• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

HID Bulbs

Started by leverkyle, May 11, 2014, 08:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leverkyle

2013 F150 Ecoboost XLT
SCrew with 6.5' bed
Ruby Red
2.5" motofab leveling kit
BOV VTA

leverkyle

Quote from: Spartn27 on May 12, 2014, 10:42:41 AM
What year is your vehicle? Might want to add that info to your sig.

If you have reflector housings it is technically illegal to install Xenon HID kits as they will blind oncoming drivers, if you have projectors I suggest a LED HID kit over standard Xenon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-automotive-integrated-LED-headlight-lamp-conversion-kit-6000k-H10-HB3-HB4-/291140164990?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c94e5d7e&vxp=mtr
i think I put it in my signature now. Idk if it worked.
2013 F150 Ecoboost XLT
SCrew with 6.5' bed
Ruby Red
BOV VTA

MDesign Performance

Quote from: leverkyle on May 12, 2014, 11:08:05 AM

Quote from: Spartn27 on May 12, 2014, 10:42:41 AM
What year is your vehicle? Might want to add that info to your sig.

If you have reflector housings it is technically illegal to install Xenon HID kits as they will blind oncoming drivers, if you have projectors I suggest a LED HID kit over standard Xenon.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-automotive-integrated-LED-headlight-lamp-conversion-kit-6000k-H10-HB3-HB4-/291140164990?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c94e5d7e&vxp=mtr
i think I put it in my signature now. Idk if it worked.

Working fine  :)

As far as the kit, I would suggest the LED over the Xenon as you'll tend to have less issues, also you'll get nice crisp light output. Best of all with all the advancement of LED kits since they came out a year ago, newer kits are integrated into a single bulb with no ballast making install very simple.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOdded

Anybody actually running these LEDs in their headlights, Spartn?  Curious what their experience is.

In general, LED light output & quality is highly variable unless you go with name-brand mfrs like Philips or Osram (the German variants, not the US variant products).  I would definitely go for aftermarket lighting products made in Germany, if I could afford it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOdded on May 12, 2014, 01:14:39 PM
Anybody actually running these LEDs in their headlights, Spartn?  Curious what their experience is.

In general, LED light output & quality is highly variable unless you go with name-brand mfrs like Philips or Osram (the German variants, not the US variant products).  I would definitely go for aftermarket lighting products made in Germany, if I could afford it.

I personally haven't installed them as I have the OEM HID kit installed on my MKS, it would be more so for people with halogen lamps looking to upgrade. LED headlight technology has come a long way, more so evidenced by the fact that there are a handful of LED headlight equipped vehicles coming out this year and some that have already came out.

If I were to upgrade an existing HID system I would only swap bulbs for some German made Osram D3S 5000K bulbs.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

donky4444

On my wife's 2008 MKX I have upgraded her low beams and fog lights to DDM tuning 55w 5000k kits with the DDM harness.  She has been running that set up for 3 years and we have never had an issue with the high output on the projectors.  The only issue we had was a faulty harness and they replaced it for me with no issues.
2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

leverkyle

Who all makes an LED conversion. So far I've only seen oracles. And it's $200.
2013 F150 Ecoboost XLT
SCrew with 6.5' bed
Ruby Red
BOV VTA

MDesign Performance

Quote from: leverkyle on May 12, 2014, 03:10:23 PM
Who all makes an LED conversion. So far I've only seen oracles. And it's $200.

I linked one in the other post, heres a link with all kits located in the US on eBay. There are kits with ballasts (last years technology) and kits with integrated systems for simplicity of install (linked earlier in a post on here). Id go through them and just find a seller with good feedback and reviews of their kits, mainly watch out for "amount sold" then read the feedback accordingly.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=led+h10+kit&LH_PrefLoc=3&_sop=16

ShoBoat

^^^ what he said!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

leverkyle

Alright thanks guys!
2013 F150 Ecoboost XLT
SCrew with 6.5' bed
Ruby Red
BOV VTA

JimiJak

Quote from: ShoBoat on May 12, 2014, 09:24:16 AM
Do not run 55w hid in the oem halogen housing. You will in time burn the reflector. Even with a really good bulb it will still do it. Just my 2 cents.

I assume you're talking about a reflector housing and not a projector housing.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the difference:

Reflector Housing -

Projector Housing -

Option 3
Bad*ss Housing -
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

ShoBoat

Quote from: JimiJak on May 12, 2014, 09:56:41 PM
Quote from: ShoBoat on May 12, 2014, 09:24:16 AM
Do not run 55w hid in the oem halogen housing. You will in time burn the reflector. Even with a really good bulb it will still do it. Just my 2 cents.

I assume you're talking about a reflector housing and not a projector housing.

For those of you that are unfamiliar with the difference:

Reflector Housing -

Projector Housing -

Option 3
Bad*ss Housing -

Actually both, I had oem halogen reflectors in my SHO oem. And I had 55w 9006 HID in them. The reflector bowls dimmed over time. Many have reported the same issue. With the shallow halogen bowl this becomes a real issue. The reflector style is just plain wrong to do as you will blind on coming traffic. The F150 is perfect for a retrofit as the Evox-R is a drop in to the housing. That is what I did with mine, now I have a proper HID projector.
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.