grill or lower bumper. Question now is where do I run the feed/return lines on the PTU? Does the PTU need to be tapped or are there certain plugs that can be removed and a fitting inserted?

http://agrimart.net/shurflo-12vdc-diaphragm-bypass-pump-w-electrical-package/?gclid=COqjurK_r74CFXQiMgodigEAVg
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

crash712us

I have mentioned this idea many times. And do believe it is very do able, but it would require drilling and tapping a drain hole in PTU. Also if I where to do would have the pump thermostatically controlled as the pump probably not last long running continuously. Here is a diagram of where to drill in PTU, found on a edge forum.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

That's what I was afraid of, so basically you need to drop the PTU to avoid getting metal shavings in it when you tap it. Seems as that is the hardest part of the install, rest is just hooking up plumbing/wiring.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

SHOdded

I will ask over on the Edge forum if they dropped the PTU to do the drain plug install.  Someone had followed the instructions from the_natrix and had their mechanic do it.  I assume if you choose your location carefully and set a drill stop to the depth specified, you'd be ok, but ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Quote from: crash712us on May 16, 2014, 01:32:22 AMAlso if I where to do would have the pump thermostatically controlled as the pump probably not last long running continuously.

The pump is made to stay on continuously, they make some that are for temporary use only though being thermostatically controlled would definitely increase life span. I found these thermo switches that switch "on" and "off" at certain temperatures, the pump also uses a simple on/off switch wiring therefore I believe it would be really simple to get this setup. Here's the link to the switches which will also have to be tapped for in the PTU:

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=483&P=2014

Anyone know what the minimum operating temp of the fluid in the PTU should be? That would help us determine which switch to get.

Crash you're in Detroit so you're pretty local, interested in maybe tackling this task sometime this summer?!

crash712us

Quote from: Spartn27 on May 16, 2014, 10:36:49 AM
Quote from: crash712us on May 16, 2014, 01:32:22 AMAlso if I where to do would have the pump thermostatically controlled as the pump probably not last long running continuously.

The pump is made to stay on continuously, they make some that are for temporary use only though being thermostatically controlled would definitely increase life span. I found these thermo switches that switch "on" and "off" at certain temperatures, the pump also uses a simple on/off switch wiring therefore I believe it would be really simple to get this setup. Here's the link to the switches which will also have to be tapped for in the PTU:

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Product.aspx?SG=8&S=35&G=483&P=2014

Anyone know what the minimum operating temp of the fluid in the PTU should be? That would help us determine which switch to get.

Crash you're in Detroit so you're pretty local, interested in maybe tackling this task sometime this summer?!
I would guess 160f would a nice operating temp. Spart I would love to be able to get together to tackle, but I just had hand surgery so it will probably 6 weeks before my hand is up to it. I won't be doing a cooler just yet, it will depend on what funds I have at the time. But a drill tap and plug is cheap enough to get the ball rolling. Keep in touch I am in taylor.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOdded

Best of luck with your hand, Crash!  Hope it was nothing major ...

crash712us

Quote from: SHOdded on May 16, 2014, 03:34:34 PM
Thank you Shodded. Unfortunately it wasn't anything minor, severed median nerve in my dominate hand. Still have use of all my fingers, but I am hope to regain some feeling in my index finger and middle finger. But only time will tell.

SwampRat

Quote from: crash712us on May 16, 2014, 07:14:18 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on May 16, 2014, 03:34:34 PM
Thank you Shodded. Unfortunately it wasn't anything minor, severed median nerve in my dominate hand. Still have use of all my fingers, but I am hope to regain some feeling in my index finger and middle finger. But only time will tell.

Man that Royally sucks Crash ..... Did the injury happen at work ?
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

crash712us

No unfortunately it did not. Happened at our vacation property on my 1st weekend of ownership. Ran out of propane over the winter and water tank on toilet froze and broke. And was caring a broken piece of the porcelain to the garage and slipped on some ice. Very freak accident for me, I've always  considered myself well balanced. I never fall, this time I never even had chance to toss the piece. Was like I was blindsided.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk