• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

JLT Oil Separator

Started by WhitePlatinumSHO, April 30, 2014, 09:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

salsathe4th

Quote from: FPO on December 04, 2014, 07:40:16 PM
I would say my jlt catch can works...

I cleaned it  15 days  ago
about 10 ml of oil

How long was the time interval between emptying out? Im thinking about getting the JLT catch can (ease of installation and cheaper) but I wanna know just how effective it is. My car is now over 90,000 miles and want to have it last till at least 150,000.  :x:
"Do or do not, there is no try"         2010 MKS, 22" Motiv Maranello Rims, Mdesign CAI with VTA, LMS 4X tune and lovin' it
-master yoda

metroplex

The JLT separator on my 4.6L 3V V8 Mustang GT has almost gotten completely filled in under 2000 miles. It depends on how you drive it.
Previously: 2014 SHO
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

Current: 2017 Fusion Sport

metroplex

Has anyone installed their new 3.0 separator? I noticed they used Air Brake hose, with the pin holes that allow moisture to escape. This seems to cause excessive fuel vapors to seep through the hose, into the engine compartment, and go through the HVAC system. Their separator from last year used the Ford nylon stiff hose (at least for my Mustang) which is the OEM hose PCV/vapor/fuel systems.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 31, 2016, 01:50:55 PM
Has anyone installed their new 3.0 separator? I noticed they used Air Brake hose, with the pin holes that allow moisture to escape. This seems to cause excessive fuel vapors to seep through the hose, into the engine compartment, and go through the HVAC system. Their separator from last year used the Ford nylon stiff hose (at least for my Mustang) which is the OEM hose PCV/vapor/fuel systems.

I used Gates 1/2" PCV hose for mine. No pin holes. I don't notice any smell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2013 XSport

MiWiAu

Quote from: MiWiAu on December 31, 2016, 06:40:55 PM

I used Gates 1/2" PCV hose for mine. No pin holes. I don't notice any smell. This is an RX can.

I got extra Gates hose from my local NAPA. Maybe you could switch out your hose?

2013 XSport

metroplex

I see that you're using the Gates hose with your RX can. My JLT separator shipped directly from JLT with the Thermoid Air Brake hoses, and Vinny even sent me photos of their own install on a SHO using the Thermoid Air Brake hoses!

The Thermoid air brake hoses have evenly spaced "pin holes":
http://www.tectran.com/images/pdf/TB_pinpricks.pdf

After reading that, I am really really surprised that someone even decided to use these on an oil separator installed in a PCV environment.
The air brake hoses are almost totally saturated in fuel vapor fumes right now. The wire looms I used to cover the hoses are also saturated in fumes. I thought I had a massive fuel leak in the engine compartment, and even thought my open breather was causing those fumes.

I bought the Gates 1/2" PCV/Fuel hoses from O'Reilly's ready to install. What kind of hose clamps did you use?

I'm going to re-use the stock PCV hose and then run the open breather to see if there's any impact. Then re-install the PCV system.

What kind of oil/moisture is your RX catching? The JLT only catches a lot of fuel vapor, not much (if any) oil at all. I guess the stock factory oil separator works really well.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on December 31, 2016, 07:27:54 PM

I see that you're using the Gates hose with your RX can. My JLT separator shipped directly from JLT with the Thermoid Air Brake hoses, and Vinny even sent me photos of their own install on a SHO using the Thermoid Air Brake hoses!

The Thermoid air brake hoses have evenly spaced "pin holes":
http://www.tectran.com/images/pdf/TB_pinpricks.pdf

After reading that, I am really really surprised that someone even decided to use these on an oil separator installed in a PCV environment.
The air brake hoses are almost totally saturated in fuel vapor fumes right now. The wire looms I used to cover the hoses are also saturated in fumes. I thought I had a massive fuel leak in the engine compartment, and even thought my open breather was causing those fumes.

I bought the Gates 1/2" PCV/Fuel hoses from O'Reilly's ready to install. What kind of hose clamps did you use?

