• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lanson's 2013 Flex - Extreme SQ audio (re)build

Started by Lanson, April 10, 2014, 01:49:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanson

Hi folks,

As some of you know, I enjoy building audio systems.

I've just started a new project on my own Flex, which already has a pretty good system in it (see thread http://www.fordflex.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=10361 )

Now this has been a pretty good setup, it is time to push the limits of what this platform can do.

Current system:

Stock Non-Sony head unit
JBL MS8 processor-amp
Vibe Slick Stereo 4 main 4ch amp
Vibe Slick Bass 1 sub amp
Center - JBL GTO 329 3.5" coaxial
Front speakers - JBL Power 6x8 coaxials (with tweeter defeated)
Pillar tweeters - stock location, Bravox silk tweeters from their Carbon Fiber component set
Rear speakers - stock
Subwoofers - Exile Audio Xtec 10 shallow subs in spare tire well enclosure
Deadening/sealing by GTMat

The new system will comprise of a much more robust front stage, with a full 3-way set per side.  As of right now, I'm set on using Dayton RS 225-4 8" midbass for the doors, RS75-4 3" midrange in the pillars along with Dayton ND20FB 3/4" neo tweeters to match them.  This means the pillars will be custom-built with fiberglass and stuff, which will be fun.  If you've followed me at all in my other threads about audio, you'll know I hate fiberglass, bondo, etc.  Unfortunately, there's no better way to stuff a pillar with more than it came with.  The center channel will be a Dayton RS125-4, significantly bigger than stock.  It will be paired with another ND20FB tweeter so the front stage is timbre-matched as best I can get. 

So, pics will be coming as I build the system, and I'll try to document the process to make it easier for the next guy who's interested in doing similar things.

Take care and I'll update this as I go.
I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

glock-coma

Sounds great" (pun intended) can't wait to see the results.
I always enjoy reading your build threads.
2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

SHOdded

Maybe you can "steal" geswek's gauge pod and put it to your own uses ;)  Looking forward to this audio update!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Here's some pics of the first stage, the pillars.

First I drew a stencil to make sure I've got a good size for the pillars.  I tried to make the design as compact as possible.

This is the completed basic shape.  I made this by using 1/2" MDF, jigsawed outer shape (carefully!) and routed inner circles.  The outside of this shape is covered in 13/16" Melamine laminate, which I wrapped around using an iron to activate the adhesive.  Two layers are used. 

This is the moment of truth.  The pillars are taken out, and cut up to fit the pod shape.  The goal here was to be as non-intrusive as possible, while still fitting these speakers in here perfectly.  This was TOUGH.

This next part is where the extent of my skills come to a screeching halt.  I glued the forms together after test-fitting in the car and then slathered the shape with Bondo Gold.  If this step didn't have to happen, I would be a much happier man.  I overdid it and now i've got serious work to do to get these right.  I'll be sanding for days.  I will win though.

This part was done with kitty-hair short strand reinforced bondo.  I'm OK with this part.

I don't have an EB but I am an avid modder and happy to help the community and learn/grow.  Pretty good with audio and wheels, my build and discussion threads are here in the forum.  2013 Flex AWD N/A

Audio:  Dayton Reference home speakers in front stage, incl. 2-way passive custom pillars 2.5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 2-way passive custom center channel 5" mid, 3/4" tweet, 8" midbass in doors, Vibe UK amps, JBL MS8 processor, Optima Yellow-top custom-wired, Exile subs in spare tire well

Mods: H&R, K&N, 22x9 & 22x10 3 piece forged wheels 265/35-22 Toyos, SCTX4 w/ 91 oct. Torrie tune

Lanson

Quote from: SHOdded on April 10, 2014, 03:19:45 PM
Maybe you can "steal" geswek's gauge pod and put it to your own uses ;)  Looking forward to this audio update!

I think our pillars vary too much, but it would be good for small tweeters!

SHOdded

Mad skillz with the pillars, Lanson!  First time using Bondo?  I bet next time comes out perfect!
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Lanson

Quote from: SHOdded on April 10, 2014, 06:05:13 PM
Mad skillz with the pillars, Lanson!  First time using Bondo?  I bet next time comes out perfect!

Nah I have used it tons of time, though actually usually Rage Gold which I could not find in time to make this work.  I'm used to Rage's more forgiving nature, and while I do hate this process regardless of what I use, Rage makes things less...sucky.

However, I have GREAT news.  Observe!

This is after a first pass with aggressive bits, and low grit paper on my sander.   

I went easy on the filler this time around, and used a tiny spreader.  I mixed light on the catalyst and when it was still "green" and uncured, I gently sanded as it hardened.

Now we're talking!  It is pretty much equal from side to side, a major concern I had from the beginning.  I then hit them with high-build primer. 

All that is left is a bit of final sanding with high grit paper by hand, and then I'll wrap the pillars in material.  I am VERY pleased with the turnout so far, and so very happy I was able to pull out of the Bondo-hell that I put myself in. 

Lanson

So, I got home this afternoon and got right to work.  The UPS also delivered a Parts Express box with all my speakers, what great timing!

Here they are, test-fit into position.  Also I've cleaned up the pillars a bit more.

Sorry I didn't take pics in the middle of doing the vinyl wrapping, but my hands were busy and sticky with adhesive most of the time.  That said, they turned out fantastic!

