• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

3 stage fuel system cleaning?

Started by MeanKS, March 29, 2014, 12:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHOdded

QuoteCrash712us

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fuel system cleaning

12-26-2011, 11:54 AM

I know it has been discussed before at that other place. But I cleaned mine today with 3m's fuel system cleaning kit. Since I do not have a scope to show a before or after result this will be merely a review of the process. With that said its a very simple process and went off with nearly no hiccups. It did generate a check engine light, when scanned it found fault in a overly rich mixture on both O2 sensors. I wasn't alarmed by this as I would think this would be normal for running the engine and spraying solvent in to the intake. Also it does cause the exhaust to smoke so best to do outside the garage. Tip: with our electric throttle if put car into accessory mode you can open and close throttle without running the engine when cleaning throttle body. I performed at 17k and plan to do every 15k and for $30 some dollar and change at autozone.

http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/...9_66767582.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX5J5kZLTw4

Quoteglock-coma

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

03-13-2013, 11:43 PM

I posted this in the BG fuel cleaning thread, thought it might be useful here.

Amazon has a deal right now with free shipping for the fuel system treatment.

$37.07 + save $10 when you clip the coupon from under the picture.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-08963-Fuel-.../dp/B003YJ47JO
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

ShoBoat

Thought I would wake up this old topic. I called around to find out if any of the Ford dealers did BG fuel/intake service in my area. The closest is a decent drive from my home. What is interesting that most of the ones listed on the BG site have dropped the product line. They wouldn't say why, I did find this dealer and he would do the service. I asked if there was any danger with mine being an EB. He said he was unaware of any issues with BG and turbos. However he instead recommended this instead. http://www.speclube.com/products.html. His comment that it was made for turbo charged DI engines and that it even cleaned the turbos. (i am guessing he meant the blades) Any thoughts?
2012 Pearl White CTS-V Stock
2016 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB Stock
2013 SHO Black on Black (Gone) PP, Unleashed Custom Tune, 170 TStat, SP534 Plugs, 3 Bar, Airaid Intake, PPE catted downpipes, Corsa Cat-back, H&R Springs. Focal 165KR Front Stage,2 JL W6 10 with Focal 800.1. 12.62 @ 110 mph.

SHOdded

Wouldn't know about this system, but Motul products are highly regarded though.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

anthonylee337

Quote from: MeanKS on March 29, 2014, 02:44:42 PM
Quote from: Spartn27 on March 29, 2014, 01:49:05 PM
Quote from: DRII on March 29, 2014, 12:17:22 PMmy MPG has been around 17, i do drive aggressively but thought i would be getting better mileage than that; so maybe there is some carbon build up somewhere.

I was in the same boat as you, got the car beginning of this year and was getting 17 MPG. Heres a couple things you should try first:

1. Know what you're putting in your tank, some brands/stations have more ethanol than others which will affect how the power/MPG of the car. Stick to top tier gas, I find Sunoco 93 to run great and will fill up with Exxon or Shell 93 as a second choice.
2. Go to your local Walmart/Meijer/etc. and purchase a bottle of Chevron 65740 Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner and Marvel Mystery Oil

After the first full tank of Techron I went from 17 to 19 MPG. Then I use 4-6 oz of Marvel Mystery oil with every fill up (have went through one bottle/4 fill ups so far) and am now at 20.4 MPG. Mind you this is with well spirited driving, mix of city and highway.

If you aren't the first owner you don't know what kind of gas has been put in your vehicle, and with all this ethanol diluting our gas it helps to give the system a cleaning.

Best part is it cost less than $15 and is as simple as pouring it in your gas tank before a fill up. :thumb:

thanks, i'll give that a try...
Wow 20mpg? My car with only 100 miles got around 18 at best and that was driving it like an old man! I never heard of someone getting over 20mpg-According to ford most SHO's will average 17. I will say I do get around 29 on the highway though
2013 SHO tuxedo black ppkg LMS stage 4 K+N

vernonator

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 29, 2014, 02:18:54 PM
Quote from: SHOdded on March 29, 2014, 01:56:02 PM
Be sure to use the Techron Concentrate Plus 20oz 1 bottle, or 2 bottles of the Chevron Pro-Gard cleaner per fuel tank.

So I fill up at Chevron anyway (although stuck with 91 octane, and E10 on that from December through March). I'm consistently running about 20 mpg with my right foot all the way down when ever I can safely... Do I understand correctly that you guys think there's any benefit to adding more "Techron"?

I get most concerned about the valves in this DI engine... no fuel spray to clean them.

I get around 21mpg in my '12 PP sho running the Livernois 4+ 93 octane tune with Catless downpipes. I run the only 93 I can find from the local MurphyUSA. Not sure that your Chevron is really all the different in the end. Now I did have the BG fuel system cleaning done last oil change as my mileage had dipped to 19ish, my dealer IS a BG provider. I think that is a better spend of your money than tank additives. Just my opinion though
2012 Tuxedo Black SHO w/PP. Livernois Stage 4+, PPE Catless DP's, EBC Stage 4 Front/Rear Brakes
2015 Tuxedo Black Explorer Sport 401A, no mods....YET :)

FoMoCoSHO

I just dont trust these fuel treatments. It's one thing if it comes off as tiny combustible particles but there is no way to know that bigger chunks aren't coming off.

