• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Is an intake worth it?

Started by MikeB, December 26, 2012, 10:40:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Maybe we need to get a Mustang/TBird (I am thinking long, swooping, maybe 80s/90s) style front end on the SHO body.  Enough room to work some serious magic underhood.  though the SHO might feel large enough as it is.  LOL.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

I was going to post the same question but saw this thread already started. Has anything changed in 3 years? It seems Airaid/Windstorm/K&N/MDesign yield negligible gains even on tuned cars?
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

J-Will

Quote from: metroplex on September 14, 2016, 07:31:44 AM
I was going to post the same question but saw this thread already started. Has anything changed in 3 years? It seems Airaid/Windstorm/K&N/MDesign yield negligible gains even on tuned cars?
That is still correct from a single component performance perspective.  Though I dont think the newest iteration of MDesign (with a larger filter, and lining to prevent heat entering from the engine bay) has been tested as exhaustively as his first gen.  With the second gens updates I would expect equal or better performance when compared to his first gen. 

I would assume that an intake is still going to benefit and produce more power as the mods compile on the vehicle.  While an intake might not help right away on a stock vehicle, or even one with a tune, it cant hurt in the long run as other components are added.  Plus, an aftermarket intake provides spot to drill for meth while still being able to return to stock.
2014 Factory Order SHO (non pp) Deep Impact Blue
Gearhead Automotive Performance Tune
3-bar
SP-542 plugs w/ GH gap

SHOdded

Both intake and exhaust have to be addressed to see gains in the entire rev band.  Since the OEM system already flows pretty well, a CAI will show an advantage in high revving, high powered situations.  Then you have the intake manifolds, which can be ported to gain maybe up to 20% better airflow.  Not much you can do with the exhaust manifolds, but heads can be ported for better airflow as well.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

I'm sure catless downpipes might help in the exhaust area, but I was more interested in seeing how much gain (if any) would come from just the air intake without touching (porting) any of the engine components. I think I'm at the limit for 93 octane pump fuel with the tune, just trying to look at things that I can do easily to boost power.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Livernois Motorsports

You would be very hard pressed to find another vendor with more EB achievements, support for and/or a larger following than we are fortunate enough to have.

Here is the breakdown on a tune's supporting mods:
3BAR MAP- NO BRAINER! The 3 BAR MAP sensor allows us to better measure, map and apply higher than stock levels of boost throughout the powerband. The part itself does not make more power, but it effectively allows us to turn the EcoBoost's engineering against itself to make better and more effective tuning for you.

160* thermostat- Again, a no brainer. This allows us to again tune slightly more aggressively by keeping coolant temps down and fighting detonation.

CAI- This is a great mod if you want a couple (~7hp) and more cabin noise on a stock exhaust truck. If you add exhaust components that is where the real power gains come into play!

DP- Totally worth it from an efficient performance perspective, as they allow your turbos to spool more freely. The peak gains are good, but that is not the important part of the story. The DP's will allow you to make peak power ~500 RPM sooner, hold that power for about another 500 RPM and then continue to make more power again for ~500 RPM.

Catback- The similar rules apply here that do to the CAI. If you want a handful of hp and sound, cool. If you add the complimenting performance parts you get SOOO MUCH MORE!

metroplex

Are the gains from the CAI more with a tune that runs more boost? I see that a lot of the advertised hp gains for a stock tune running a CAI is about 10 hp. How about with more boost?

Will the colder t-stat make that much of a difference? At the track, my ECT's never went above 192F using the stock thermostat.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph