• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Ultra High performance summer?

Started by Josephm, April 22, 2014, 10:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephm

How much can i expect out of these? I am looking at getting a set of summer tires, and i was wondering what i can expect out of these. I am not looking to drive spirited everyday, just more so interested at more traction at the track (1/4 mile)

I like these and notice another use with a SHO used them. Could i expect to be able to launch higher than 2200 RPM's?

Another factor is there half the price of the all season's i want and would just garage my current all seasons in the summer to preserve the life until they ran out and i could get a set of 18's with winter tires.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

BiGMaC

Quote from: Josephm on April 22, 2014, 10:27:14 PM
How much can i expect out of these? I am looking at getting a set of summer tires, and i was wondering what i can expect out of these. I am not looking to drive spirited everyday, just more so interested at more traction at the track (1/4 mile)

I like these and notice another use with a SHO used them. Could i expect to be able to launch higher than 2200 RPM's?

Another factor is there half the price of the all season's i want and would just garage my current all seasons in the summer to preserve the life until they ran out and i could get a set of 18's with winter tires.

Can you justify pure race tires... to use at the strip... on wheels you mount only for that?  Max traction, basically only have to go straight so they could be wider than "driving" tires, should last years since they would only be used at the track.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Josephm

The minimal times i will use them wont justify a low used, high priced setup. At least for now, that is why i am looking into summer tires.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

BiGMaC

Quote from: Josephm on April 22, 2014, 11:18:55 PM
The minimal times i will use them wont justify a low used, high priced setup. At least for now, that is why i am looking into summer tires.

Gottit, understand  and i agree with your logic.

.... one last thought, I think Mike (4DR) has a set of used racing slicks mounted and for sale... They are from his Flex, so i'm not sure about the bolt pattern fitting (but at one point we were gonna try them on my SHO)... If interested you could pm him... only need two!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI

JimiJak

I currently have Bridgestone Potenza SP-04 Pole Positions on my mazda 6s and I love them. I swap out to winter rims and tires in the less fun months.
I've had them on for a month now, and they seem to wear great, and they drive fantastic!
They don't last as long as all seasons, neither do the winter tires, but together they'll come close in lifespan and with phenomenal upgrades to traction and handling. So for me it was worth the extra money to have two sets of better tires.

I have a summer / winter rim-tre setup for the XSport too. Same reasons as above, plus I can save my summer rims from winter abuse.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

Josephm

Ya i messaged him and got a quote but its still more than a set a tires that i will daily.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

BiGMaC

Quote from: Josephm on April 22, 2014, 11:36:19 PM
Ya i messaged him and got a quote but its still more than a set a tires that i will daily.

ouch!

Josephm

Quote from: JimiJak on April 22, 2014, 11:32:19 PM
I currently have Bridgestone Potenza SP-04 Pole Positions on my mazda 6s and I love them. I swap out to winter rims and tires in the less fun months.
I have a summer / winter rim-tre setup for the XSport too. Same reasons as above, plus I can save my summer rims from winter abuse.

What tires are you running on the Xsport for summer? Have you had the ABS shut you down on a launch yet?

No offense to that Mazda but its lacking the down low torque the EB engine produce unless its a Mazdaspeed 6.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

JimiJak

No Mazdaspeed unfortunately. Just the 3.0L v6. It is a manual though, so that helps. Plus it's WAY lighter than the SHO, so I still have my share of traction issues to deal with...just not at the same speeds. Lol

I still have the stockers on the XSport for now. Haven't found a summer setup that's really set me off...plus, next available funds are going towards other upgrades first.
Nope, no ABS on launch yet. But the XSport has more weight behind it than the SHO, so I don't deal with traction problems ...yet.

Josephm

Quote from: JimiJak on April 22, 2014, 11:56:18 PM

Nope, no ABS on launch yet. But the XSport has more weight behind it than the SHO, so I don't deal with traction problems ...yet.

Mines the Flex---Just as fat as yours.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

JimiJak

Oops...LOL Forgot we were talking Flex...not that I didn't believe you...but you got my wheels turning so I thought I would check it out. Found this out -

According to edmunds:
Taurus Limited -   3,969 (FWD FFV) 4,196 (AWD FFV) 4,341 (SHO)
Flex Limited -       4,471 (FWD FFV) 4,643 (AWD FFV) 4,839 (AWD EB)
Explorer Limited - 4,557 (FWD FFV) 4,697 (AWD FFV) 4,859 (Sport)

Strong work! You were right on...only 20 lbs. difference between us...compared to the 500 lbs between you and your lighter counterpart.

FFV = Flex Fuel
FWD = Front Wheel Drive
AWD = All Wheel Drive
EB = EcoBoost (included on SHO and Ex. Sport)
All Flex Fuel's listed above are 3.5L NA V6

Josephm

Witch realistically i think its more like 5,000 with drive and all our stuff.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Lanson

Quote from: Josephm on April 22, 2014, 10:27:14 PM

What actual tire?  UHP Summer is a classification of tire.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

SHODYOU

Yea most wont last as long but depends on actual tire how long you can expect...
Ill prob end up with about 40k on my Hankooks before they get replaced.

Def worth it though, even if I only get 25k. Drives so much better when I play around, hell i want a lot more front end grip as it is.
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

Josephm

Weird. Tirerack.com is saying i don't have permission to access it.
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete