• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5 Ecoboost Carbon Buildup

Started by jtoddk98, April 10, 2014, 09:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasinger3000

I've been running techron quite often but I know bg44 is what I need to get.

Somewhere on a 3.5 teardown I read that these engines inject a miniscule amount of fuel during the exhaust stroke to help wash the valves. I just can't find the page anymore. Not sure if it's true.

Either way the only "fix" right now is a meth kit. 

Sent using smoke signals.

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

SHOdded

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 04, 2014, 09:30:51 AM
I do run lucas UCL. Not sure if it helps or hurts the carbon buildup. But I do get around 2-3 mpg better on the highway.
Impressive gain!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

wasinger3000

Quote from: SHOdded on June 04, 2014, 11:12:35 AM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 04, 2014, 09:30:51 AM
I do run lucas UCL. Not sure if it helps or hurts the carbon buildup. But I do get around 2-3 mpg better on the highway.
Impressive gain!

Yeah it is surprising. Doing 73-74  mph on interstate I get 27 mpg. Anything after 74 and the milage drops off. Coming back from Denver I was getting 29 mpg. Considering it's a gradual decrease in elevation to ks it's expected. I'll post pics of my trip meter next time.

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

ShoBoat

I did the seafoam a while back with no apparent I'll effects. It actually felt like it ran better after I was done. Just use it slowly like I did over about 15-20 min. I used about 1/2 can. I plan on doing another soon. I will do a before and after on the valves. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

panther427

You values looked fairly carbon free.  But they seemed wet . So oil is getting to them.  I wonder if changes where made to system for the 13 refresh?? ?
2013 SHO

wasinger3000

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 04, 2014, 11:28:00 AM
I did the seafoam a while back with no apparent I'll effects. It actually felt like it ran better after I was done. Just use it slowly like I did over about 15-20 min. I used about 1/2 can. I plan on doing another soon. I will do a before and after on the valves. 

Have you tried using the deep creep stuff by seafoam? It's supposed to really break carbon down. What I did was take the map sensor out and sprayed into each venture of the manifold in hopes to cover each valve.

wasinger3000

Quote from: panther427 on June 04, 2014, 12:04:37 PM
You values looked fairly carbon free.  But they seemed wet . So oil is getting to them.  I wonder if changes where made to system for the 13 refresh?? ?

The second video was after I sprayed seafoam on the valves so it looked glossy. But they still had a liquid oil sludge on them so they are getting contaminated somehow.

I wish I could put the camera down the manifold while it's running to see if there is some kind of blow back into the manifold.

Also I wonder if it's possible to atomize seafoam so it can be sprayed into the manifold like a fog.

I'll try to make something tonight using compressed air and some kind of nozzle.

ShoBoat

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 04, 2014, 12:14:50 PM

Have you tried using the deep creep stuff by seafoam? It's supposed to really break carbon down. What I did was take the map sensor out and sprayed into each venture of the manifold in hopes to cover each valve.

This is what I used,

It comes with a tube that is slid under the intake tube just before the tb. And this allows you to slowly add the seafoam to the intake track. Almost the same point of entry for the meth kits I have seen. 

2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

Quote from: ShoBoat on June 04, 2014, 12:27:09 PM

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 04, 2014, 12:14:50 PM

This is what I used,

It comes with a tube that is slid under the intake tube just before the tb. And this allows you to slowly add the seafoam to the intake track. Almost the same point of entry for the meth kits I have seen. 

I forgot they made that straw. I'll have to find one.

Here's what I'm using.

MDesign Performance

As a suggestion for a kit, I wouldn't try this at the normal price of $49.99 but it is on sale for $24.99 with a $10 rebate. Makes a nice filler for a Amazon order, cheap enough to keep a couple on hand.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08963-Fuel-System-Tune-Up/dp/B003YJ47JO
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

SHOdded

This kit was just on Woot for $13.99, hopefully will be again.  Keep an eye out 4 it.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Yeah was going to post the thread. But it looks like it's sold out.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

glock-coma

I just made an appointment for the bg intake service for Friday.  I'll post some pics of the valves after.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

wasinger3000

I'm having my cousin enable the awd gauge this week. When. I'm at the dealership I'll ask him about the carbon build up on the 3.5 and what he does and or is told to do about it.

What the tsb says and what the mechanics do differs sometimes.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: SHOdded on June 04, 2014, 03:24:10 PM
This kit was just on Woot for $13.99, hopefully will be again.  Keep an eye out 4 it.

With the $10 mail-in rebate it gets it down to $14.99, It seems like a clearance out on the kit due to a updated product package.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance