• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5 Ecoboost Carbon Buildup

Started by jtoddk98, April 10, 2014, 09:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Tooling around the web, found this article.  Most of it is probably old hat to y'all, but here it is anyway:

http://www.searchautoparts.com/motorage/technicians/drivability/causes-carbon-buildup-gdi-engines?page=0,0

Has a checklist of safety items when servicing GDI engines also.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Quick pic inside the intake manifold

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

ShoBoat

That reminds me if the first Alien movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

Looks like splotches of oil on the sides.

Sent using smoke signals.

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

wasinger3000

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

leecox

I've been looking fairly intently into this topic since my MKT is approaching 90k. I've taken a look at my intake ports with a $20 Amazon scope. They have a significant amount of build up. I'm going to clean the intake manifold, throttle body, and intake ports. I've looked at the various options:

Intake Chemical Clean
Manual Clean

Of the two, Manual seems to be the safest for the bottom end/turbos. In looking at the Manual cleaning, the safest/fastest of those looks to be the "BMW" Walnut Blasting service for their Direct Injection engines.

Have a look here for DIY instructions on a $800-1000 service: http://www.bimmerhelp.info/DIY_N54_Valve_Blast.html

With all the part/tool purchases it looks to cost 400-500 if you don't have a compressor, or less if you do. The question is does their vacuum adapter fit our intake ports. I've contacted the guy who created the guide above to get his opinion. Anyone know the intake port dimensions?

Many people say that this engine or that engine are better or worse at having or alleviating deposits. There are too many variables to say for sure. Including the fact that many parts are sourced globally from the same manufactures, and PCV systems are pretty universally badly designed on turbo/DI cars. I think a Catch Can will also be purchased with the tools to clean the upper intake.
Workin on my Lead Sled...

SwampRat

^^^^^^^^^^
leecox  , walnut blasting works well although I don't know of anyone that has done it on the 3.5 EB.

Maybe someone else can give get the measurements for you .....

Welcome to EBPF !

Feel free to introduce yourself in the new Member area as well.

You'll be unique on this Forum , I don't recall any MKT owners here .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

ZSHO

leecox go to the introduction page and setup your profile and welcome aboard and good luck with the ride.

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

FoMoCoSHO

You forgot one option.....meth injection.

BiGMaC

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on September 14, 2014, 01:05:33 PM
You forgot one option.....meth injection.

FoMoCo.... I know meth injection will keep the intake valves clean.... Wil it also clean them if they are coked already at 90K miles?

leecox.... Welcome!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

IHeartGroceries

No. ^

There comes a point when manual cleaning is the only solution.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

ShoBoat

So a question, has anyone approached their dealer to have a manual cleaning? I wonder if they can do it and what the cost will be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

SHOdded

So you watch WD with Mike & Ed, eh?  Here's their procedure for cleaning the intake valves on GDI engines.