I'm going to re-use the stock PCV hose and then run the open breather to see if there's any impact. Then re-install the PCV system.

What kind of oil/moisture is your RX catching? The JLT only catches a lot of fuel vapor, not much (if any) oil at all. I guess the stock factory oil separator works really well.

I did not use any hose clamps on the actual OCC connections, since they were pretty tight barbed connections, but for the check valves, etc, I just used a standard stainless worm gear hose clamp. For some of the tighter connections, I used a tiny bit of dielectric grease to slide the hose over the connectors.

Seems like the pinholes have the possibility of reducing the overall efficacy of the catch can due to lower vacuum. I don't like the idea of that, personally. Dunno. Just seems weird. Maybe an inquiry to JLT asking why they chose to use that hose?

I just got back from a 1000 mi road trip and got another 13 oz from my drain. Looks like maybe 60% water, and the rest looks like a muddy/milky mixture of something plus a little bit (maybe 5%) of some oily snot. Hard to say the exact composition without an analysis.

2013 XSport

MiWiAu

This is another 13oz Rx drain after a recent 1000 mi road trip. Mostly highway miles with very few cooling cycles, in between startups. Engine was warm for most of these miles so warmup condensation would have been minimal.

2013 XSport

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

metroplex

That doesn't look like oil to me, maybe some of the milky substance. My Mustang GT (4.6L 3V) has a JLT that collects 100% oil, and I have to empty it out like every 300-500 miles so it is collecting about 1 oz every 1000 miles. I would just pour it back into the engine as there wasn't any moisture or byproduct.

The EcoBoost, from everything I have seen, seems to have an effective oil separator on the valve cover, it's just the condensation/vapor collection is quite a lot - probably from the GTDI fuel dilution? I know the 2016 SHOs got rid of the factory oil separator, I'm wondering if the 2015-up Explorer Sports are the same way.

I've got the new Gates PCV hose ready to go on there to test. You should have smelled my SHO with the JLT-equipped airbrake hoses. The hoses reeked of gasoline, and it was wafting through the engine compartment and into the ventilation ducts. I can't believe an engineer would approve that design.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

In my OCC how-to write up, there are some pictures in the beginning of the thread of oil pooling in the CAC outlet pipe to the point where it was seeping out of the intake tube and collecting on the valve cover. I definitely had motor oil in the intake system. I'm sure this had been collecting for the ~29,000 or so miles since the vehicle was new, but since installing the OCC, CSS, and doing the BOV VTA, I have not seen any oil return to my intake plumbing in the ~7,000mi since install, so one of those things must be doing something. :)

2013 XSport

metroplex

Can you take a pic of your rear valve cover PCV connection? I'm curious to see if the X sports are the same.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

Quote from: metroplex on January 01, 2017, 09:16:57 PM
Can you take a pic of your rear valve cover PCV connection? I'm curious to see if the X sports are the same.

Yep! I'll grab one one tomorrow when the sun comes out. :)

2013 XSport

metroplex

Mike,
As an update I contacted Thermoid, the manufacturer of the J1402A air brake hoses that JLT used for the JLT 3.0 separator. They said it is not rated for gasoline/fuel. I read J1402A and it only covers environmental resistance against oil, water, and ozone - which makes sense. Thermoid even said their air brake hoses have pin holes that would allow fuel vapors to escape. Thermoid recommend their SAE J30R6 or SAE J30R7 hoses for this application, which happens to be the SAE spec for PCV/EEC/Fuel hoses.

JLT did finally respond, but the fact remains the hoses were weeping out gas fumes in an engine compartment to the point I could smell the gas fumes in the garage.

Hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else but it seems like EcoBoost owners are all using UPR or RX anyhow.
12.4 @ 110.9 mph

MiWiAu

That's wild that they would choose to use that hose. I wonder if that's the stuff they've been using since inception, or if it was a recent change. Thanks for the follow-up!

I still owe you a picture of my rear separator. I will try to do that first thing in the AM before I get sidetracked again. :)
2013 XSport