• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Plasti dip rims

Started by Rojas1489, April 14, 2014, 04:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rojas1489

Plasti dip rims, turned out pretty good. I'm getting it closer and closer to the way I want it.

FoMoCoSHO

Joleat

Looks good! I'll be doing my wheels and emblems in anthracite soon enough. Plasti Dip has a line called True Metallics that looks great. I keep telling myself that it will be temporary just so I can see if I like the color before having them powder coated, but everyone tells me I won't even think about powder coating them once I've dipped them.
Project: MKSinister-2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost-Tuxedo Black Metallic Exterior-Black Ultimate Leather Interior-EcoBoost Appearance Package-Unleashed SCT X4-3Bar MAP-SP534 Spark Plugs-Power Stop Drilled and Slotted Rotors and Evolution Ceramic Brake Pads-General G-Max AS-03 Tires-Debadged-Color Matched Grille-Anthracite Gray Wheels-Gloss Black Vinyl Over Chrome-35% Window Tint

BiGMaC

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

SHOdded

Very clean work, great results!  I like to think of the look as a stylish Interceptor now :)
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

68_GT

much better !

how durable is that stuff ? everyone says it peels right off, but does that mean it also chips / scuffs up easliy ?
2013 PP SHO LMS 93V10 tune, 170* T stat, 3bar, K&N drop in, plugs re-gapped, 4in exhaust tips.
UPDATE - 130K miles =blown engine. Unleashed tune and EBPP upgrade turbo billet wheels / Turbo Smart WGA's on a bran new long block. Let's get this SHO on the road !

2013 Fusion Titanium 2.0 EB daily driver ;) - LMS 93 tune and CPE intercooler

Rojas1489

Thank you everyone.  I did a lot of research about plasti dip before I did my rims. From what I saw its pretty durable stuff. I watched a video on youtube where a guy took a power washer to the rims with Plasti dip on them. He was inches away with the high powered nozzle and it did NOT chip, scuff or mess up the Plasti dip in any way.

steve142857

Quote from: Rojas1489 on April 14, 2014, 07:39:51 PM
Thank you everyone.  I did a lot of research about plasti dip before I did my rims. From what I saw its pretty durable stuff. I watched a video on youtube where a guy took a power washer to the rims with Plasti dip on them. He was inches away with the high powered nozzle and it did NOT chip, scuff or mess up the Plasti dip in any way.
On my 2010, I had them plastidipped in matte black. It looked great when clean especially when I applied tire shine on it! But they were getting dirty very fast.
If it is well applied, it is durable. Actually, when I wanted to remove it after 2-3 months, it took at least one hour per rim because the plastidip cooked on the mags.
It is a cheap option and non-permanent. For twice the price, I had them sandpapered and repaired, painted with three coats of tuxedo black, two coats of clear and baked 2 times. I think it looks much better. Depends on the budget but if you can pay the extra 250$, you won't regret.
As for rock chips on dip, if you inspect yoir wheels frequently and notice a chip, you can apply a few drops of dip and let it expand and dry... Repeat 3-4 coats and it will melt in place and won't be noticeable...
Good luck!
2010 blue wrapped SHO 12.09 at 117.9mph - SOLD
2013 SHO PP 12.08 at 113.83mph...
Alky control, LMS tuned, custom exhaust, LMS catted downpipes, H&R springs, Tstat170, 3bar map, Airaid

vinnievis

I did my rims in matte black plasti dip last summer.  It held up really well and looked good too.

I put new rubber on the rims this winter and mount/dismount process scuffed the dip.  Getting it off was tough, and it came off in tiny chips.  I gave up after about 3 minutes.

After a quick web search I found some help...

Apply WD40 to soak the plastidipped rim for an hour or overnight and it came off MUCH better.

Just a tip for everyone else out there that might want to get it off and is having trouble.

dmharvey79

I used this stuff on my Jeep's wheels and it held up to a year of pretty heavy off-roading, winter weather, car washes, etc.

Quote from: 68_GT on April 14, 2014, 06:26:58 PM
much better !

how durable is that stuff ? everyone says it peels right off, but does that mean it also chips / scuffs up easliy ?

Night Hawk

Very durable stuff, My first application on rims/grill/driving lite led coves/tailights lasted a year and a half through pretty shitty winter weather before needing touchup.
2017 Fusion Sport
GFB DivValve/165* Thermo
K&N Panel/CFM Breather
Ult Perf Int Garrett Core/MKZ oil cooler
FMS 70mm TB/ NGK .026/LMS V6 93

Tomc612

That looks great! I'm going to do that soon until I find some new wheels. Do you have a unedited photo of the full car?I would like to get a good idea what my car will look like with the wheels dipped since we have the same color.