• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Oil in IC pipes - how much is too much?

Started by MikeB, December 27, 2012, 08:23:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeB

I saw a drop and some film at the connector of the pipe that goes from the rear turbo to the IC. I found a small pool of oil in the pipe that goes to the throttle body. I went to look at the rear turbo and pulled the inlet pipe to it and it was dry. Unfortunately the outlet of the rear turbo points up so I can't tell it if is pooling there or not. I pulled the outlet off the front turbo and oil started running out. Maybe 10-12 drops, but that pipe was saturated. I pulled the inlet pipe to that turbo and it had a film, but no pooling there.  Could I be looking at bad oil seals on the turbos?

FaSSt9602

There will be some oil present because of the CCV system sucking oil vapor air through the intake system.  How much I don't really know because I have never pulled the pipes off.  My diesel truck I get a good bit on the lower intercooler boots...
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

MikeB

It's probably "normal".  ;D I'm gonna put a catch can in line with the CCV this weekend, wipe out the pipes as much as I can, and check them again after a few weeks. Oil getting sucked into the intake will cause detonation and misfires. This may be part of my issue. I will follow up with an update after I have the catch can on for awhile.