• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What have you done to your Ecoboosted vehicle today?

Started by EcoPowerParts, January 14, 2013, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

I feel bad for you but i wouldnt say your experience is typical
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Thanks AJP!

SHOdded, I just checked the transmission fluid level and it is on the "H" of hot.  The readout has hash marks and then the word "HOT" above them, so it is just beyond the hash marks and into the word.  I think that means it's slightly overfilled?

I didn't do the service on it.  Had the driveline tech at the dealer do it at 30k miles.  Asked him to slightly overfill and he was aware of the recommendation with these transmissions.  It appears he did what I asked.

On the bright side, the fluid has 20k on it now and still looks new.
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

sholxgt

Looking at ford-parts.com it looks like there's just one torque converter for all versions of this car.  As in same one regardless of if turbo or not.  Is that right?  I'm seeing a price of $572.65.  Did I find the right one?

As crazy as it sounds, if I keep this car, I might throw a dart blindfolded and try putting a new converter in the car.  Several updates of software at the dealer and several different attempts by AJP didn't eliminate the stutter.  My best guess is the converter has a physical issue.  They also seem to be what usually takes out the transmission in these cars. 

I will also talk with the driveline tech to see if he thinks it's worth me throwing that dart.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

BoostfoSHO

Finally got it put on today.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

bpd1151

Opened up the garage overhead door. Sat inside the SHO. Started her up. Listened to the massive sound system for about 5min or so, then shut it all back down.

Temps were in the unusual low 50's here today, however, as tempted as I was to take her out for a spin, there's still salt on the road from the little bit of snow we recv'd a week or so ago.

So ahh, no thank you.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SHOdded

sholxgt, in fact, i believe the same converter is used for both the 6f50 and 6f55 transmsissions in the Ford range.

Yeah.  I was stunned to discover that as well.

2013 mks Non ecoboost
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-torque-converter-da8z7902e/

Ecoboost
https://parts.levittownfordparts.com/oem-parts/ford-torque-converter-da5z7902d/

Ford Taurus for comparison
Converter Assy Make Sure These Fit 
Ford BB5Z-7902-E    
BB5Z-7902-E
Converter Assy
Production Date:   02/2012-07/2012
Fitting Vehicle Options:   
6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F Mid-Range
Callout Name:   7902
Replaced by:   BB5Z-7902-F
$374.00$330.30
Ford BB5Z-7902-F    
BB5Z-7902-F
Converter Assy
Production Date:   07/2012-
Fitting Vehicle Options:   
6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F Mid-Range
Base Number:   7902
$374.00$330.30
Ford DA5Z-7902-D    
DA5Z-7902-D
Converter Assy
3 Bolt Converter
Fitting Vehicle Options:   
6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F50, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F55
$572.65$468.56
Ford DA8Z-7902-A    
DA8Z-7902-A
Converter Assy
3 Bolt Converter
Fit Note:   
2.77 Ratio, 3.16 Ratio, 3.39 Ratio
Fitting Vehicle Options:   6 Cyl 3.5L Cyclone Petrol TIVCT, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F50, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F55
$503.77$420.62
Ford DA8Z-7902-E    
DA8Z-7902-E
Converter Assy
3 Bolt Converter
Fit Note:   
3.39 Ratio
Fitting Vehicle Options:   6 Cyl 3.7L DOHC, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F50, 6-Speed Automatic Transmission 6F55
$557.05$457.71
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Thanks again!  That's what I was seeing as well.

I'm guessing we must have a much higher stall speed than a base 3.5 for example.  The load our cars can put on the converter vs a non-turbo application would be significant.  I bet that converter in a non-turbo application would last forever vs ours that I've seen quite a few people on this board having failures.

That part isn't much money.  The labor to install would be intensive though.  Pulling a front drive transmission is a pain.  Add the rear driveshaft part and I bet it gets ugly.  If I don't buy a truck in the next couple of weeks, I'll get a quote from the tech I know.  I've done dumber things than this when it comes to cars.  LOL.

As long as I have it out, should I send it to Level 10 and see if they can loosen it up and add anti-balloon plates?  Oh, how I can get myself in too deep.

SHOdded

I dunno what the stall on a na 3.5 would be.  We do see some failures with overheated and seized converters in those applications, but the incidents have been fairly rare.  Now that many vehicles are in the 200,000 mile range, I expect to start seeing more.

You can definitely try building up the converter, but IMHO, that is not where problems lie with these transmissions.  It is mostly in the clutches/clutch bands.  Now, if you are continuously beating on the trans, then we have to think longevity, and a rebuild by a reputable builder would be in play.  Ford did a much better job with this joint venture than GM.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

jbrown9999

In the last 2 days I've got it a good wash, ran the extension cord out to driveway for oil heater (temps are dropping around here), changed the oil and installed my UPR Catch Can.

Feeling pretty good for getting all that done.
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

SHOdded

Nice!  Most people hibernate with the onset of winter, so kudos!

jbrown9999

Thanks, had to get it done...its literally snowing right now and not getting any warmer.  Just like last Friday, had to repair some wind damage on my roof because snow was coming Saturday.  That took me a lot longer than everything I did to the car....LOL!!
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

SHOdded

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: bpd1151 on December 19, 2017, 05:17:35 PM
Opened up the garage overhead door. Sat inside the SHO. Started her up. Listened to the massive sound system for about 5min or so, then shut it all back down.

Temps were in the unusual low 50's here today, however, as tempted as I was to take her out for a spin, there's still salt on the road from the little bit of snow we recv'd a week or so ago.

So ahh, no thank you.

Did you whisper sweet nothings to her?

Did you lovingly stroke her?

How does your wife feel about "the other woman"?

bpd1151

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on December 20, 2017, 09:14:52 PMDid you whisper sweet nothings to her?

Did you lovingly stroke her?

How does your wife feel about "the other woman"?

Ha.

Funny you ask. She often remarks how much passion I have for my SHO, and then quips how, at times, I should go out to the garage and stick my weiner in the tail pipes and molest her accordingly (most PG rated way I can state it). LOL.

Gotta love the Wife. Even she gives me grief.

Jordan

World's Fastest SHO Ecoboost July 2019 - Current

2020 Power Numbers - 536AWHP/647Torque