• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Install Help

Started by panther427, April 14, 2014, 02:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panther427

Yes I believe it is a drawer track. I went to  my local habitat for humanity and picked up some scrap metal I  thought might work for my install.
I mounted the can to the inside of the plastic bit that wraps from side to side of the front end. I thought about the weight of a full catch can.  So I wanted to try and support the plastic with a piece of metal on both sides.
2013 SHO

panther427

I'll try and get a drawing of what I have done to mount my catch can in this location.  I will add measurement when I pull the can out to tweak it just as little and swap out the clear plastic line for a rubber hope.  I did a remote drain.  That clear stuff is sucked flat.  Stupid when I had plenty extra rubber hose.

But far as the mount goes I want to get something like a 5 degree bend in it.   

As it sits right now it just clears everything. But I worry that it might not clear Mike's hot pipe. So if I get a small bend to the mount that brings the top of the can out towards passenger fender it should be perfect.

2013 SHO

panther427

removed
2013 SHO

Tuner Boost

Looks correct, but follow the lines to make sure center of can to the valve cover barb, one outer fitting with checkvalve flowing away from the can to the intake manifold vac barb, other outer fitting on can w/checkvalve flowing away from the can to the turbo inlet pipes. 

Verify and let me know.

Thanks!

panther427

actually that video is wrong on how the plumbing is wrong. I switch to the vent on the front valve cover and removed everything and initially installed wrong. i didnt have the center port to the back valve cover. But i do now. But that is my basic plumping....

looking from the front of the car.. Right check valve port goes to pre turbo vac. center goes to PVC valve rear valve cover. left goes to port behind throttle body

Also i thought i had.... I was thinking maybe doing the VTA mod helps remove some of the contaminates from the system?? What do you think.
2013 SHO

Tuner Boost

panther427

Any thought why im not catching anything tracy?
2013 SHO

Tuner Boost

Do you have the cleanside separator going into the air box lid? Pinter Pat was back in last weekend and we examined his, and almost nothing caught either.....found what may have been a hose not tight on the rear valve cover so he is running again.  That is 2 now that have not caught anything yet....but the rest all are. Your description sounds correct as far as routing.  Stay on this and keep in tough w/me so we can trouble shoot.

panther427

Quote from: Tuner Boost on June 28, 2014, 09:21:19 PM
Do you have the cleanside separator going into the air box lid? Pinter Pat was back in last weekend and we examined his, and almost nothing caught either.....found what may have been a hose not tight on the rear valve cover so he is running again.  That is 2 now that have not caught anything yet....but the rest all are. Your description sounds correct as far as routing.  Stay on this and keep in tough w/me so we can trouble shoot.

I do not have the CSS. I was trying to see test out the can itself first. To give plenty of testing options.

ya i have been trouble shooting it a little myself. it has been at least 1000 miles since my last change to the system. That was adding a filter to the front valve cover. there by eleminating the tube from the intake to front valve cover.  And using the hole from the intake tube as my second point of vaccum for the catch can when under boost.
2013 SHO

jkeblaitis

This makes me worried to install mine.. what would the happen if i remove the factory pcv and not catch anything in my can. what harm could come from this ? And how important is it to drain the CAC before installing.. not sure i'm prepared or skilled enough to do that myself
2013 SHO, PP, tuxedo black, Airaid cai, LMS 3bar 93 V8 tune, Corsa black tip exhaust

ShoBoat

Quote from: jkeblaitis on June 29, 2014, 02:41:04 PM
This makes me worried to install mine.. what would the happen if i remove the factory pcv and not catch anything in my can. what harm could come from this ? And how important is it to drain the CAC before installing.. not sure i'm prepared or skilled enough to do that myself

I would check to see if you have anything in there first. Check out my how to. There is also a great vid there to from another member. It's not hard at all. I should be getting mine soon. I hope to add my experiences also with the RX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

panther427

It's not hard.  The hard part is mounting the catch can running the hoses  is easy.

My thoughts on why I haven't got anything in my can are four fold.   One Colorado is a low humidity state. two  I have used only full synthetic oil. Three I think the vta mod actually helps.  They  would normally recirculate air and and fluid in the air back into the system.  And four is I have no clue why else lol.
2013 SHO

JimiJak

Quote from: panther427 on June 29, 2014, 04:15:14 PM
It's not hard.  The hard part is mounting the catch can running the hoses  is easy.

My thoughts on why I haven't got anything in my can are four fold.   One Colorado is a low humidity state. two  I have used only full synthetic oil. Three I think the vta mod actually helps.  They  would normally recirculate air and and fluid in the air back into the system.  And four is I have no clue why else lol.

I still can't believe you're not getting anything at all...if humidity played a role, then accumulation would be worse in the dry winter; but the amount caught is much more in the winter due to increased condensation. I have VTA as well, and have since I installed my OCC...still draining 50cc out every 1K miles give or take. Not sure I follow on the full synthetic oil theory.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

SHOdded

Full synthetic oil is less volatile, less vapors are created, hence less to condense & catch.  That's the theory :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Quote from: panther427 on June 29, 2014, 04:15:14 PM

I noticed in your setup that the clean side is still plumbed into the OEM intake port. Have you tried to mount a breather there instead?

The 5/8 K&N breather fits perfectly on the oem barb. It's tight under the cover but it fits.

This would eliminate any vac on the clean side. This is how I did the install on my buddy's Trailblazer SS and how I will on mine when the RX arrives. (I need the smaller one) just an idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.