• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

My First Weekend With Torque Pro, Questions...

Started by QuickSilver, March 10, 2014, 02:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuickSilver

So I bought the Nexus 7" tablet and suction cup mount and OBDII wireless Bluetooth adaptor from ebay and finally got everything 'paired' on Friday. It's way cool but I'm having some trouble understanding a few features and values that Torque Pro is showing.

Intake Maifold pressure.  I thought this would be same as boost but it's showing positive pressure even at idle and cruise.  That cant be right?

Coolant temp.  I've installed the 170 degree Thermostat but it's never that low while cruising even when outside air temps are in the 40's. Usually 185-195.  I've also noticed the factory temp gauge doesn't budge even when I see 20 degree swings on the Torque Pro.

Manifold vacuum.  Its showing crazy numbers like 49 in Hg. That's not even possible, 28 in hg is absolute zero at sea level right?l.

Maybe I missed some sort of calibration procedure?  I'm not very tech savvy, I can assemble  motors and fabricate parts but when it comes to tech/electronics, I am about 20 years behind the smart kids in class :-[

Datalogging. No clue how to do that :blink:, I'd like to send LMS what I'm running so they can adjust the tune for me, I have a feeling I'm running rich.  Anyone have a datalogging tutorial for the short bus guys like me?
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

BiGMaC

Quote from: QuickSilver on March 10, 2014, 02:03:52 PM
So I bought the Nexus 7" tablet and suction cup mount and OBDII wireless Bluetooth adaptor from ebay and finally got everything 'paired' on Friday. It's way cool but I'm having some trouble understanding a few features and values that Torque Pro is showing.

Intake Maifold pressure.  I thought this would be same as boost but it's showing positive pressure even at idle and cruise.  That cant be right?

Coolant temp.  I've installed the 170 degree Thermostat but it's never that low while cruising even when outside air temps are in the 40's. Usually 185-195.  I've also noticed the factory temp gauge doesn't budge even when I see 20 degree swings on the Torque Pro.

Manifold vacuum.  Its showing crazy numbers like 49 in Hg. That's not even possible, 28 in hg is absolute zero at sea level right?l.

Maybe I missed some sort of calibration procedure?  I'm not very tech savvy, I can assemble  motors and fabricate parts but when it comes to tech/electronics, I am about 20 years behind the smart kids in class :-[

Datalogging. No clue how to do that :blink:, I'd like to send LMS what I'm running so they can adjust the tune for me, I have a feeling I'm running rich.  Anyone have a datalogging tutorial for the short bus guys like me?

In Order:
The SHO uses two sensors... Throttle-body Input Pressure (TIP sensor is on the hotpipe immediately before it enters the TB)  and Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP sensor is on top of the left side of the manifold about 16"-20" from the TIP... I don't know which one Torque reads or if it can read both and calculates you a value... many of the readings Torque gives are calculated and not measured directly... so it may not be absolute.

The temp of a T-stat is the temp of coolant at which it opens... not directly related to coolant temp when driving around, i.e., a 170 degree T-stat is not intended to keep the coolant temp at 170 degrees.  The T-stat will start the cooling sooner if it's cooler, but the coolant temp once your engine is warm is related to ambient temp and under hood temp (heat soak) balanced against cooling system capabilities... your temp numbers seem about what they should be to me.

barometric pressure (=atmospheric pressure) at see level is +761mmHG (2.54cm = 1" = 25.4mm).  Vacuum the engine creates is an absolute number regardless of barometric pressures for practical purposes.   I do think you need a calibration as I'm unaware of manifold vacuums lower that 15-20. I could be wrong. are you sure of the units displayed?

I would call LMS and discuss your data logging ideas with them to see what they can use.

Check out the Torque website support section.

Cheers.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Larrylu

If it's boost you are looking for scroll down almost go the end of the torque value menu to find the boost/vacuum gauge. That's the one I'm using. Any of the manifold pressure sensors will (I think) deliver a positive value even at idle because they are including atmospheric pressure which we do not want to count as boost. So you need a formula to deduct atmospheric from the reading.  The formula they provide from the menu works pretty well and it's real easy to use.

I haven't used Torque for data logging as yet so can't help you there.

Good luck!
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

QuickSilver

OK, I still don't have a working Boost gauge ???  I've tried every datapoint in the list of the Torque Pro app.  The numbers don't make sense even if I do the math and add 14.7 to the shown value... in the Vac/boost gauge reading Im seein 54" of vac???  makes no sense to me.  I've got my tablet set up with these...
AJ

2014 Ingot Silver Explorer Sport- LMS V3 Tune, AirRaid CAI, Hi_flow Catted DP's to Complete dual 2.5" exhaust, 19"X 9.5"TSW Panorama Rotary Forged/powdercoated Rims, Cree LED Foglights, Hoping for those Megan coilovers to be developed...