Left side done first

This is through the windshield, so you can see the fit.  I actually improved the factory's fit and finish with these pillars, because my gaps are nil vs. the stock ones.

Right side done next

This was hours later so I had to head to bed, but I did almost get one pillar completely done except for the grille which will come later

I'm very, very happy with the outcome so far.  I ran into a bit of a problem where the primer came off the pillar in places, while I was spraying the adhesive.  I'd lay the vinyl down on the pillar and get ready to reposition and stretch it, and the backside of the vinyl was covered in the pillar's primer!  That scared me, and for some reason the primer did not properly adhere to the pillar in some areas.  In the end, I simply pulled the vinyl back off, cut another piece and re-sprayed both, then applied.  The primer missing did not seem to affect the look of the pillars.  I have some lumps (very minor), and those should go away when the sun bakes them after they are installed a while.  Speaking of sun baking, I used a special high-temp vinyl adhesive spray I got from my upholstery shop I go to.  A little expensive but wow, what a great product (so far.) 

Tomorrow, I'll get these finished and wired up for sound!

Lanson

I just finished both sides, wired them up, and calibrated the MS8 for them.  I chose a cross point of 450hz @ 24dB/oct slope, and in the wiring to the tweeter there is an additional 5,000hz passive crossover @ 12dB/oct slope.  End result, midrange plays 450-20,000 and tweeter plays 5,000 to 20,000 (roughly.)  Because they are so close together, they play as one and it sounds fantastic, even without a crossover to stop the mids from playing up.  They beam as expected but the tweeter takes over, so acoustically it is a sweet combo.

Here's some finishing pics

Fit is actually better than stock in some ways

BiGMaC

Freakin' Awesome Lanson!  :clap2:  Beautiful work!

How will you manage the "grille" or speaker cloth to avoid  a lens effect on the tweets?

Are you still using larger mids in the doors?

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

bigmoneycloser

I can't see any if the pics and it's killing me???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2014 Explorer Sport 401A
22x10.5 Vossen CVT- powder coated Matte Graphite
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico 285/35/22
H & R lowering springs/LMS 93 high boost/AirAid CAI/170* thermostat/3 Bar Map Sensor/Full LED interior /HID head and fog lights/weather tech digital floor mats/SharkFin antena/custom Billet foot pedals/Wilwood big brake kit/ LMS-Corsa CatBack Exhaust/LMS Catted Downpipes

glock-coma

Great job Lanson, looks fantastic as usual.  Looking forward to the sound results.

2010 RCM non PP
K&N panel filter
sp534 @ 30
unleashed 93 performance+firm shift+boost
more to come.....

2010 red candy metallic non PP 402B
AJPTURBO 2 BAR Tune Stock 14.1@100.3 / Tuned 12.83@107.7
K&N panel, RX OCC, Sp-534 @.30 Tint 50%F-35%R BOV bypass
1997 SHO silver frost (sold)
1990 SHO triple black 5-speed (saved my life)

Lanson

Quote from: BiGMaC on April 12, 2014, 07:17:04 PM

How will you manage the "grille or cloth to avoid  a lens effect on the tweets?

I have acoustically transparent grille cloth, so I'll make an inner shape out of 1/4" (probably rout the edges for a cool curved look) and then cover it with the cloth.  Remember an important trait of 3/4" tweeters over something perhaps a bit larger...they are just small enough that they do not beam, even at the highest audible frequencies.  So, there should be no lensing or any ill effect as long as the grille cloth and the frame that it is attached to doesn't acoustically mess with the signature.

The factory panel was screwing up the sound quality of the tweeters I had in there, because of the plastic grille holes and shape.  I'm happy to be rid of that now!

Oh, and to answer your question on the mid, there will be a significant upgrade on those soon.  I'll be cutting the door dramatically (but it will still look really cool, trust me!)

Lanson

Quote from: bigmoneycloser on April 12, 2014, 07:43:13 PM
I can't see any if the pics and it's killing me???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use Shutterfly for hosting, maybe it is being blocked on your setup somehow? 

Try a diff browser and let me know, I can also pump some images directly to you if you like.

BiGMaC

Quote from: Lanson on April 12, 2014, 08:46:53 PM
Quote from: BiGMaC on April 12, 2014, 07:17:04 PM

How will you manage the "grille or cloth to avoid  a lens effect on the tweets?

I have acoustically transparent grille cloth, so I'll make an inner shape out of 1/4" (probably rout the edges for a cool curved look) and then cover it with the cloth.  Remember an important trait of 3/4" tweeters over something perhaps a bit larger...they are just small enough that they do not beam, even at the highest audible frequencies.  So, there should be no lensing or any ill effect as long as the grille cloth and the frame that it is attached to doesn't acoustically mess with the signature.

The factory panel was screwing up the sound quality of the tweeters I had in there, because of the plastic grille holes and shape.  I'm happy to be rid of that now!

Oh, and to answer your question on the mid, there will be a significant upgrade on those soon.  I'll be cutting the door dramatically (but it will still look really cool, trust me!)

Thanks... the significance of the upgrade is even more important with the lensing info!

Can hardly wait to see how you manage the door speakers and time delay to blend with the A pillar set. When it's all done you should have a denser sound field also with better stereo imaging for sure!

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock