• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3.5 Ecoboost Carbon Buildup

Started by jtoddk98, April 10, 2014, 09:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kinder

Might as well run some Seafoam through things once in a while?
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator

JimiJak

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 23, 2014, 02:57:43 PM
Quote from: JimiJak on May 23, 2014, 12:40:58 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on May 23, 2014, 10:57:20 AM
They run pig rich at wot. That's another advantage of blending e-85, tips stay clean and shiny. I wonder what effect it has, if any, on carbon buildup in the valves. Sounds like its time to have a tech break out the boroscope.

True...but even when the girlfriend putts around town, three days and they're filthy. More to it?
When the cats away the mice will play?

Hahaha, that's not it... She's a mpg nut. Lol

Quote from: kinder on May 23, 2014, 05:19:23 PM
Might as well run some Seafoam through things once in a while?

Man, I hope not. Just rolled 3,000 miles on the truck. It's been doing it since day one... Sounds like most have this problem.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

SHODYOU

Mine weren't too bad till I took the cats off... now I have to polish the tips every few days
2011 SHO - Tux Blk/blk int, 402B, acc, nav, multicontour, 20s. LMS 4X MyCal, 3bar MAP, K&N Typhoon, 170* t-stat, SP534's @ 30, Stainless Works catless DPs, Corsa catback, H&R sports, 5/16 front-7/16 rear spacer, 255/35 Hankook V12s, Lamin-X/PlastiDip

2004 Mustang GT - Comp Orange, Boss block/3.80 stroker 327", Foxlake TFS', Hellion turbo, blah blah

SwampRat

Quote from: SHODYOU on May 24, 2014, 12:46:18 AM
Mine weren't too bad till I took the cats off... now I have to polish the tips every few days

One of the side benifits of having BLACK powder coated tips  .... you don't really notice it .    ;)
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

glock-coma

I got a borescope from work yesterday and checked out my valves and intercooler for oil
Not sure which valves these are the camera was pretty hard to control through the throttle body.
It was pretty dirty. 33,000 miles.
I have video also of the intercooler but it was recorded in Avi format so it's giving my trouble uploading to you tube.

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Nice pics, looking fwd to the video.  Was it a professional borescope that you used?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

glock-coma

Yeah. It's used for fire sprinkler pipe internal inspections.
I had to take a screenshot when the video was playing.
I just posted the link for intercooler draining in shoboats original how to post.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

MeanKS

thanks for the pics!

this carbon buildup thing is having me a little worried, especially after that video saying Ford itself is baffled and really doesn't know what to do or recommend.

what are you going to do about it?  please post after pics if you do some kind of treatment...
MKS-EB...

Josephm

BG already did a write up on a Sho they owned with pictures from theres valves.Its a good read and shows there product seem to keep it under control
12' Flex EB
Unleashed X4
3rd Cat delete

wasinger3000

Ok, here a two videos of my intake valves. View 1 is of the cylinder closest to the driver. Second view2 is the cylinder closest to the PCV inlet on the manifold. ( one that would get all off the extra oil blow off). You can see that the valve is open.

2013 SHO, 18k miles. No catch can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8BeEW_2AAI&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViHLwWIN5J0&feature=youtu.be
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

ShoBoat

Cool vids, you can see the buildup. Interesting that you have nothing in the CAC but still have it on the valves. Is yours a 13 or 14?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

wasinger3000

It's a 13. I'd say the build up comes from the cylinder itself somehow. Because my intake tracts are all bone dry. No traces of oil at all. So I have no idea how it's building up except for coming back threw the intake port. If it was from the intake side you would see little trails of oil in the manifold. But there isn't a trace at all.

I do run lucas UCL. Not sure if it helps or hurts the carbon buildup. But I do get around 2-3 mpg better on the highway.

Sent using smoke signals.

13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.

MDesign Performance

Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 04, 2014, 09:30:51 AM
It's a 13. I'd say the build up comes from the cylinder itself somehow. Because my intake tracts are all bone dry. No traces of oil at all. So I have no idea how it's building up except for coming back threw the intake port. If it was from the intake side you would see little trails of oil in the manifold. But there isn't a trace at all.

I do run lucas UCL. Not sure if it helps or hurts the carbon buildup. But I do get around 2-3 mpg better on the highway.

Carbon build up is not directly correlated to oil being in the intercooler, the latter is just a symptom that usually is there when there is excessive buildup though is not always certain. With our direct injected fuel system the gasoline is sprayed directly onto of the piston whereas a regular fuel injection system sprays the gasoline through the intake valve openings which cleans the valves basically every time the car is running.

Only real way to solve this issue is to do intake valve/fuel system cleaning intervals, to use quality and higher octane fuel, and/or methanol injection which will clean the valves every time it is activated.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance

wasinger3000

Quote from: Spartn27 on June 04, 2014, 10:02:50 AM
Quote from: wasinger3000 on June 04, 2014, 09:30:51 AM

Carbon build up is not directly correlated to oil being in the intercooler, the latter is just a symptom that usually is there when there is excessive buildup though is not always certain. With our direct injected fuel system the gasoline is sprayed directly onto of the piston whereas a regular fuel injection system sprays the gasoline through the intake valve openings which cleans the valves basically every time the car is running.

Only real way to solve this issue is to do intake valve/fuel system cleaning intervals, to use quality and higher octane fuel, and/or methanol injection which will clean the valves every time it is activated.

I'd like to spray some "deep creep" (made by sea foam) on the valves. Just afraid it will all come flying off at once.

MDesign Performance

I would run some high quality fuel injector cleaner such as BG44, Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner or Marvel Mystery Oil along with some high quality fuel to clean some of the crud before getting the majority of it out with something more potent.
2011 MKS EcoBoost: MDesign Carbon Cold Air Intake; SP-534 Plugs; Power Stop C/S Rotors

sales@mdesignperformance.com
www.mdesignperformance.com
www.facebook.com/MDesignPerformance