• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

MKS Stereo upgrades?

Started by Woody, April 29, 2014, 10:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

Quote from: ZSHO on May 04, 2014, 03:35:58 PM
First thing I hate is ripping a new car apart or messing around with wires,learned the hard way,from past experiences a bazooka bass tube is the way to go,its a tube that has a built in amp and speaker built in one,it comes in 8 or 10 inch and it will blow your socks off,and best part its portable, just disconnect the neg and positive wire.

I LOVE tearing into a fresh car, literally it is like Christmas for me.  But that's one reason I build for others and try to help fellow forum members, family, friends, etc. 

Re the Bazooka tube...I bet my own Flex I can create a better sub system in less space.  Anyone want to take that bet?  Brands like Bazooka make OK stuff, but there's too much bean counting and compromise.  But if anybody likes cylindrical sub enclosures, I have a few Sonotube designs that may pique your interest.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Woody

Wow.  Thanks for all the information already Lanson.  I hope I can be the person to start digging into the car and show folks what is there.  Unfortunately time is tight around here.  I could see myself ripping all the trim out of the trunk and starting there.  Would that provide much improvement?  I'm sure it would provide some insight into wiring.  I already pulled back the left side trim and found, like the Taurus, that is where the amp is mounted.  Also, thinking of a stealth install, noted that there are similar spaces on the right and other areas in the trunk where one could mount an aftermarket amp for a sub.

Ironically, the other car in my garage is a 2011 Flex.  So it's interesting following your build.  I will likely never do anything with that car though.  It's my wife's daily driver now, and we plan to keep it after it's paid off to transport the troupes around.

Lanson

Quote from: Woody on May 04, 2014, 10:16:43 PM
Wow.  Thanks for all the information already Lanson.  I hope I can be the person to start digging into the car and show folks what is there.  Unfortunately time is tight around here.  I could see myself ripping all the trim out of the trunk and starting there.  Would that provide much improvement?  I'm sure it would provide some insight into wiring.  I already pulled back the left side trim and found, like the Taurus, that is where the amp is mounted.  Also, thinking of a stealth install, noted that there are similar spaces on the right and other areas in the trunk where one could mount an aftermarket amp for a sub.

Ironically, the other car in my garage is a 2011 Flex.  So it's interesting following your build.  I will likely never do anything with that car though.  It's my wife's daily driver now, and we plan to keep it after it's paid off to transport the troupes around.

When you're tearing into there, you might as well do it while installing deadening/sealing material.  It will make better use of the time, and you'll get a benefit at the same time. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Scott4957

I'm dragging this post out of the basement as I had the same request as the OP. Lanson sounded like he had some great ideas for replacing the stock sub in the stock location with something better performing. I love the THX II system but would just like a bit of extra bass. No issues with doing some fabrication on my end to fit the right sub as well as adding an amp if the stock output is not enough. Lanson seems to be on another level when it comes to choosing the right hardware and when and where to do the sound deadening.

Thanks,
Scott
2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost, AJP Tuned

SHOdded

PM Lanson with questions, if he does not respond on this forum.   He's still active over on fordflex.net if you needed another contact point.  Finally, Mike (EcoPowerParts) will likely know how to get in touch with him.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!