Larrylu

OK The Vac/Boost gauge is the one you want. If your result is bogus it's telling you that you have made some bad choices in the configuration /set up menu. You don't have to do any math.  Go back and recheck the menu that let's you input all the specific values for your car like gallons in the gas tank, and weight. There is one place where where you have to select from I think 3 labels one of which is MAP. I can't remember what the other two are but I'm pretty sure you need to keep the default selection. I remember because I made the wrong choice at first and I had some bad values to my boost gauge. I went through this a long time ago so it's not fresh in my mind. If you can't get it let me know and I'll take some screen shots of my configuration menu to get your choices squared away.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

QuickSilver

Quote from: Larrylu on March 24, 2014, 11:12:15 PM
OK The Vac/Boost gauge is the one you want. If your result is bogus it's telling you that you have made some bad choices in the configuration /set up menu. You don't have to do any math.  Go back and recheck the menu that let's you input all the specific values for your car like gallons in the gas tank, and weight. There is one place where where you have to select from I think 3 labels one of which is MAP. I can't remember what the other two are but I'm pretty sure you need to keep the default selection. I remember because I made the wrong choice at first and I had some bad values to my boost gauge. I went through this a long time ago so it's not fresh in my mind. If you can't get it let me know and I'll take some screen shots of my configuration menu to get your choices squared away.

I'm still tinkering with the tablet and Torque Larry but other than the drop down menu that offers to add/delete/move/change size/change gauge style  etc etc, I cant find any menu to 'configure' the values.  They some work great like RPMs and temps but even using the vacuum/boost selection from the menu the numbers it give are still nonsense. I am full of fail on this one :(
AJ

Larrylu

I don't know if this will solve the problem but it might help to move you forward. As I said it's been a long time since I was immersed in this project so I'm a bit rusty. First you need to get out of the display where the gauges are (real time information) and get back to what is sort of a home screen for Torque

In the lower left corner you will see a small gear icon. Click on that and you will see a menu

Click on  Vehicle profile

These three show my vehicle profile. I unfortunately did not find the menu choice I remember as offering MAP as one of the selections. I'll keep looking for it as I think it might be at the center of your problem. Let me know if going through these menus gets you going in the right direction. Good luck!

QuickSilver

Perfect Larry, thanks. Im working on the race car today, Vegas race only 5 days away but I'll give it shot this evening :)
AJ

QuickSilver

Hmmm, I thought I had posted back after going into the settings menu Larry...  Setting the boost level to 0 (zero) fixed the issue with odd boost numbers. It was especially helpful when towing to watch the level of boost over the long grade on the 15 to Vegas towing a trailer. In most cases, the boost level (and Intake Air Temps) would come down by dropping a gear and reving the motor a little higher.  It was HOT on the way, like 98 degrees outside and I saw coolant temps as high as 210 which is not too bad considering the conditions. I missed that extra 200ftlbs of torque my V10 Touareg had but Quicksilver did a fine job towing a relatively light 3000lb load 8)
AJ

SHOdded

Time for a lower temp tstat, AJ!  With tune of course ...
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

pejohnson

I need to work on my settings as well. Good to hear it's working correctly now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
13 Platinum White, PP, 402A, Moonroof, Multi-contour seats, and Navigation.  MODS - LMS 93 octane 3bar tune, 160 LMS thermostat, Airaid CAI, 15% tint, interior LED upgrade, LED puddle lights, Nurburgring 20" Gloss Black Powercoated Rims, H&R springs, Corsa catback exhaust, LMS catted downpipes

Best time 1/4 mile 12.588 sec @ 109.44 mph

QuickSilver

Quote from: SHOdded on May 07, 2014, 02:15:04 PM
Time for a lower temp tstat, AJ!  With tune of course ...

Prolly should update my sig line, the 170Tstat was one of my first mods at like 600 miles.
AJ

Larrylu

Quote from: QuickSilver on May 07, 2014, 01:55:14 PM
Hmmm, I thought I had posted back after going into the settings menu Larry...  Setting the boost level to 0 (zero) fixed the issue with odd boost numbers. It was especially helpful when towing to watch the level of boost over the long grade on the 15 to Vegas towing a trailer. In most cases, the boost level (and Intake Air Temps) would come down by dropping a gear and reving the motor a little higher.  It was HOT on the way, like 98 degrees outside and I saw coolant temps as high as 210 which is not too bad considering the conditions. I missed that extra 200ftlbs of torque my V10 Touareg had but Quicksilver did a fine job towing a relatively light 3000lb load 8)

I'm glad you got the wrinkles out of the set up. I've been enjoying using, playing with mine for a while now. Hope you do too!