• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Nitrous on my Ecoboost

Started by EcoPowerParts, November 06, 2012, 10:31:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EcoPowerParts

I thought I'd share my current experiences with nitrous on my Ecoboost V6 so far:
1. I've found that a small dry shot can be accomodated by the computer, if you're running at the limit of your tune then I wouldn't suggest it however if you're running a canned tune and you want to spray a dry shot from what I've seen on the dyno the car will accomodate nicely for the shot. I would suggest spraying at the airbox, nothing more than a 25 or 30 shot.
2. You can spray a wet shot by pulling fuel from the schrader valve under the hood and connecting it directly to the fuel solenoid. Again small shots will work fine with this scenario.
3. If you are at the limit of your stock fuel system adding a dedicated fuel cell will work great. In the SHO/Flex/MKT platform you can create a custom fender mounted intake by buying a 3.5" Airaid UBI setup and pointing the tube into the hole out to the fender making room to mount a 1 gallon fuel cell where the stock airbox used to be. You can even make a bracket that bolted where the stock intake used to bolt to.
4. Any fuel you spray above the commanded AFR in the tune will be pulled by the stock fuel system, I've sprayed fuel only on my nitrous setup and the computer pulled fuel to hit the commanded AFR, 11.4 either with the wet kit firing or without it didn't matter on the dyno.
I am currently spraying a 75 shot on my Flex without any issues, the key to a good kit is the following:
1. TPS sensor - set to 4.5 volts
2. Window switch
3. Fuel pressure safety switch
4. - optional - I would suggest a progressive controller for first gear. There are quite a few out there that contain the window/tps/progressive all in one now for cheap. I am have the following configured:
TPS 4.5V
Window switch - 3200 RPM to 6100 RPM - shift points at 6200 RPM and rev limiter at 6700 RPM
Progressive controller - 35% at 3500 RPM with .8 second delay to 100%

I also used a small import 150 HP wet nitrous kit

Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

FaSSt9602

You have always been a nitrous junky...

Good looking install!  Dumb question, but did you notice anything at all from the intake itself?
2010 EB Flex Limited Dark Ink Blue Metallic/White Suede two tone

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: FaSSt9602 on November 06, 2012, 10:38:38 AM
You have always been a nitrous junky...

Good looking install!  Dumb question, but did you notice anything at all from the intake itself?
Yes the intake does make a good difference, when I go out driving the intake pipe is cold after stopping and checking by feel. This was not the case before with the stock box.
www.ecopowerparts.com -
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.

FaSSt9602

Hmm...might have to be the next cheap mod...

I thought someone on the other forums lost mph or something with the production airaid kit?

Sadly it is the wife's car, so I can't go too crazy on it...just a simple tune for now.

EcoPowerParts

Quote from: FaSSt9602 on November 06, 2012, 10:44:41 AM
Hmm...might have to be the next cheap mod...

I thought someone on the other forums lost mph or something with the production airaid kit?
That is because the intake opens to the underhood air, this puts a filter in the fender.
I've emailed my contact at Airaid to see if they will join the board and offer a UBI kit for Flex/SHO/MKT to give the parts I required for my intake. I will do a how-to video for them if they offer this on where to cut and how to install.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

EcoPowerParts

Picture of the wet kit tied into the stock fuel system:

www.ecopowerparts.com -

FaSSt9602

What is the limit of the stock fuel system when plumbing into it?

EcoPowerParts

From what I've read around 350ish WHP total output, I never saw any indications of reaching the limit, AFR remained flat with no massive load on the pump at 350WHP with nitrous.
www.ecopowerparts.com -

EcoBrick Bob

How far down into the  fender is your CAI Filter?  Have you opened up the bottom panel so more air gets into the fender area?  How about your Grille, is is stock, or have you opened up or removed your grille backing?

In both my G8's I opened up the scoop in the under panel and blocked off hot air from radiator.

In my Brick, my filter location keeps my IAT temps at ambient temp, and cools down much quicker than the two days I ran an AirAid box, which I found kept IAT readings at about 8-10deg above outside.  I realize that the ECM relies on MCT for what it does. But... when I strip in cool or cold weather... I get much more performance out of the EB Brick!  Being nude enhances my reaction times!!! LOL
2010 Red Candy/White EB Flex.. World's first 12 second Brick.. 12.904 @ 106.85 MPH - October 2011
2009 Spt. Red G8 GT - modded. best time 12.074 & 114.02 MPH
2008 White G8 GT - mods... 8.32 1/8 mi.

Naples, FL & Clear Lake, IA
Bob has decided not to post here any more, please do not PM him he will not receive it.

EcoPowerParts

@SwampRat here's my nitrous topic.
Figure 30 seconds on a 150 shot per 10lb tank and 60 seconds worth of spray on a 75 shot.
You can easily fit a bottle in your trunk.
I suggest this controller:
http://www.holley.com/15974NOS.asp

Install is easy:
Need to tap into the TPS sensor, #1 plug wire ground, power and ground and an arming switch.

www.ecopowerparts.com -

SwampRat

Quote from: 4DRHTRD on April 09, 2014, 10:08:31 PM
@SwampRat here's my nitrous topic.
Figure 30 seconds on a 150 shot per 10lb tank and 60 seconds worth of spray on a 75 shot.
You can easily fit a bottle in your trunk.
I suggest this controller:
http://www.holley.com/15974NOS.asp

Install is easy:
Need to tap into the TPS sensor, #1 plug wire ground, power and ground and an arming switch.

Thanks .... more for the to do list , probably before ATP upgrade .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

TimmyATL

So my question with Nitrous is I am on canned Methanol tune. Do you think the PCM and engine could take a 50 dry shot on a progressive tuner at the intercooler inlet.
13 SHO PP, Airaid intake, 170 T-stat, 3bar map sensor, Ecopower Parts hot side pipes, Turbosmart 7lb wastegate actuators, Stainless Works catted downpipes, Corsa cat back exhaust with Loudvalves exhaust dumps, Alky Control Meth Injection, LMS Dyno Meth tune. TSW Nurburgring  with NItto NTO5

Scott4957

Doubt it. Its already difficult to get enough to get the fuel we need. Maybe you are looking for the meth to add the additional fuel needed for the spray? Anyways, I would open a new thread with your question as this one is pretty old.
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

AJP turbo

I would say run nitrous and meth...way cooler
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

BOT_ROCKET

I know I'm necro'ing an old thread, but just to clarify since you said to spray the dry shot in the air box. You aren't also spraying the wet shot in the box, right?
'17 Fusion Sport 2.7l Ecoboost AWD
Ortiz Tune  (in progress)

2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1st stock run: 8.98 @ 77.15 MPH