• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Definitive EcoBoost Exhaust Sound Thread

Started by thatsmrgimp2u, March 29, 2014, 05:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

Definitely better off using a tuned resonator when going muffler-less.  The 3.5 is not a cool-sounding engine.  PPE + Corsa should work fine though.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Primalzer

Quote from: SHOdded on October 18, 2017, 03:37:16 PM
Definitely better off using a tuned resonator when going muffler-less.  The 3.5 is not a cool-sounding engine.  PPE + Corsa should work fine though.

My single biggest gripe about this platform...I have yet to hear a "good" (obviously it's subjective) exhaust. Stock, my Flex has a nice throaty growl from the driver's seat. My dad's stock '16 F-150 has that awful tinny/rattly V6 noise.

Now I think you are absolutely right about the resonator. After years and years of exhausts and research, I think the single biggest mistake people make is with resonators. As much as most people will deny it, Ford engineers are really good at their job, and that resonator is there for a reason. And that reason is to even out the exhaust note and prevent drone, probably the two biggest complaints when people start messing with the exhaust.

Reminds me of another forum I was on; some kid decided he wanted a little more noise out of his ex-cop '16ish DoD Caprice. He said all was fine, until the car went into econ-mode (4 cylinder) and the drone was unbearable. He said he left everything stock (INCLUDING THE MUFFLERS) but ditched the huge resonator. Well, that resonator was big for a reason...it not only was working to combat the resonant frequency of the 8 cylinder mode, but ALSO the 4 cylinder mode, keep NVH down during all modes of driving.

I don't understand why turbos on these cars change the exhaust tone/type SO much. The Duratec, which the EcoBoost's are loosely based on, had really pretty nice exhaust notes if done right. My SVT Contour sounded REALLY good...I think it's going to take someone with a lot more knowledge about flow dynamics and resonance than me, to solve the EcoBoost exhaust high performance exhaust epidemic.
2011 Ford Flex Limited EcoBoost
-2013+ PP SHO front brake conversion

gtmorgan23

they sound pretty darn good with a Corsa exhaust IMO.  I just have a hard time paying 1500 bucks for some pipe and mufflers. but someday after DPs ill probably do it.
2019 Edge ST "Phasma"
JLT Catch Can

Primalzer

Quote from: gtmorgan23 on October 18, 2017, 05:00:16 PM
they sound pretty darn good with a Corsa exhaust IMO.  I just have a hard time paying 1500 bucks for some pipe and mufflers. but someday after DPs ill probably do it.

Just muffler deletes, IMO, sound just about as "good" as the Corsa. And it's free.99

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8v5Sw_lTX8

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Primalzer

Just from a purely exterior sound.

Was just reading another thread in this forum and some people don't have drone issues (doubt the drone isn't there) and some people that call it head rattling. Back to my original post, resonator is the way to go. Apparently the stock mufflers also aid in some of the resonance cancellation, and removing them is bad news for your sanity. Hence my original thoughts of someone building a resonator on an open exhaust (Helmholtz resonator)....and just looking up Helmholtz resonator SHO...and found this gem...honestly, the best sounding 3.5EB exhaust I've ever heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49v_pNju2T4

Primalzer

BoostfoSHO

BoostfoSHO OBX catless downpipes and 3rd cat and resonator delete with electric cutouts.

https://youtu.be/JySTBbD416Y

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

AJPTurbo FTW
2015 SHO PP
Air raid intake, 3bar, OBX catless downpipes, 160tstat 2. Electric exhaust cutouts, MSD ignition coil, hot pipes with Tial BOV, AJP Turbo wastegate regulator mod.
For now...
Pending install. Snow stage

jbeez

Anyone have a clip of PPE catted downpipes with muffler delete and/or resonator delete? just pipes after the catted downpipes?
2014 PP SHO Darkside Metallic
K&N Panel filter, 3bar map, AJPTurbo tune, Motorcraft SP542 @.28, MSD Coils, PPE Catted downpipes, EBP Hot pipes w/ tial BOV, Tracy Lewis catch can, 170 tstat, 93 octane pump gas

SHOdded

djxfactor's 2014 Flex:

http://youtu.be/dimPfPQjcCY

Magnaflow catback with XPipe

2014 Ford Flex Limited 3.5L AWD EcoBoost - SCT X4 Tuner w/ Unleashed & AJP, Dash Tablet running Torque Pro Gauges w/ BT Wireless OBD Adapter, 170 T-stat, 3-Bar MAP, Denso Colder Plugs, Magnaflow 2.5" Cat-back, Magnaflow X-Pipe, MDesign Carbon Intake, EPP Hotpipes w/Tial BOV, UPR 3-way Catch Can System, Devil's Own Stage-2 3Bar Methanol Injection System with custom Tank/Pump mount, Power Stop Z23 Brake upgrade w/Carbon Fiber-infused Ceramic Pads, Moog Endlinks (stiffer/stronger), dropped 2 inches on H&R Springs, Kicker CompRT 12" Sub, Custom Spare Tire Sub Box, Polk Audio C500.1 Mono Amp, Full LED Interior bulb swap, Tinted LED Tails, Windows Tinted all around.

jbrown9999

Went through this whole damned thing.  Trying to find Catted PPE DP with the Magnaflow cat back.  Does that sound clip exist?
2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

ZSHO

Quote from: jbrown9999 on February 15, 2018, 08:57:37 PM
Went through this whole damned thing.  Trying to find Catted PPE DP with the Magnaflow cat back.  Does that sound clip exist?
Courtesy of Polski!  Z
http://www.ecoboostperformanceforum.com/index.php/topic,5272.0.html

! No longer available

! No longer available

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|

jbrown9999

2016 Ford SHO w/ PP w/ SCT X4 w/ Gearhead tune,
MDesign CAI, non-noise maker pipe
Gapped/colder plugs, Thermostat w/ Water Wetter
MSD COPS, aFe Silver Bullet intake spacer
UPR catch can, BOV to atmosphere mod

SHOdded

StinkinLinkin13

Livernois Catless downpipes with Totalflow mufflers - AJP E40/Meth tune - Firestorm HPFP - DW 300 LPFP - Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump - 3 Bar Map - Alky Controls Meth Injection - 160° Thermostat - EPP Hot Pipes - AEM Dryflow Filter - BOV VTA - SSM Polyurethane Torque Struts - H&R Sport Springs - 20"x10" Niche Veronas on 275/40-20 DWS06 -