BiGMaC

...I have always used Chevron premium gas FWIW... I have the same concerns expressed by FoMoCo.... It's why I plan to go with meth injection soon... that will keep the intake valves clean.... there's still the turbos and EGR/PCV gas recirc though... why i went VTA, to eliminate at least some of it.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

So we have: 

methanol injection (proven),
catch can system (variable results),
manual valve cleaning (walnut shell blasting, or soaking/removing, etc),
use of low volatility full synthetic oil,
periodic cleaning of the CAC, and
a minor increase in the fuel's E content

in our DI arsenal. 

In addition to running an FI cleaner through the tank periodically or a fuel system treatment, of course.  But that applies to pretty much any fuel system, MFI, PFI, DI whathaveyou.

wasinger3000

Quote from: anthonylee337 on April 06, 2015, 07:02:36 PM
Quote from: DRII on March 29, 2014, 12:17:22 PMmy MPG has been around 17, i do drive aggressively but thought i would be getting better mileage than that; so maybe there is some carbon build up somewhere.

I was in the same boat as you, got the car beginning of this year and was getting 17 MPG. Heres a couple things you should try first:

1. Know what you're putting in your tank, some brands/stations have more ethanol than others which will affect how the power/MPG of the car. Stick to top tier gas, I find Sunoco 93 to run great and will fill up with Exxon or Shell 93 as a second choice.
2. Go to your local Walmart/Meijer/etc. and purchase a bottle of Chevron 65740 Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner and Marvel Mystery Oil

After the first full tank of Techron I went from 17 to 19 MPG. Then I use 4-6 oz of Marvel Mystery oil with every fill up (have went through one bottle/4 fill ups so far) and am now at 20.4 MPG. Mind you this is with well spirited driving, mix of city and highway.

If you aren't the first owner you don't know what kind of gas has been put in your vehicle, and with all this ethanol diluting our gas it helps to give the system a cleaning.

Best part is it cost less than $15 and is as simple as pouring it in your gas tank before a fill up. :thumb:

Wow 20mpg? My car with only 100 miles got around 18 at best and that was driving it like an old man! I never heard of someone getting over 20mpg-According to ford most SHO's will average 17. I will say I do get around 29 on the highway though
I get 26 at 70 mph. Around 23 at 80.
13' SHO, Non-PP, Tuned by Torrie, Meth injection, 3 bar, 170* stat, custom axle back exhaust, Prosport Boost gauge.
15' F150 Lariat Sport, all the options, 3.5L Eco. (fiancée ride.)
13' GTCS, will be missed.

BiGMaC

Quote from: wasinger3000 on April 07, 2015, 11:30:22 AM
Quote from: anthonylee337 on April 06, 2015, 07:02:36 PM

I get 26 at 70 mph. Around 23 at 80.
Similar to Wass... I get about 20 on 95% surface streets daily (with AC on...PHX!), and about 27 on the interstate if I cruise 90 or below.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on April 07, 2015, 10:59:00 AM
So we have: 

methanol injection (proven),
catch can system (variable results),
manual valve cleaning (walnut shell blasting, or soaking/removing, etc),
use of low volatility full synthetic oil,
periodic cleaning of the CAC, and
a minor increase in the fuel's E content

in our DI arsenal. 

In addition to running an FI cleaner through the tank periodically or a fuel system treatment, of course.  But that applies to pretty much any fuel system, MFI, PFI, DI whathaveyou.
Don't forget a little meth in the tank.... ;)

SHOdded

Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 07, 2015, 05:21:28 PM
Waiting on wasinger's proof-of-concept to add that :)

FoMoCoSHO

Quote from: SHOdded on April 07, 2015, 05:28:35 PM
Quote from: FoMoCoSHO on April 07, 2015, 05:21:28 PM
Waiting on wasinger's proof-of-concept to add that :)
As usual, he is late to the party.....

jtoddk98

I just tried this fuel additive called Archoil. It's normally used in the powerstroke 6.0 diesel along with the oil additive to get rid of injector stiction. I got 26mpg doing an average speed of 85 with a couple passing blasts. 130 mile trip. Engine even ran smooth at idle. Especially on a cold start. Couldn't even tell the engine was running. I'm impressed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2011 Taurus SHO Performance Package. EBC Stage 4 Brakes. Blacked out chrome. #130 of 602 in Ingot Silver

ZSHO

I was looking through the Heet website and clearly says that its safe to use on every fill up,so ordered a case of the yellow polar 100%meth from amazon,figured let me give it a try,a cheap alternative to add to your gas tank,might even clean some carbon buildup overtime.Z   http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0077K96GU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2013 Performance Package SHO| Livernois Custom Methanol Tune|3-Bar Map|Reische-170-Stat|Full Race Tial-10psi BOV in Black|PPE-Gloss Black Hot Pipes|EPP Dual Intake in Gloss Black|PPE Catted DP|Corsa Sport Cat Back Exhaust|H&R Sport-Springs|CFM Performance Billet Valve Cover Breather In Gloss Black|Llumar 20%Ceramic window Tint|MSD Ignition Coils in Black|Extreme Roof Spoiler|Redline Fluids all around|Gearhead Intercooler|First-SHO With Direct Port Alky-VP-M1-100%-Methanol Injection|LMS-Custom-Dyno-Tuned @ 415whp-465wtq| Best Trap Speed of 115.54 mph|