• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

XSposé - The tale of Black Betty - (...wambalam)

Started by JimiJak, May 07, 2014, 03:14:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimiJak

I think it's been past due to start my build thread...especially with some cool changes / additions on the horizon.
PS. Enjoy the "old people" font size...it's my story, and I'll tell it loud if I want! :D

2014 Explorer Sport - XSport for short
Code Name: Black Betty (...wambalam)

Conceived in Chicago January 8, 2014 she was birthed on February 4. However, due to driveline vibration complications, she was held in the NICU until March 10. It was pretty touch and go...the most worrisome part was how little we heard from the docs over those 5 weeks.
BUT...then we got great news. She was feeding well...mostly small imports and tuners. She had an outstanding temperament, although she still didn't get along with Prius's...Priuses...Priii?  ...and we went to pick her up.

She was a beautiful 400A, Second Row Bucket-having, 4,921 lb. girl, with black and sienna leather interior. She had her mom's suspension, and her dad's displacement.

...and she was ready to come home!

Home sweet home.

Due to the delays at the hospital, Betty had outgrown her new baby-shoes before she made it home. Oh well...there's always next winter
Goodyear UltraGrip Ice 245/60R-18 on Kazera 18x8's

Buuuuut...she didn't stay long...an early infection caused by one of the docs at the hospital in Chicago forgetting to tighten down the nut to the Pos. alternator terminal resulted in a charging system malfunction. New Alternator, battery, and alt. power harness, and she was back on her feet.

She took to a spot in the garage right away. Like it was meant to be.
...then it was time for her to start growing up. I took her out and got her oriented to the ways of the "noisy pedal" after fitting some Husky Weatherbeater floor liners.
She got her first wax, polish, and couldn't have looked happier!

After a little break-in-acquaintance she was ready for her first mod.
A smoked license plate cover!! (adds 25hp! (baby steps))

Next was an oil catch can and clean side separator from RevXtreme and eBOV VTA while she was 'under the knife'
...my baby was growing up so fast! {How-To write-up & Results Page}

Her and her older sister would run and play for hours...and loved getting baths!

It was time for her first oil change...that's where she got the Fumoto Valve installed to keep things neat and tidy!

A little re-arranging...moved the OCC behind the front bumper.

This left more room to get the engine cover back on. She was starting to grow up and is feeling more modest and refined. She started wearing a K&N Panel filter too.

My little girl was becoming a fierce little lady and the time for make-up had begun.
She got the clear portion of the tail lights tinted to match the smoked back-up lights. (2 Coats VHT Nightshades (1 light, 1 wet), 3 Coats Duplicolor Clear (1 Light, 1 Wet, 1 Heavy), with Meguiar's Clear Coat Safe Rubbing Compound after to smooth out what orange peel was left)

She got the same treatment to the in-mirror LED turn indicators too.
(3 coats Nightshades, 3 coats clear, clear coat safe rubbing compound)

The make-up continued with 3M gloss-vinyl wrapping her door handles and 15% front window / brow tint to match her rear

...and a full LED conversion.
Red Map / glove box lights

Puddle lights (never mind the dirty-girl...she needed a bath!)

Lic Plate Lights

Also, rear cargo light (white), rear indicator bulbs (red instead of amber...pic upcoming), reverse lights (white...and wicked bright).

Some new specs to help her see at night
(Morimoto 5000K 55w headlamps)
(DDM 3000K 55w foglamps)

Still a little out of the typical order of modding, but a great idea for an exhaust presented itself, and the opportunity to sport a prototype couldn't be passed on.
So here we are; my baby-girl's starting to develop her own personality and find her adult voice.

MDesigns (Spartn27) - Final Prototype {Full Write-Up w/ VIDEO}
Full Custom Exhaust

Her drive to be unique has not only landed her a one-of-a-kind exhaust, but fostered a sense of creativity that has driven her to further pursue what she's playfully-nicknamed; "The Top Secret Aesthetics Project"...not sure what that means, but I think we'll have an idea soon!

Stay Tuned!
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

SHOdded

Don't be surprised if many suitors show up for her prom :D  Had a ball reading this, and look forward to more!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

panther427

Wonderful story. It's gonna make her very popular at finishing school. 

Can't wait to read the next instalment of black Betty. Will she be learning to sing?

Or will she have had another international incident with a priiis.
2013 SHO

bigmoneycloser

2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

donky4444

2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0tt with LMS tune

2014 SHO 402a PP 20" flower wheels. LME  tune, 3 bar MAP, LED Puddle Lights and LED DRL's from Drive Bright, tinted head and tail lights, gloss black vinyl wrapped all chrome with custom chrome SHO emblems front and rear. SOLD

2015 X Sport LME 3 bar tune, LED Puddle and plate lights

QuickSilver

Jak, judging by the quality of the pics in your write up of the catch can install and now this build thread, you have waaaaay too much time ;D
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

JimiJak

Quote from: QuickSilver on May 07, 2014, 01:33:16 PM
Jak, judging by the quality of the pics in your write up of the catch can install and now this build thread, you have waaaaay too much time ;D

I wish that we're true!
Only at work my friends...only at work. ;D
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

bigmoneycloser

I really like the turn and reverse light tint...
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes