• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MDesigns Race Spec Prototype - w/Video

Started by JimiJak, May 08, 2014, 12:32:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panther427

What you described reminds of the exhaust on my Audi s 4 with the inline 5 cylinder Turbo motor running an ABT exhaust. Really deep tone.
2013 SHO

JimiJak

Managed to get a decent video. I'll have a clip up this afternoon!!
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SwampRat on May 08, 2014, 01:17:05 AM
Looks nice ... any plans for dyno ?

Mathematically higher flow .... but only dyno will provide positive proof .

Before stock dyno whould be nice too.

Quote from: JimiJak on May 08, 2014, 01:20:42 AM
As for dyno plans...not much as of yet. We'll see who turns up in my area as a resource.

I'm probably much more likely to put it on a track before I put it on a treadmill.
THOSE are the real numbers IMHO. lol

^^I will basically be doing the same as JimiJak above, though as he also mentions I will most likely hit the track before the dyno. Within the next couple weeks I will stop by LMS and see what I can do also.

Quote from: panther427 on May 08, 2014, 03:13:15 AM
I want to do an electric cutout. So one 3 inch would be cheaper. (

You could definitely throw an electric cut out at the single 3" section, therefore only needing 1 3" cutout. With downpipes you should see great gains out of the combination.

Quote from: SRT82ECOBOOST on May 08, 2014, 08:05:23 AM
Or just use this in place of the first Y-pipe:
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=11577

This was pondered though it would be more effective to eliminate rasp by having the resonator serve just as a resonator and not both a resonator and y-pipe. The main thing with this exhaust was to increase flow while not creating any rasp other kits may offer.

As far as price, there are no concrete numbers as of yet though $850~ seems to be where it is at as of now.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

panther427

Just another thought Aero turbine muffler offer straight shot resonators in a bullet design. P think there cost is higher but I don't know cost vs performance and simpler install y pipe right into the 3 inch pipe.
2013 SHO

SwampRat

850.00 ish   is definitely a bunch cheaper !
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

Wilson

Sorry if I missed it, when is the exhaust expected to be available for 'mass production'?
2013 SHO (non-PP) Ruby Red Tintcoat
Leading Edge Tuning 93 Tune | 3 Bar MAP | 170* Thermostat | Airaid Intake | PPE 2.5" Downpipes | Snow Stage 2 Meth Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | 22" Falken RT-7M wheels | 265/35/22 Falken Ziex TZ05 tires

JimiJak

As for the official production verdict, I'll leave that for Spartn27.

I've heard there are talks of two options to choose from, in the works. So I'm not sure if that's getting ironed out before the "official release", or what.

*videos moved to first post in thread.

panther427

2013 SHO

BiGMaC

Nice job Jack!... good info too... I like the new exhaust note!  :thumb:

I've been thinking more about exhaust lately due to the cutout thing. I have been impressed with one new idea by Spartn.... here's my thinking which Jack, Spartn, and I have discussed together.... I believe the ideas are sound (no pun intended, LOL)...

The catbacks available for SHO/MKS/transverse 3.5 EB.... (Except for the new one that Spartn has just gotten completed and Jack has installed) make what I think is at least potentially an error by staying dual and OEM size. I am a fan of dual exhausts, but you can't ignore the math in trying to increase flow after you deal with cats/mufflers/resonators/etc ..which are obvious. see below. Also note the GTR uses a similar design to improve exhaust note without raspiness or drone. I think we often make the mistake of trying to make our V6 sound like a V8... instead of a high performance V6 engine.

The numbers for cross-sectional are usually not thought of with an allowance for pipe wall thickness. All pipe is sold based on it's outside diameter, which is irrelevent to it's flow characteristics. To obtain the correct cross-sectional area of the inside of the pipe, you need to subtract the pipe thickness first. So check it out... using a single 3" pipe is actually bigger in cross section.

Some comparisons of pipe cross sectional area:
OD/ID(")...............Inside Area(sq. in.)
2.5/2.375....................4.430
3.0/2.875....................6.492
3.5/3.375....................8.946

So in fact, a single 3.5" pipe has a larger inside cross sectional area than two 2.5" pipes.

Something else to consider is the inside surface area, as measured along the inside walls, especially for the cooling effects on gas flow. The more wall area, the larger to friction with air trying to move through... This is even more dramatic, especially when the contraction of gas (due to cooling) slows it's movement simply because it looses volume.

Another comparison:
OD/ID...................Inside Surface
2.5/2.375..................7.461
3.0/2.875..................9.032
3.5/3.375.................10.601

As you can see, two 2.5" pipes would have approximately 40% more inside surface area than a single 3.5" pipe. The frictional losses from this extra area would likely be minimal, because the gases along the wall flow very slowly(relative to the gases nearer the center).... but they do move slower due to friction resulting in an increased back-pressure. More important, IMHO, is the cooling effect caused by gases in contact with the wall inside surface area. As these gases cool, they draw heat away from gases nearer to the center. As gas loses heat it loses volume and therefor velocity, the added inside surface of the dual pipes should cool the exhaust more than the single pipe and cause a corresponding loss in velocity of flow of engine exhaust... Cooler weather (which we want for our turb'd engine performance) should actually amplify this effect.

The sound part is proven I think (Thanks Jack!)... dyno's/track times on the MKS/SHO/XSport are still on the way

Just my 2 cents... but I think it's thought provoking when the math is done.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

panther427

I like this set up. I want to hear the corsa in person.   But this has sound but still mellow.
2013 SHO

MDesign Performance

As Jack described there might be minor tweaks to the design and then I will have all details finalized, I am looking into changes to get more sound out of the catback without introducing rasp.

If everything goes according to plan I will be doing a baseline dyno with only mods being an intake system and then a pull with the exhaust and intake to get some real numbers out there.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

panther427

I may go get this done but with a y right after the down pipe.  Then the question would be cut out before or after the resonator.

Any thoughts of using the venturi effect in an exhaust system
2013 SHO

JimiJak

Next tinker may involve closer to what you're describing Panther. For me, if I'm doing a cut out...I'm going all the way...so right up to the downpipes, before the resonator.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: panther427 on May 09, 2014, 01:12:34 PM
I may go get this done but with a y right after the down pipe.  Then the question would be cut out before or after the resonator.

Any thoughts of using the venturi effect in an exhaust system

I plan to hopefully offer the same exhaust kit though with a built in boost activated cut out. Personally I would like the exhaust cutout to be placed after the resonator which shouldn't hurt performance due to the free-flowing straight through design of the resonator. It should help reduce just a tad bit of rasp, somewhat of a resonated exhaust cut out.

panther427

Well it's all talk at the moment.  I can't decide what I want to spend my money on lol.   But seriously good job on thinking outside the box with this.  Really like the current sound.  Deep and mellow. Reminds me and bit of GM 3.8 exhaust note.  But I'm hoping for some Turbo whistle. That's the noise I want to hear.
2013 SHO