• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Motor oil tests

Started by ShoBoat, May 14, 2014, 11:01:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZSHO

I started to change my own oil at about 6,ooo mi,prior to that had 2 oil changes by the dealer.I started using Amsoil signature series oil,they claim 25k or 15k for extreme conditions,i also signed up for 10% discount for 20.00 a year.At 6,000 mi used amsoil with mc fl500s oil filter due to warranty,the changed again at 9,400 the oil was black,i couldn't believe it,mostly cold weather driving,imagine if it were summer,I feel more secure doing it myself,cause I know what I am putting in there,not like the majority of lube and dealers have an oil pump,pumping oil in your car like gas.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Shoboat, interested in how it works out for you.  Do you plan on a Blackstone analysis?

ZSHO, all good points.  I WOULD say that oils change color over time, and I have heard that different oils change differently in that respect.  Still, an oil analysis would be required to tell you how much life the oil has left in it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Ok quick question, what's this about the FMC oil filter and warranty? Are they going to void my warranty because I a using the Amsoil filter?
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

BiGMaC

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 14, 2014, 04:10:35 PM
Ok quick question, what's this about the FMC oil filter and warranty? Are they going to void my warranty because I a using the Amsoil filter?
I'd doubt it... At least with Rotal Purple, it's an option at my dealer.  With it's high ratings I don't see why it or Amsoil would be a warranty issue if the dealer changed it at Ford recommended intervals or less since they meet recommended specs.  In any event a Blackstone analysis on the oil in the event of a failure ... Given appropriate changes... Should tell the tale.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Whatever you use should state that it meets the specs listed in your owner's manual.  Free hand otherwise.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

ShoBoat

So I did the oil change, and I was really surprised at the state of the oil. I have a sample I will try to get tested and see what is up. All I know is that after only 2500km on this oil it didn't look so good. Black as night, I have the Amsoil Signature Series 5-30 and their filter. Will keep you guys posted on how it fairs in a few weeks.

jcl78

I wouldn't worry too much about the color of the old oil, and just worry about the OCI. From my research across Ecoboost F150's SHO's and MKS's, 5K OCI's are where you want to be. After reading numerous Blackstone reports from 3.5L Ecoboost vehicles at 5K, the oil additives are still there, and people are seeing good wear numbers, but Blackstone recommended not going too much over 5K. At 3K, they said it was beyond overkill, and to extend out to 5K. More than that, I am not so sure.  I have changed my oil twice, on a 5K OCI, and I am now running Pennzoil Platinum 5W 30, but with the Motorcraft FL-500 filter. I do believe on these Ecoboost engines, the FL-500 is the best filter, not only due to the bypass valve PSI, but they are well constructed and only $6. Some folks were hearing more startup noise with other oil filters, even at the same relief valve PSI.

glock-coma

Quote from: jcl78 on May 14, 2014, 06:46:30 PM
Some folks were hearing more startup noise with other oil filters, even at the same relief valve PSI.

I always used the top tier fram  oil filters  until I heard all other high praise about motorcraft. 
I recently changed to motorcraft , NOW I hear some noise at startup where I never heard it before.

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ShoBoat

Interesting, I will keep an ear out for any change in start up noise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcl78

Yeah, not sure about the validity of the startup noise discussion, I know these EB engines are fairly noisy anyway with the high pressure injectors, and normal valvetrain noise. I know the cam phasers have to adjust on cold startup and that is a sound some people find disconcerting. Coming from a few diesels, I find it quiet :).

SHODYOU

Does Fram even make anything to be considered "top tier"

From my understanding Fram is terrible and not to be trusted.
A few youtube vids of people cutting open filters was all it took.
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

ShoBoat

So I had a chance to drive around today, I dunno it maybe placebo effect but the engine feels smoother and a bit stronger. No increase in startup noise. The Amsoil filter is a 20 micron filter at 99.7% efficiency so it should help keep the oil cleaner. I cut apart my FMC filter apart, I'll post pics. I wasn't impressed on 2 things. The first it seemed to have excess epoxy around the filter that was flaking off. 2nd It just didn't seem to be well put together. Maybe just this one. I will post pics.

SHODYOU

Motorcraft filters have been known to be fantastic, esp the S designated ones, which have a silicone drain back valve.
They are made by Purolater to Ford specs, but its more/less a Purolater PureOne.

http://www.purolatorautofilters.net/products/oil_filters/Pages/pureoneoilfilters.aspx

99.9% efficient
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

SwampRat

Quote from: SHODYOU on May 14, 2014, 08:31:11 PM
Does Fram even make anything to be considered "top tier"

From my understanding Fram is terrible and not to be trusted.
A few youtube vids of people cutting open filters was all it took.

Comparable to the any other love it or hate it  issue wth parts , vendors  ; service's etc .
Most of which are based on brand  loyalty , conjecture and opinions .
It doesn't matter what brand you buy , someone somewhere is going to have Problems .
Show me a 0% defect free product , no such animal ......

Fram makes several Top Tier oil filters that I have used for many years and with many vehicles with 0 problems .

My current favorite Top Tier Fram is   ....  http://www.fram.com/oil-filters/fram-ultra-synthetic-oil-filter.aspx?altTemplate=mobileproduct
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST