• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Lackluster Morimoto Experience w HIDs - Beware

Started by JimiJak, March 25, 2014, 02:11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimiJak

Installed my 55w 5000K HIDs and HD relay from theretrofitsource.com yesterday. I've gotta say, I had a better experience with my DDM kit on my Mazda 6 than I did with their kit yesterday...

MORIMOTO
Pros:
The light output is great. Very smooth and consistent, true to color.

Cons:
Even with the HD relay, the driver's side bulb failed to ignite on the 4th start up...and again tonight.
The HD relay has a constant high pitched tone whenever the ignition is on.
Since the HD relay isn't shielded in any way, it kills all radio stations with static.
Over three times the price of my DDM kit that I've never had a problem with.
Passenger's side bulb base was slightly undersized so it didn't "click" into place after being turned, it just turned freely, so I had to 'rig' it to stay in place.

Like I said; the light output is fantastic! So, that's a much needed positive note here...how much of that is the bulb and how much is the housing? That I can't tell you...

But, I have to say that I'm extremely disappointed with everything else. At over $150 for this kit and all the positive reviews, I had a lot higher hopes for TRS and Morimotos. I wouldn't say I have unrealistic expectations...it's just the problems I've already had with the kit aren't problems I would expect to have for that kind of coin...these are busch-league problems.

I haven't contacted TRS or anything...yet. Figured I would wait a week after install and see what changes.
Either way, I'll be taking these relays off since the whole point of dealing with the other cons of the relays was to make sure both lights light every time...and that's not happening so...

The last thing I want is to turn this forum into an HID Q&A depot like every other forum out there...but wanted to give everybody a heads up.
"America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed." - Eleanor Roosevelt

2014 XSport Black Betty Build

SHOdded

Seems they have had a bad batch of relays lately.  Customer service should resolve this quickly.

Wonder if something else is not grounded properly?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

JimiJak

Thanks for taking the time to read my novel! Haha

I went over top of stock grounding points for both side grounds...so I wouldn't think that's a problem. But worth looking into! Thanks!

dcpatters

I run their 35w kit and you're right, light output is great and color temperature seems spot on. No problems at all.

However, I did forego installing the relay harness, just the bulbs and connections from the OEM harnesses to the HID ballasts. The bulbs ignite perfectly and evenly. With that, I decided the harness wasn't necessary. Nevertheless I read time and again TRS' customer support is outstanding. Give them a call.
2014 Explorer Sport LMS tune, 170 Stat, Airaid

JimiJak

I ended up emailing them, and heard back from Andrew. He says; "some of the new fords are quite finnacky and recommended I use the canbus harness instead.

Long story short, I think I'm going to just remove the HD harness and see what happens.

SwampRat

Quote from: JimiJak on March 30, 2014, 10:21:19 AM
I ended up emailing them, and heard back from Andrew. He says; "some of the new fords are quite finnacky and recommended I use the canbus harness instead.

Long story short, I think I'm going to just remove the HD harness and see what happens.

I HAD Morimoto HID upgrades in my 2011 Fusion Sport and they were awesome ...
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

JimiJak

Quote from: SwampRat on March 30, 2014, 11:03:46 PM

Did you use any kind of relay or canbus harness, or just hook up the ballasts?

SwampRat

Quote from: JimiJak on March 30, 2014, 11:20:07 PM
Quote from: SwampRat on March 30, 2014, 11:03:46 PM

Did you use any kind of relay or canbus harness, or just hook up the ballasts?

I used a relay harness for the ballasts ... I did this from the start due to concerns that the OEM headlight harnesses may not have  been able to handle the additional amperage requirements .
2013 SHO  ....  not mine anymore

2021 Edge ST

JimiJak

well...stick dorking around with TheRetroFitSource...I tried to call them today, but ended up getting another call I had to take. I'll ring them again tomorrow.

Initially Andrew said there would be no problem at all with exchanging the relay for the canbus harness...but now it sounds like there's been a change in design since I ordered my relays (Christmas present, so I've had it a while even though it was only out of the box a couple weeks ago), so they don't want mine back...
oh, well...if it's a canbus harness I need, that's what I need...I just need to get it on its way.

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!