• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Burping radiator after 170 tstat change?

Started by 2010SHOtime, April 26, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

The ford procedure is to vacuum bleed it
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

Charliemkv

Quote from: ZSHO on November 06, 2015, 07:13:58 PM
The 160 stat uses the oem gasket and if you do have a new gasket would definetly use the NEW one.  NEW GASKET AFFIRMATIVE.   BTW the nipple(valve should be facing up(2400hrs)  Z
Why is it important for the T stat to be orientated to 2400, Nipple up?..I installed mine maybe 3 weeks ago, not paying attention to orientation of it, I haven't  had any temp issues. Heavy Driving puts my Temps at about 215-225.
2011 Taurus SHO PP, 3bar sensor, 170 t stat, NGK plugs, K&N drop in filter, SCT X4 Tune.

glock-coma

If your tstat had a "jiggle valve" it's supposed to be installed at 12 o'clock
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ZSHO

The reishe 170 stat diagram says to install the nipple facing 2400 hrs position.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

SHOdded

Air will always rise, and the best place for it to be "untrapped" is at the top, hence the placement of the jiggle valve at the 12 o'clock position.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Charliemkv

Makes sense, I'm gonna have to open it up again..Thanks guys.
2011 Taurus SHO PP, 3bar sensor, 170 t stat, NGK plugs, K&N drop in filter, SCT X4 Tune.

ZSHO

Quote from: glock-coma on August 22, 2016, 10:14:18 PM
If your tstat had a "jiggle valve" it's supposed to be installed at 12 o'clock

Damn Glock you got me back,LOL.  Z ;)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

joe raptor

I just bought a 170* thermostat from Torrie and it doesn't have the air bleeder or the jiggle valve !. Does it matter what position I install this one ??. Thanks

sholxgt

Quote from: joe raptor on August 23, 2016, 10:28:14 AM
I just bought a 170* thermostat from Torrie and it doesn't have the air bleeder or the jiggle valve !. Does it matter what position I install this one ??. Thanks

Mine didn't either.  Confused by the above information about the Reische thermostate instructions mentioning a nipple.  My instructions didn't mention an install orientation and I didn't see a nipple.  Maybe they have changed the design?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

hawkeye93

I don't think the 170 deg thermostats that Torrie is selling are from Reische.  His website doesn't mention Reische at all.

At any rate, if you don't have a jiggle valve or a bleed notch, install it in any position (except backwards, of course).
2015 Ford Taurus SHO PP 12.219@112.84
PPE catless DP, Gearhead IC, SP-534, Reische 170, 3 bar, hybrid meth system, tunes from Unleashed, Livernois, Brew City Boost & AJP

1965 Ford Mustang Convertible 289 4V/T5Z/3.55
1955 Ford Fairlane Club Sedan 272 4V/Fordomatic

sholxgt

Mine came from EcoPowerParts and is a Reische.  I did not see a nipple and my instructions do not mention install orientation.  The instructions are extremely basic.  I can scan and post if anyone cares.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

SHOdded

Quote from: sholxgt on August 23, 2016, 11:12:30 AM
Mine came from EcoPowerParts and is a Reische.  I did not see a nipple and my instructions do not mention install orientation.  The instructions are extremely basic.  I can scan and post if anyone cares.
Please do.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Nice that they include suggested fan settings, but the install instructions are pretty basic.  I should check with my tuner to see if those are the fan settings he used. Ahemm.

ZSHO

I purchased my Reische 170 stat a few years back and it had some type of air bleeder type valve on top and clearly was made in Germany and not quite sure if there is an updated version IDK...probably be wise to monitor overall coolant temps if you have any such Doubt's IMO.  BTW have noticed many sites selling the Rat 170-stat for far less and IMO would avoid,no dis intended.  Z..

SHOdded

Must be different from the one I got, Z, it says USA, 56mm, and STC on it (Stant Thermostat Corp, I believe).  Their website says they use USA parts & modify it by hand, so maybe they changed their process?

Apparently the 3.5L engines of this vintage use the same thermostat from factory?  The MOTORCRAFT RT1228 {#1X4Z8575A} 190 Degree Thermostat