• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

What have you done to your Ecoboosted vehicle today?

Started by EcoPowerParts, January 14, 2013, 08:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

I would add 60-40 coolant to the mix as SHOdded mentioned above for the colder winter month's in AK and after that return back to 50-50 coolant,here it is directly from the owners manual.  Z    http://www.fortau.com/engine_coolant_check-163.html Severe Climates

If you drive in extremely cold climates: • It may be necessary to have a Ford authorized dealer increase the coolant concentration above 50%.

• A coolant concentration of 60% will provide improved freeze point protection. Engine coolant concentrations above 60% will decrease the overheat protection characteristics of the engine coolant and may cause engine damage.

If you drive in extremely hot climates: • It may be necessary to have a Ford authorized dealer decrease the coolant concentration to 40%.

• A coolant concentration of 40% will provide improved overheat protection. Engine coolant concentrations below 40% will decrease the corrosion and freeze protection characteristics of the engine coolant and may cause engine damage.

Vehicles driven year-round in non-extreme climates should use prediluted engine coolant for optimum cooling system and engine protection.               

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

Vortech347

Up in AK getting a block heater is a great idea.

Stick to fully synthetic oil as well. 

Matt H.
2013 SHO Performance Pack, Daily, AJPTurbo tuned
2003 SVT Cobra 497rwhp/491rwtq, Self tuned, Cruiser
1990 Mustang GT 570rwhp/530twtq, Self tuned, Open Track
2017 F150 XLT 5.0

Gjkrisa

Quote from: bpd1151 on August 16, 2016, 01:09:20 AM
I never found it necessary to install any of the items you've listed.

And during the course of several winter seasons with my SHO motoring around here in CHI-Town and NW Indiana & Michigan, where actual temps have been below zero..... never had any problems.

IMHO I'd invest your money in other mods, before any of these.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
As black GT has stated I see temps in December to end of February ranging from 0 to -50 -20 to -40Fahrenheit  weeks at a time car doesn't have a garage yet.
As coolant goes I checked with Ford during my first service said the coolant was not changed for Alaska yet although when I picked the car up they said I had to wait for them to winterize which only thing they would of done is change coolant but I will use my meter to see what it's set for if not correct I know how to change fluid.
I looked up the plug I was wanting I guess it's just a weather plug they get off the shelf that or Ford dealer actually make really well flush
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009ANV81S/ref=s9_simh_gw_d0_g263_i1?pf_rd_p=27c52cf6-3019-45b2-ab2a-fcff04eb98df&pf_rd_s=grid-unrec-6&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=KXZ9KMH4PFAXM1YSF4WZ

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
2016 Taurus SHO pp Shadow Black
diy emblems,jms boost max, FORscan modder

bpd1151

Makes sense. I was just suggesting you could likely save some coin, as we have seen those same temperature ranges (close to) here in my area, and the SHO'S performed wonderfully.

Although garaged, there are/were times while working, mine would sit out in that arctic tundra as well.

Certainly can't hurt, those add ons you're contemplating that's for sure. Good luck!

ZSHO

Here is a good article for ya.  Z    http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=1091   During the test, the coolant temperature ranged from 50 deg F to 200 deg F, i.e., normal operating temperatures. This cold start-maximum output test was done 1,000 times, for 1,000 hours of engine testing, which represents about 60,000 miles of driving.

In addition to the dynamometer and durability testing conducted at Romeo and Dearborn, Ford conducted high-altitude driving tests in Colorado, where more than 1,000 peaks are over 10,000 feet high. Then they ran extreme hot weather tests at the Arizona Proving Grounds and extreme-cold weather tests at Florida's Elgin Air Force Base. Using a wide variety of fuels, the engine testing was performed at temperatures from minus 40 deg F to 110 deg F, and at altitudes up to 12,000 feet.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

biker1956

Last week I had Livernois Motorsports install a 160º thermostat, new plugs, catted down pipes, 3 bar map and a tuner with a Stock, 91 octane and 93 octane programs in it. I already had a Airaid air cleaner & Dynomax mufflers on it.

