• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Burping radiator after 170 tstat change?

Started by 2010SHOtime, April 26, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCSHO341

Yea had a pretty good amount spill while I was doing the swap. And yes I had the car running while passengers side was elevated with the air on the highest temp. It only got hot if I was idling at 2k rpms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

If you want to try with a spillfree funnel, that could do the trick in this case (it did for Rich).  YT has some videos on this:
! No longer available
! No longer available
It would be attached to the degas bottle/coolant reservoir in this case.  The nice thing is you have now automatically created a "high spot" in the cooling system without the need for jacking up anything!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ZSHO

I didnt even know you got your car back from the dealer after seeing your post help needed asap,how much coolant did you loose roughly(couple of quarts)if so while the car is COLD fill up the coolant reservoir to the top,then start up the car and let it warm up for ten min while your sitting and observing the gauge with the HEATER on full blast making sure the gauge does not exceed the half way mark,if so SHUT HER OFF and wait 15 min and with CAUTION gently turn the reservoir cap until you hear air being released and close it again,now drive the car for 5-10 min close to HOME while monitoring the gauge carefully,now upon returning home let her COOL of again for 15 min and gently open the reservoir cap to let some air out and close again,if the gauge did NOT EXCEED past the middle follow the steps above a couple more times later in the day,important to note is the next morning,DO NOT start the car,check the COOLANT LEVEL while the car is COLD,top off if necessary,follow the steps above the next day again,CLOSELY MONITORING the coolant level and gauge,you will find out PATIENCE IS THE KEY in this procedure,now need to get me a nice cup of JOE to wake up.lol  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

USMCSHO341

Just got my car back Thursday evening. Took em 3 weeks to install a water pump. SMH. Im sure I lost a quart or two of fluids so I'm going to the store here soon to grab some antifreeze.

USMCSHO341

So I just finished turning the tstat to the correct position. And I topped of the reservoir. Car has been running for about45 min with heat set to the highest setting. Still blowing cool air. But again unless I rev it to about 2k rpm it doesn't get warm. I need a good dose of patience for this car.

ZSHO

Quote from: USMCSHO341 on November 07, 2015, 12:15:15 PM
So I just finished turning the tstat to the correct position. And I topped of the reservoir. Car has been running for about45 min with heat set to the highest setting. Still blowing cool air. But again unless I rev it to about 2k rpm it doesn't get warm. I need a good dose of patience for this car.

Did you take it for a brief drive as mentioned above,just trying to help ya.  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

USMCSHO341

Driving it around the neiborhood now. Temps are in the middle for the last 10 min

USMCSHO341

Should I have the AC setting on ?  Or just regular air ? With the heat turned on max

ZSHO

Quote from: USMCSHO341 on November 07, 2015, 12:29:48 PM
Driving it around the neiborhood now. Temps are in the middle for the last 10 min

I'm a bit confused,isn't it suppose to be in the middle, if the car has been running well over 45 min then shut it off and wait 15 min and slowly loosen the the reservoir cap until you hear air coming out and tighten,then take it for a quick drive and repeat the process.  Z

USMCSHO341

Quote from: ZSHO on November 07, 2015, 12:45:42 PM
Quote from: USMCSHO341 on November 07, 2015, 12:29:48 PM

I'm a bit confused,isn't it suppose to be in the middle, if the car has been running well over 45 min then shut it off and wait 15 min and slowly loosen the the reservoir cap until you hear air coming out and tighten,then take it for a quick drive and repeat the process.  Z

Yup I've driven around the neighborhood twice now and each time I loosen the reservoir cap and a lil air come out. I'm just repeating it hoping the air will go ahead and escape. But the air is still cool.

glock-coma

Did you follow the burp procedure link in post #7?
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ZSHO

USMCSHO341

Quote from: glock-coma on November 07, 2015, 01:38:48 PM
Did you follow the burp procedure link in post #7?

Yes I tried that it didn't work. Just finished driving down the road and temps were in a good range the whole time even if I gave it a lil gas. However, the air is only slightly warm.

SHOdded

Heat was working fine though before you started on the TStat replacement?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

USMCSHO341

Quote from: SHOdded on November 07, 2015, 05:02:06 PM
Heat was working fine though before you started on the TStat replacement?
yup heat was fine up til now.