• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5 Ecoboost Carbon Buildup

Started by jtoddk98, April 10, 2014, 09:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtoddk98

Let me know the results of the BG service. Even though ford engineers advise against it, I still want to do it. All of the Ford dealers in my area offer BG products. If they offer the service, then they can fix my car when they break it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

Tuner Boost

You don't want any larger particles to come loose and impact the hot side turbine on the turbos....damage will occur.

I also do not like the scouring the smaller particles cause to the cylinder walls and piston skirts when they are forced between the cyl & piston wall along with the solvent.  And make SURE to change oil and filter immediately following an upper induction cleaning as debris and solvent will have entered the crankcase and the oil.

A manual cleaning will get them clean as new though and dosent take long.  The cars seem to have a less efficient CAC so they do not condense as much as the trucks do, but oil enters the intake air charge through 2 different paths. One is backflowing out the fresh/clean side line into the turbo inlet pipe, and the other is direct into the intake manifold from the foul/dirty side valve cover.  If your getting nothing in the CAC then try installing the base RX single valve system as you may only have ingestion through the foul side.

wasinger3000

What's required to do a manual cleaning? Removal of eveything above the valves?

Sent using smoke signals.

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

wasinger3000

Here is a video of a 2013 f150 3.5 eco with 14,000 miles on it. I found the map sensor on the top of the intake was covered in oil. This engine was a lot worse than my car. It has less miles as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbqlUeKg8uM&feature=youtu.be
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

wasinger3000

Larrylu

That's a lot worse than mine at 52K. I don't have meth, or lead foot all the time and I do a lot of suburban commute driving. In upstate NY, my seasonal temps spend a fair amount of time in the cold category, so the only thing that pops into my mind as to why mine might be a lot less carboned up is the fuel. I have exclusively run 93 through my tank as LMS 4+ is my main tune. I also have used synthetic oil since I picked up the car at 18K.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

Tuner Boost

Fuel has zero effect as it no longer touches the valves, but full syn oil DOES result in less buildup than the syn mix the dealer puts in, and yours sound like a good example of this.

wasinger3000

I noticed an improvement after a light seafoam induction. I'm going to do small treatments till the majority of carbon is removed.

I still wonder how ford is ok with letting an engine be installed without finding a proper solution for the carbon. They had the 3.5 in development for year! They had plenty of time to think of something.

Josephm

This has been an issue for years. This isn't a new problem for DI engines. Nobody has really found a solution yet. The 2.3 DI in mazda, they clean the valves manually. Same with BMW
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

Larrylu

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 06, 2014, 04:44:02 PM
I noticed an improvement after a light seafoam induction. I'm going to do small treatments till the majority of carbon is removed.

I still wonder how ford is ok with letting an engine be installed without finding a proper solution for the carbon. They had the 3.5 in development for year! They had plenty of time to think of something.

Well at least Ford seems to have done a much better job minimizing carbon build up than some of the Euro DI cars that lose so much power in 20K miles that they have to have the intake manifold removed and the back of the valves blasted with walnut shells.
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

ShoBoat

You would think they would have figured this out testing the engines before mass producing them. Or by now figured a way to resolve the issue.

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 06, 2014, 05:17:11 PM
You would think they would have figured this out testing the engines before mass producing them. Or by now figured a way to resolve the issue.

They bragged about all the testing and very detailed creation of the ecoboost. Yet failed to create a decent way to reduce carbon build up. They have a team of very talented engineers that should of created a new system. Yet I'm sure there is more to the story.

Just like the intercooler issue on the f150. The easiest fix with the lowest cost they could think of was to just cover half of the intercooler with a $10 piece or plastic.  I can see that as a bandaid for the trucks on the road already but for the 13'-14' they should of created a new intercooler that would be put on during assembly.

wasinger3000

Anyone ever perform this?

http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-gasoline-direct-injection-cleaner/#bg-product-15

I assume the fist stage goes in the gas and the second stage just needs to be atomized into the intake.

glock-coma

A couple of videos before and after BG service.
2010 Taurus SHO before BG intake valve srvc: http://youtu.be/Obg9QmIaCGc
2010 Taurus SHO intake valves after BG intake srvc: http://youtu.be/8fnPAqxNQKo

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+boost
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Thanks for taking these vids, glock!  There certainly seems to be a difference in air flow, hardness of deposit, etc.  Something that is causing the varied results.  From the looks of it, even if the deposits on the tops of the valves have been softened, they may stay there unless another service is performed at a very short interval (500-1000 miles).

Was this the service performed using this product:
http://www.bgfindashop.com/bgservices/fuelair.htm
http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-air-intake-system-cleaner/#bg-product-3

Their GDI product supposedly cleans the intake valves:
http://www.bgprod.com/catalog/gasoline-fuel-system/bg-gasoline-direct-injection-cleaner/#bg-product-15

Does IAT affect these buildups in any way?  Is there an optimum IAT to keep the intake valves clean?  Not so low as to condense the vapors?

Just found a video on YT (may be posted before?):
BG Induction Service (Carbon Deposit Treatment)
BG Induction Service Pt. 2 (Carbon Deposit Treatment)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!