It came off the Dyno with 355.30 HP and 380.42 Torque. I am happy with the outcome. I felt the difference right away.
2014 MKS

Gjkrisa

Quote from: bpd1151 on August 16, 2016, 11:23:58 AM
Makes sense. I was just suggesting you could likely save some coin, as we have seen those same temperature ranges (close to) here in my area, and the SHO'S performed wonderfully.

Although garaged, there are/were times while working, mine would sit out in that arctic tundra as well.

Certainly can't hurt, those add ons you're contemplating that's for sure. Good luck!

Also doing this myself going to spend about $150 not $450 that Ford wants to charge and not really modding till I make sure there aren't going to be any spendy work needed if I void warranty.
I'd really love to just have faith and mod but with a baby girl on the way and trying to save for a house next year need to keep things as low and project able spending.
I use to run vehicles without plugging in down to -40 but one day I tried starting my impreza at -50 gave it a little gas shortly after starting it backfired and blew off a piece of the intake after the throttle body making the car goto max rpm then stall out.

Gjkrisa

Batteries go dead very quick if you allow the voltage to drop enough for the battery to freeze and with the car choosing when is the best mpg time to charge the battery really need a trickle charger in the winter.
Colder it gets faster the energy is lost in the battery.

Gjkrisa

Thanks everyone but just curious if any cold weather drivers have winterized their sho and have pics or suggestions of how they ran wires what goop they use to stick the heater on and how they got it to stay on till it set.  If no one has an answer I will be doing a detailed process of this just want to get some more ideas that I may have not thought of.

Gjkrisa

Quote from: Vortech347 on August 16, 2016, 11:16:00 AM
Up in AK getting a block heater is a great idea.

Stick to fully synthetic oil as well.
Yea bought the car with a engine block heater first oil change used fully synthetic.

thmullan

As a born and raised Canadian I have seen 42 winters and temps down to -50c.
I have a garage, but when I'm elsewhere I plug my vehicles in once I see that temps are going to get below  -25 to -30.  I will also use gasoline line antifreeze on occasion and use synthetic oil.
I have never used an oil pan heater, adjusted my anti-freeze ratio etc.
2014 Tuxedo Black Metallic SHO
AirRaid CAI, SW Downpipes, Corsa exhaust. 

2014 Honda CBR 1000RR
1968 Chrysler 300 TNT Convertible

Gjkrisa

Quote from: thmullan on August 16, 2016, 05:01:18 PM
As a born and raised Canadian I have seen 42 winters and temps down to -50c.
I have a garage, but when I'm elsewhere I plug my vehicles in once I see that temps are going to get below  -25 to -30.  I will also use gasoline line antifreeze on occasion and use synthetic oil.
I have never used an oil pan heater, adjusted my anti-freeze ratio etc.

I've never needed to adjust my radiator fluid but I usually fill it with straight antifreeze but this is my first turbo car and plan to keep this one for life most likely.
I have never thought of needing to use heet as my vehicle has never had much of a problem starting but maybe that would of saved me from blowing my intake.
I have left a full bottle of Preston antifreeze out in the winter just to see how it gets at cold temps and it was frozen solid at -45f I looked at my over fill and it didn't look frozen so I don't know what voodoo is going on.
But why is everyone trying to tell me not to spend money on winter protection. I usually wouldn't do much and haven't with old cars but this one I'm choosing to baby it as much as I can and still drive the s*** out of it.

Gjkrisa

For winter getting a set of rims and winter tires I really like Toyo observes only size they had that would match was in a 18in rim so getting a set of  motegi racing rims which will be lighter and easy to get all the snow unstuck from the rim
https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/observe-g3-ice-studdable-passengerlight-truck-winter-tire
Then for spring switching to AS proxes 4plus since the Goodyear's crack as soon as they see freezing temps Ive read.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/proxes-4-plus-ultra-high-performance-all-season-tires
I have a set of just proxes 4 on the impreza have held up good but would like something better in winter.
And they do make them in 20in that will fit.

thmullan

Perhaps I'm incorrect but I have a tendency to believe that most a lot of people have not experienced winters like we do.  Lol
2014 Tuxedo Black Metallic SHO
AirRaid CAI, SW Downpipes, Corsa exhaust. 

2014 Honda CBR 1000RR
1968 Chrysler 300 TNT Convertible

bpd1151

Nice choice!