• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

GDI engines & catch can use

Started by SwampRat, April 12, 2014, 12:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BiGMaC

Quote from: panther427 on April 13, 2014, 01:28:45 AM
Here you go everyone having sleepless nights over this issue.... BG products...the very company we have talked about,and there wonderful additives and machines have there very own taurus sho. They have been keeping tract of the valves and injectors over 60,000 miles. With excellnt boroscope photos and there take.

http://www.bgprod.com/bgfueltest/

Best evidence I've seen! Thanks Panther.... Food for thought here...not only on the catch can positive effects, but also maybe a change in thinking about synthetic oil.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SwampRat

Excellent find panther427 on GDI problems. directly related to the 3.5 EB .  BG is a known Expert in this area .... proof is in the pudding  The results of the long term 60,000 mile  test on there company owned 2010 SHO is conclusive  evidence .

http://www.bgprod.com/bgfueltest/

Now that we have a fix for the RX system I'm confident that we will have evidence soon as to its effectiveness.
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

FoMoCoSHO

Its evidence of buildup, but not the cause.

Small amounts of seal leakage is inherent in turbos, and it's worse at low boost operation where our engines spend most of their lives.

I'd hate to spend 500 bucks on catch cans and still wind up with buildup at the end of the day.

For my money, I will just do the BG service every 20-30k which will cover me for both scenarios for about the same amount of cash over the anticipated time of ownership.

panther427

Ok people you all are starting to be like politicians with this thing.. I want proof.   no no no no not that.. I want proof on a recent test.... nnooo no no no.. On a ford....NO on  A SHO, a F-150 doesnt count.

Now yes i agree with all that.. So now we have a SHO... so whats next.. well  what causes it.. Tracy has already explaned what causes it... Yes you do get some oil from the turbo seals.

AND I agree these systems are fing expensive when you look at most of the other brands out there.. 400 dollars for the CSS and CC.. THAT IS A TON OF MONEY>..

But if you havent used BG's products they arent cheap either..  30 dollars here and there for BG products over 2 years...... Trust me it adds up.. And i love there stuff i used the crap out of it when i was turning wrenches. The injector cleaning system, trans flush and evything else i used of there worked great.

But it comes down to what you want from your car and how long you plan to keep it...  I just hope this recent fix on painters car solves the problem.
2013 SHO

FoMoCoSHO

Shorter drain intervals and E-85 to answer your edited response.

With 20k on the clock, I just ran 13.47@104.34

I'm just not that concerned about it.

IHeartGroceries

The reason I suggested Pennzoil Platinum with Pure Plus in another thread was mostly in relation to this issue.
This new oil is one of the least volatile on the market (NOACK rating).
Oil plays a huge part in these crankcase vapor issues.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
2013 SHO PP

FoMoCoSHO

Do they make the platinum in 0 weight?

I've considered switching at my next change from Mobil 1.

SwampRat

Quote from: panther427 on April 13, 2014, 12:36:05 PM
Ok people you all are starting to be like politicians with this thing.. I want proof.   no no no no not that.. I want proof on a recent test.... nnooo no no no.. On a ford....NO on  A SHO, a F-150 doesnt count.

Now yes i agree with all that.. So now we have a SHO... so whats next.. well  what causes it.. Tracy has already explaned what causes it... Yes you do get some oil from the turbo seals.

AND I agree these systems are fing expensive when you look at most of the other brands out there.. 400 dollars for the CSS and CC.. THAT IS A TON OF MONEY>..

But if you havent used BG's products they arent cheap either..  30 dollars here and there for BG products over 2 years...... Trust me it adds up.. And i love there stuff i used the crap out of it when i was turning wrenches. The injector cleaning system, trans flush and evything else i used of there worked great.

But it comes down to what you want from your car and how long you plan to keep it...  I just hope this recent fix on painters car solves the problem.

Thank you ... sometimes I feel like I'm beating a dead horse .
I honestly think its now becoming a mater of people not Fully reading these posts by me and others or its a question of comprehension and or cynicism on there part .

It's as clear as day and night to me .

2021 Edge ST

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: panther427 on April 13, 2014, 12:36:05 PM

Damn. I saw your original post and I really don't understand the hostility.

I've read everything presented from both sides of the issue, both have valid arguments  and I'm not saying anyone is wrong on this subject. Like most everything else, somewhere in the middle is probably the answer.

These are the reasons I'm choosing this path and I don't judge those who don't. It's their money and if a different path makes them feel better, that's fantastic, it's their money to spend.

And quite frankly, I'm g-damn tired of reading about catch cans. I'd much rather spend my time driving, racing, modding, and reading about stuff that will allow me to go faster.

If that makes me "narrow minded" I'm OK with that too.

panther427

Thats my point FoMoCo.. we have proof for those who want it.. other than getting install correct.. Im also over this catch can thing.. I wanna read about the carbon fiber intake and new intercoolers and FUN STUFF..

i didnt mean to focus on you.. sorry about that.. that why i deleted it.. the narrow minded part was we got caught up in just the carbon build up and forgot about other potential benifits of a catch can.

So if you want a catch can or not read and make your own choice.

So who wants a beer
2013 SHO

FoMoCoSHO

panther427

2013 SHO

FoMoCoSHO

Epic thread jack....catch cans to bourbon, lol.

SwampRat

2021 Edge ST

mjhpadi

I think for me since I don't put many miles on my car that using the BG products are a plus...I did the fuel cleaning at about 23K miles..and will us BG additive.  Still undecided about the catch can with the low miles, but it's really good to see all the research and hopefully now RX has their system working correct...I am looking forward to more real world experience with it.  Sure do appreciate all the info that is being gathered on catch cans! I am sure that I made the right decision on having the BG service done and whether I get a catch can or not, I will continue to have their service done every 25K.
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350