• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Coilovers for Flex/SHO/Explorer/MKS/MKT

Started by EcoPowerParts, December 10, 2012, 03:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RL-2005

I guess I'm just imagining how ford engineers would select different dampers and springs for the flex vs the sho.  i would imagine the 2 extremes which are a fully unloaded sho rear-end vs a fully loaded flex rear-end.  in my mind that would be a potential difference of ~700 lbs. of extra people and/or bags of mulch from Lowe's.  i feel like you would want a way different amount pre-load and amount of compression travel, and in my mind an adjustable shock may help dynamically, but not static situations.

i understand that megan designed them for the potentially loaded up flex, so this would mean the springs might be too stiff for the sho.

The eibachs and H&R's are moderately shorter and stiffer than oem, but designed for the same spring load/force. i dont know how much stiffer rear springs would affect handling.

i know i may be splitting hairs here, but its mostly because i want my car to look good AND be extremely safe.  i dont want some sudden loss of control in the rear end. 

anyone have experience with a car that had too stiff of springs in the rear?

Im sure these springs will be good for drag racing, almost acting like the rear helper airbags.  but i am more concerned about affecting the safety of my daily driver.  does anyone know the spring specs for the rear of the megan kit?

Lanson

Per their own website, 10kg front and 8kg rear.  You can go up or down 2kg with Sprint springs. 
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

darreli

Quote from: RL-2005 on August 07, 2013, 12:21:00 PM
I guess I'm just imagining how ford engineers would select different dampers and springs for the flex vs the sho.  i would imagine the 2 extremes which are a fully unloaded sho rear-end vs a fully loaded flex rear-end.  in my mind that would be a potential difference of ~700 lbs. of extra people and/or bags of mulch from Lowe's.  i feel like you would want a way different amount pre-load and amount of compression travel, and in my mind an adjustable shock may help dynamically, but not static situations.

i understand that megan designed them for the potentially loaded up flex, so this would mean the springs might be too stiff for the sho.

The eibachs and H&R's are moderately shorter and stiffer than oem, but designed for the same spring load/force. i dont know how much stiffer rear springs would affect handling.

i know i may be splitting hairs here, but its mostly because i want my car to look good AND be extremely safe.  i dont want some sudden loss of control in the rear end. 

anyone have experience with a car that had too stiff of springs in the rear?

Im sure these springs will be good for drag racing, almost acting like the rear helper airbags.  but i am more concerned about affecting the safety of my daily driver.  does anyone know the spring specs for the rear of the megan kit?

As noted above on the spring rates. Megan said we can increase or decrease as needed. I can tell you that the rear springs arent "too firm" on the rear of the SHO. I'm still working on what will be the perfect street settings. I'm currently 5 clicks softer than the middle on the rear and 3 clicks in the front.

RL-2005

well thanks for the real-world feedback darelli

on their site i am seeing:

F: 6kg/mm
R: 14kg/mm

Larson, where did you get the 10kg front and 8kg rear? and what did you mean by "You can go up or down 2kg with Sprint springs"?

looks like they added 4DRHTRD's pics to their site, nice work.

and then they added the custom instructions for the titanium. which are different than for the SHO right?

RL-2005

the stock numbers for SHO are:

F: 177 lbs/in
R: 507 lbs/in

The Eibach for SHO are:

F: 212 lbs/in
R: 342-612 lbs/in progressive

the megan springs convert to:

F: 336 lbs/in
R: 784 lbs/in

Eibachs are approx 20% stiffer in Front and 20% stiffer in Rear than OEM
Megans are approx 89% stiffer in Front and 55% stiffer in rear than OEM
Megans are approx 58% stiffer in Front and 28% stiffer in rear than Eibach

the stock ratio from front to rear is 177/507 = .35
the Eibach ratio from front to rear is 212/612 = .35
the Megan ratio from front to rear is 336/784 = .43

Lanson

Quote from: RL-2005 on August 07, 2013, 01:13:29 PM
well thanks for the real-world feedback darelli

on their site i am seeing:

F: 6kg/mm
R: 14kg/mm

Larson, where did you get the 10kg front and 8kg rear? and what did you mean by "You can go up or down 2kg with Sprint springs"?

looks like they added 4DRHTRD's pics to their site, nice work.

and then they added the custom instructions for the titanium. which are different than for the SHO right?

Its Lanson btw,

from here http://meganracingwholesale.com/megan_racing/megan_racing_coilovers_street_series/mrcdkffx09/i-1676843.aspx

But since you're on Megan's own site, best to go with those numbers I think.

OR, maybe we should call them because that is critical. 

Also, per Megan's website you are reading off of, "All of our dampers are capable of handling a +2kg/mm or -2kg/mm change in spring rates to further tune your suspension to your desired handling characteristics."

It was "Swift" not Sprint springs btw, sorry about that. You can go up or down 2kg/mm with Swift springs if need be.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

black99lightning

I'm bumping this.  I have 72K miles and have seepage out of a rear shock.  Where can I get the coilovers for the SHO?  Any modifications, or straight replacement?
2013 Esport 13.44 @ 103.6
1999 Lightning 12.44 @ 108.4
2012 GT500 10.96 @ 130.6
2006 GTO 12.83 @ 107.8
2013 CTSV coupe 11.79 @ 119.7

SwampRat

Quote from: black99lightning on February 08, 2014, 11:45:07 AM
I'm bumping this.  I have 72K miles and have seepage out of a rear shock.  Where can I get the coilovers for the SHO?  Any modifications, or straight replacement?

Since you have a 2011 SHO ,  the Coil-Overs that Megan Racing Sells for the  09-2012 Flex will work with minor Modifications.

http://www.meganracing.com/product_detail.asp?prodid=1456&catid=31

4DR has em ..... http://www.ecoboostpowerparts.com/
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

crash712us

Quote from: black99lightning on February 08, 2014, 11:45:07 AM
Contact 4dr he will give you the best deal hands down. Here is a link to the how to: http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php?topic=1901.msg25312#msg25312

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110