• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Blanket for PPE DP'S

Started by Mikesb, May 16, 2014, 09:24:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikesb

Gonna get some blanket material from Gale Banks. It just bugs me that the pipes and cats are so close to engine/trans, and I know they get cherry hot. Anyone else do some kind of thermal protection to there's? Besides coated. Or anyone else even concerned about it?
Mike
2013 SHO PP BLACK 7k mi - 12.9 @107  LMS 91 v8 METH TUNE - ALKY CONTROLS METH - 3-BAR - AIRAID - PPE DP'S w/cats - CORSA CB - PLUGS - T-STAT - UPGRADE AUDIO
PORTLAND OREGON

panther427

I sure am.  I plan to get every part I can thermal coated
2013 SHO

MDesign Performance

When I get downpipes I planned to get them wrapped, might have them ceramic coated before.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

AndyMan04

I was under the impression the PPE downpipes come coated already. Are they not? :confused:
2011 Taurus SHO... factory for now.

SHOdded

Coating is an option on the PPE downpipes.  BiGMaC has his done that way, I believe.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

panther427

Ya it's an extra 150-175 dollars
2013 SHO

mval

panther is correct extra to get coating. one good update catted dp's. they just passed the missouri emission test which tests readiness. 4dr had said as such but until you get an inspection pass, a worry. so i would give a thumbs up for the catted if your state requires emission testing.
a big thank to mike for guiding me the right way for the dp's.
mikev
'10 lme 4+93, 160t, 3 bar, w/cust headrest & evo gauge pod,md design cai, ppe dpes, borla cback , vertini 20" cust wheels w/conti dws, ebc slotted rotors w/red pads & mgp caliper covers, viper remote start, cust dipped eng cover,fascia, cai & lids,decals, custom bra, black wrapped spoiler
2017 chally scat pack shaker yellow jacket dd, so sho can be a show queen

AndyMan04

i think i will invest in these then  :thumb:
Virginia and NC are pretty strick with emissions... I can't tell you how many times I've failed NC because of headers WITH catts on it..( former car).
2011 Taurus SHO... factory for now.

ZSHO

A little bit off topic here but,if Mike.B or any members could chime in regarding ppe downpipes,if tune is needed or not cause I know with my other dpipes a tune was needed cause the cats would throw codes,and the tune would disable the 2 rear 02 sensors and car will fail emmissions.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SwampRat

You can run the PPE catted downpipes prior to doing a tune and you WILL NOT have any CEL or code issues .
BigMac ran for over a month with his before tuning and had 0 problems .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

BiGMaC

True - catted DPs will work fine tuned or not, and will improve performance both ways, especially low end due to earlier turbo spooling.  non-catted only cause a code from the last O2 sensor and nothing else.

True- I had my PPE catted DPs ceramic thermal coated.... dyno showed no difference in performance... I love the look, but it just doesn't work like what we used to do the headers on our old big block engines.

So... consider coating for aesthetics only. 

IMHO blankets are unsightly and in out small crowded, sealed engine compartments I would worry about proper air circulation causing earlier heat soak and perhaps elevated underhood temps.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

panther427

the coating doenst do anything in a true HP bump but what it does do it keep under hood temps lower and they will actually help spool up ever so slightly. and the look good coated.
2013 SHO

SHOdded

LMS has moved to a different provider for their catalytic converters for the downpipes, and supposedly, passing emissions with these new cats is no longer an issue.  If you have an older LMS set, you might be able to trade for the upgraded one.  Contact them directly.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

True Manu....
both PPE and LMS are using the largest of the Magnaflow high flow cats.... it's use costs 5 HP (+12 vs +17 on my '13 SHO with stock tune when compared to non-catted (PPE DPs tested).... with a tune you might even get more.

This cat has a CARB number imprinted so it will pass visual inspection as well as "tail pipe sucking"

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Mikesb

Still trying to get banks to send me a couple of blankets. I use them on my p/u with a 460 to shield the cat from the trans, they are nice items. A couple of points that's leading me this way of thinking

The the rear factory cat and  DP comes with a thermal blanket on it

Not sure about it being unsightly? Unless when you have you car on the lift and your friends come by and say "yuk - you got a blanket on your cat

Lastly I think a guy would want to wrap them in more of a shield like fashion, not real tight and sealed but formed and a little looser with an inch on the backside away from the motor and trans open (like factory)
2013 SHO PP BLACK 7k mi - 12.9 @107  LMS 91 v8 METH TUNE - ALKY CONTROLS METH - 3-BAR - AIRAID - PPE DP'S w/cats - CORSA CB - PLUGS - T-STAT - UPGRADE AUDIO
PORTLAND OREGON