• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Noob Engine Cover Question

Started by SHO-Pa, April 18, 2014, 06:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJP turbo

Take them both off mediately the ford engineers are stupid and had an oversight and don't know what they're doing
SCT Dealer/Custom Calibrator                        
Specializing in 3.5 Ecoboost   
Remote/email custom tuning including E85 blends 
Authorized retailer for all SCT devices. 

Former:2014 PP SHO
3 bar 93 tune, Airaid, Stainless Works non catted DP's  
405whp/520tq
Dyno

Current:2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost
Tuning in progress

ZSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on May 25, 2016, 10:34:56 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on May 25, 2016, 10:31:49 AM
Quote from: sholxgt on May 25, 2016, 10:22:58 AM
Apologies for reviving an old thread.  I figured it's better than making a new one.

Under the engine cover on my MKS I also have a foam block that covers the fuel pressure regulator. Is that also on SHO's?  Can I remove it and leave it off as well?  I was surprised at how hot the fuel lines and regulator are.  Hoping that they stay cooler without the covers.
Ford/Lincoln sometimes put those covers on for a reason,personally would not remove anything fuel related IMHO.  Z

I suspect that the reason is to silence the DI system.  The dealership had the car running outside while I was inside doing paperwork.  I didn't even know it was running until I got in and noticed the air was running.  Granted I am used to much louder cars.
Sholxgt please setup your signature,thanks  Z   :)

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 25, 2016, 11:01:45 AM
Take them both off mediately before the engineers are stupid and had an oversight and don't know what they're doing

LOL. The engineers have different goals than you and I.  As evidenced by your choice to ignore what they felt was the best programming and exhaust choices for the car, you don't fully agree with their choices.

Being a Lincoln, they engineer for owner comfort in all possible ways.

Back to my first question...do SHO's have this foam block?
Current - 2019 F150 Platinum FX4 3.5 EB
Formerly -2013 MKS Ecoboost Premium
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AJP turbo

Not really a good analogy...their programming is great we are just making more power...heat suppression is a constant

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 25, 2016, 11:18:24 AM
Not really a good analogy...their programming is great we are just making more power...heat suppression is a constant

I REALLY disagree that their programming is great.  I have owned Fords since 1988 and almost every one of them actually drove better and increased fuel mileage with aftermarket programming.

Just a small example of a few that I have owned...
2007 Explorer v8 - factory program is a nightmare with the transmission doing random neutral drops. Took 2 years for Ford to develop a program that fixed it
2006 CVPI - delay in gas pedal that is so severe that the throttle becomes hair trigger.  Does nothing and then everything.  Fixed with aftermarket programming.
2003 F250 6.0 - factory programming that allowed EGT's that were so high that it nuked the head gaskets.  Fixed afterwards with aftermarket programming.
PPE Catted DP's, 170 Reische TS, K&N Drop In, AJP Tune only at track - 12.87@106

AJP turbo

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

AJP turbo

You seem like the type where problems just follow you around...the chances of the frequency of the problems you described are pretty impressive...have you ever pondered why other people in  the rest of the country didnt share your experiences..yeah i know all your buddies had the same issues and it was all over the forums too.....if i look on the internet i also find that my town is inhabited with aliens too

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

sholxgt

Quote from: AJP turbo on May 25, 2016, 11:36:14 AM
You seem like the type where problems just follow you around...the chances of the frequency of the problems you described are pretty impressive...have you ever pondered why other the rest of the country didnt share your experiences..yeah i know all your buddies had the same issues and it was all over the forums too.....if i look on the internet i also find that my town is inhabited with aliens too

Quick, look behind you!  There's an alien!

Still wondering if the SHO's have the ultra important "heat shielding foam block" or if it's unique to the MKS?

ZSHO

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

sholxgt

Quote from: ZSHO on May 25, 2016, 11:52:10 AM
img width=400 height=190]http://i.imgur.com/iicuuXF.jpg?1[/img]

Thanks Z!  That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Any problem with that foam block staying in place with the engine cover removed?

ZSHO

Quote from: sholxgt on May 25, 2016, 11:57:20 AM
Quote from: ZSHO on May 25, 2016, 11:52:10 AM
img width=400 height=190]http://i.imgur.com/iicuuXF.jpg?1[/img]

Thanks Z!  That's exactly what I wanted to know.

Any problem with that foam block staying in place with the engine cover removed?
I have seen many members driving with no engine cover on,especially in hot weather & Track without any incidents including myself.  Z

AJP turbo

There wont be any incidents its just less than ideal...you can run with crappy oil...but is that best?

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress

SHOdded

Would not remove that foam block.  It may also suppress vibrations from fuel pulses, and hence squash future rattles.  One way to find out is to remove it and drive around for a while.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

sholxgt

Thanks all for your advice!  I will keep the foam bock in place and only remove the engine cover.

Will keep an eye on everything for a while to make sure there aren't any problems.

AJP turbo

That foam padding under the engine cover is keeping heat in the engine to combat underhood temps....removing it might allow hot engine air to creep iver to your intake box...uh oh lol

And the foam block on the high pressure pump keeps away the underhood heat from heating the fuel and pump itself from the cool fuel that came from outside the engine...

405whp/520tq
Dyno

Tuning in progress