• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ultra High performance summer?

Started by Josephm, April 22, 2014, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimiJak

Quote from: Josephm on April 23, 2014, 07:58:45 PM
Weird. Tirerack.com is saying i don't have permission to access it.

is this a sign? ...or just a challenge? lol
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

SHODYOU

Hankook very easily wins that battle... Firestone is crap and Parada X is a sporty truck tire, won't even compare.

I run the V12 and love it... I want the V12 evo2 but trying to avoid directional rubber for rotations.
And the Hankook rides extremely well because its a softer sidewall.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/tire-test-nine-affordable-summer-tires-take-on-the-michelin-ps2-comparison-tests
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

Josephm

12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

shoman04

Quote from: Josephm on April 23, 2014, 08:46:57 PM
Thank you for the response!
Josephm I do not have the snow tire problem here in "HOT ATLANTA". But I was going to go with DD tire and track tires when my stock goodyear F1's ended at (ONLY!!!!!)20k miles. A local friend (tire shop) sold my some NEXEN N3000 UHP with as good #'s or better #'s that goodyear F1's #'s.
https://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Nexen/N3000
. AT a 1/3 of there(GOODYEAR) price. I got a set of 245x40x20 for DD and 275x40x20 for track. I have 40k mi on the DD's still very good wear!!!! The 275's are 1.2in wider than the 245's and I am running 12.3sec 1/4mi!!!!
DD

TRACK

12.3SEC
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

BiGMaC

shoman... Are you having to use wheel spacers on the 275s... or did you use wheels with a different offset?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Josephm

Jeeze huge premium going from 255-45 to 275-40/45
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

shoman04

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 23, 2014, 10:13:20 PM
shoman... Are you having to use wheel spacers on the 275s... or did you use wheels with a different offset?
I got the wheels from a EBPF Member bnoon (FLEX) and they are 20x8.5x +38 off-set.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/msbullitt-black-20x85-0509.html
2011 KONA BLU SHO,Livernois Tune,AIRAID CAI,DYNOMAX MUFFLEs,Newest member of the 12sec CLUB 12.669sec @ 107mph    2011 Ford Taurus SHO: 12.669 @ 105.050 MPH NEW FOR 2013LMS down-pipe,Magnaflow X-pipe,and Custom 2.5"exhaust pipe!! Meth and stage 5 next to be install!!!!!! METH DYNO TUNE today 405AWHP!!!WOW LMS track day 12.4209sec   :mike1:

Lanson

Ok, well I can help here.

Joseph this is Flex #1 I had.  It runs the Firestone tire you linked.

These were OK tires, but nothing "UHP" about them.  They are just another tire, like a lot of tires.  I had over 33k miles on Flex #1 when I sold it, and those tires and wheels were on there for most of that.  Tread was about 1/2 depth, didn't rotate too much but they did cup rather quickly in the rear (this Flex was a FWD, and that seems to make a big difference in how the rear wears.) 

So, they did last a long time, but straight-line traction was not really that great.  They didn't like being cold, they flat-spotted a little bit if parked for a few days, and they started cracking in the 3rd year of ownership from the high heat and dry climate we have, just a little bit in the tread.  They got pretty noisy as they wore.  Would I buy them again?  Meh.  Biggest pro for them was outstanding wet traction, especially when they were newish.  Price is right though.

On the Hankooks, I ran the predecessor to the V12 EVO K110 on my Supra, and this was back in the day.  It is a good tire, but it does nothing great.  Makes a good all-around tire.  Its been around a long time, and as you might notice,... its on Closeout.  This means they will get harder and harder to find, and we don't know its replacement.

The Yokos I've not used, but they review well.  Most people think of that tire as an SUV tire, so beware of that.  It by nature will be a bit more noisy, but should have higher traction.  It isn't bad in the snow so I heard.

If you want something really, really sticky and high performance, there are better tires.  If you want something that will just be good all around, I hear good things about the Nitto Motivo and its brother the Toyo Proxes 4 Plus (the old one doesn't have "Plus at the end, don't get that one.)  These are all-season, but rated well.

If you want something that will be stickier and more exciting, maybe the Nitto Invo, Nitto NT555, Michelin Pilot SS,
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

20ecoboost10

Love my Michelin PSS, great handling tire
A little noisy though
2010 Flex Limited Ecoboost

SHODYOU

Quote from: Lanson on April 24, 2014, 11:20:29 AM

On the Hankooks, I ran the predecessor to the V12 EVO K110 on my Supra, and this was back in the day.  It is a good tire, but it does nothing great.  Makes a good all-around tire.  Its been around a long time, and as you might notice,... its on Closeout.  This means they will get harder and harder to find, and we don't know its replacement.

We do know its replacement.... the V12 Evo2 K120
Its out now.

I have nothing negative to say about these V12's, they seem to be up to par in most categories... they do seem to flat spot when its very cold out but goes away within a mile. Its a summer tire tho so I cant fault it.
Its a fun tire than rides well and does very well in the rain.

I wish they had a tad more ultimate grip in the turns but imo they do a commendable job of tossing around a 4500lb sedan.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo2
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah