• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Tie rods at 25k miles?

Started by PopolZ, April 25, 2014, 12:48:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopolZ

Hi guys,

I just did my 40,000KM service (~25K miles) and the tie-rods are already showing some loose.
anyone else had that problem???
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

1991 Nissan Skyline GTR, Pearl Black Metallic - a few goodies

68_GT

how could you tell ? that seems to be unusual ? havent' heard that from guys with much higher mileage and I'm at 30K miles not problems that Im aware of. Alignment / tire wear is perfect and it drives like new ??
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SHOdded

Not a common occurrence by any means, but a couple of owners have had their vehicle's tie rods replaced.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

BiGMaC

Quote from: PopolZ on April 25, 2014, 12:48:44 AM
Hi guys,

I just did my 40,000KM service (~25K miles) and the tie-rods are already showing some loose.
anyone else had that problem???
Quote from: 68_GT on April 25, 2014, 09:04:28 AM
how could you tell ? that seems to be unusual ? havent' heard that from guys with much higher mileage and I'm at 30K miles not problems that Im aware of. Alignment / tire wear is perfect and it drives like new ??

I'm wondering too....Could you describe what you found indicating that the tie-rods were loose please....

I assume you are worried about tie-rod ends.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

PopolZ

Took my car in for oil change and inspection. A slight uneven tire wear disturbed the mechanic so he looked for the cause. And sure enough there's a little wiggle in the tie-rods.
2010 Ford Taurus SHO, non-PP, Steel Blue #243 of 301 - Custom tune by Torrie@Unleashed, PPE non-catted downpipes, custom 3rd cat & resonator delete, water/meth injection, HKS SSQV3 BOV and Carbotech AX6 brake pads.

ZSHO

Make a long story short do you have aftermarket rims or original,because sometimes non oe rims can cause premature wear in the front end by excessive weight and sometimes a shimmy doing about 50,If not balanced properly that little vibration will eat up the front end,i learned the hard way

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

shoman04

With our electric steering if you bump the front end it well knock it out of alignment (but electric will fight to keep it straight). With UHP rubber will wear fast with no sign of pulling until the tires start wearing. Maybe all-season tires wear better but put the wear on the tie-rods.?mmmmm-IDK
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

IHeartGroceries

Seems to be a number of weak suspension components on this car.
At least tie rod/ends are alot of fun to install. :D ;)
Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

BiGMaC

ZSHO raises a good point...

of you guys that have had a suspension component fail... how many had aftermarket wheels or tires of size>+1 and/or wheel spacers?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

PopolZ

I'm running the stock wheels for the summer and 18" wheels for the winter.

n8rfastback

I've got stick wheels, at 80k, and I need only the driver side tie rod end replaced, and only because my wife took on a pot hole and bent a rim... Otherwise everything is tight up front
2010 SHO

ShoBoat

I had a tie rod replaced at 10k, it and my car was bone stock during that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.