• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Burping radiator after 170 tstat change?

Started by 2010SHOtime, April 26, 2014, 04:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010SHOtime

Hey guys,

Maybe this is a silly question but I just got done changeing out my tstat and now I'm curious how do I go about burping the system or if I even need to do it?

Thanks!
2010 SHO 402A non PP. Best time 13.113 @ 105.81
Tuned by Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning, sp534 plugs, 170 t-stat, 3 bar sensor.
2013 explorer (wifeys car)
2002 Orange Camaro SS-sold

BiGMaC

Quote from: 2010SHOtime on April 26, 2014, 04:23:48 PM
Hey guys,

Maybe this is a silly question but I just got done changeing out my tstat and now I'm curious how do I go about burping the system or if I even need to do it?

Thanks!

Refill the reservoir to max cold fill lin... start the car....Turn on the heater full blast... and drive around easy normal ... (not just idle)... for 20-30 min.  That usually does it.... refill the reservoir again and check it daily for a couple of days (likely won't need more).   The refill can be done with Water Wetter, recommended Ford coolant (see your OM), or distilled water

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

2010SHOtime

2010 SHO 402A non PP. Best time 13.113 @ 105.81
Tuned by Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning, sp534 plugs, 170 t-stat, 3 bar sensor.
2013 explorer (wifeys car)
2002 Orange Camaro SS-sold

Larrylu

That's exactly what I did and it worked perfectly for me. No problem burping at all!

2010 Steel Blue Metallic, Fully Loaded, non PP, LMS 4+, K&N drop in, 170 T-stat, 3 bar MAP
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

southtxSHO

Great info , will be doing this tomorrow .Got my 160 t-stat in today

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

2011 SHO non PP
LMS 4 +tune
LMS Cai
LMS catted downpipes
12.89@ 105 MPH best time @ Edinburg Raceway

USMCSHO341

How or what is the easiest way to fill the reservoir tank after I swap out my tstat? I'm looking to do this once I get my car back out of the shop. And I would like as much info as possible. Additionally I just got my tunes as well so I'll be loading it up as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SHOdded

Parke on level ground.  Right side up on a curb or jackstand to create a high point.  Lisle SpillFree Funnel to add coolant to the degas/overflow bottle.  Then follow the "burp" procedure.  After cooldown, add more coolant as needed.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

USMCSHO341

I just removed the tstat housing and pulled the stock tstat. There is a rubber oring on the stocker. I bought a replacement oring for the 160 tstat is that nescessary to place it in there with the 160 stat?

USMCSHO341

Need help asap

USMCSHO341

ZSHO

The 160 stat uses the oem gasket and if you do have a new gasket would definetly use the NEW one.  NEW GASKET AFFIRMATIVE.   BTW the nipple(valve should be facing up(2400hrs)  Z

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

pmezo33

Might as well use the new one since you bought it.  I used the one that was already in there and it worked fine too, but I just replaced it with an oem motorcraft. 

USMCSHO341

Well I installed the tstat and I wasn't aware that the nipple thing was supposed to be at the top. I guess I'll have to work on it again in the morning. I also failed at burping the system. Cold air when the heat is on becomes warmer if I rev to 2k rpm. Drove it around the neiborhood and it started to overheat. So I had to stop and turn it off and wait for it to cool to continue. Before driving I had the RS front wheel up on a ramp trying to burp the system. I guess it didn't work.

USMCSHO341

Quote from: ZSHO on November 06, 2015, 07:13:58 PM
The 160 stat uses the oem gasket and if you do have a new gasket would definetly use the NEW one.  NEW GASKET AFFIRMATIVE.   BTW the nipple(valve should be facing up(2400hrs)  Z

Btw why is the nipple supposed to be up?

SHOdded

Definitely sounds like low coolant/air bubble situation.  You ran the blower at max with climate control on FULL HOT?  Sometimes you have to repeat a few times before it takes, but having the TStat point the right way is mighty important, so I'd take care of that first.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!