• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Dents in both rear shocks!

Started by elund126, March 26, 2014, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elund126

I removed my old rear shocks today (65K miles on the clock). My passenger side rear was completely shot. The driver's side rear was still in good shape. Something that concerns me is these dents I found on the shock body. The one on the driver's side actually had fluid squirt out of the dented area when I compressed it. There is nothing that can rub or hit the shocks as far as I can see. I am just trying to figure out what in the world caused this.

Both of the dents are in the same spot and face the rear of the car. The driver's side is the one that is not rusty.

Any thoughts?

On a lighter note, it sure rides better.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO
Windows Tinted, SP-534, 3-bar, Unleashed Tuning

crash712us

Very strange! Cant even imagine whats could have caused.

2011 tuxedo black non pp, LMS stage 5, Corsa cat back, LMS down pipes, Airaid, Alky control meth injection, Megan Racing coil overs, EBC rotor&pads, Mobsteel grill, 2013 trans cooler. 403whp 417wtq 12.25 @ 110

SHOdded

They look too perfect, are they not like that from factory?  Plugs of some sort, maybe?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

DJE624

Quote from: SHOdded on March 27, 2014, 06:40:24 AM
They look too perfect, are they not like that from factory?  Plugs of some sort, maybe?

Yeah.  They look "on purpose" to me.  Why they are there, I don't know.

dmharvey79

An signs of what they might have been rubbing against...bare metal other parts or something?

Night Hawk

FWIW when I swapped out my originals with 75k on them I found one of my front struts was completely blown out, I think they are sourced from China.  (the replacements were labeled)
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

elund126

The new Motorcraft shocks I ordered do not have the dents. And, I looked and looked and there is nothing that it can hit against in the rear. I am stumped.
2010 Tuxedo Black SHO

Larrylu

Just curious, did you buy your car new or was it pre owned?
2010 Loaded, Non PP, Steel Blue Metallic, Livernois Stage 4+, Blacked out grill, Nexus 7 Tablet running Torque Pro

SoCalSHO

What Did You Replace Them With?
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

68_GT

like you said there's nothing around in there to cause that, plus the dents looks too consistent to think something damaged them. Looks like they were built that way for some reason.
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

SoCalSHO

MaybeTheyUse The Shocks ForMoreThan One Platform.
Robert
2010 Met White
GH tuned, 3 Bar, upgraded turbos, 91 Oct
K&N drop-in or airaid, Corsa Cat-back
1/8 Mile 8.380@83.42MPH

BiGMaC

Quote from: SoCalSHO on March 27, 2014, 09:02:37 PM

Bumpy road Manu?

Elund.....are the areas dents, or did the get rubbed on something grinding metal away?... almost looks like the "axle end" was laid against some rotating object... weird, like the car was driven with them disconnected.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

elund126

Quote from: BiGMaC on March 27, 2014, 09:11:59 PM
Quote from: SoCalSHO on March 27, 2014, 09:02:37 PM

Bumpy road Manu?

Elund.....are the areas dents, or did the get rubbed on something grinding metal away?... almost looks like the "axle end" was laid against some rotating object... weird, like the car was driven with them disconnected.

It does look like something was rubbing but, when I look at the rear shocks, the only thing remotely close to the shock that could rub on it is the sway bar. But, the end links are about 3 inches lower then where the dents were.

2010 Tuxedo Black SHO