• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

Breaking up at WOT

Started by Sleeper4SHO, August 03, 2014, 11:47:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeper4SHO

I have a 2011 SHO PP with Torrie boost tune 93 oct/K&N CAI/Borla catback. Car has been great since Nov when i purchased it and installed the tune/cai/exhaust.  Lately it's been breaking up under WOT pulls and the check engine light flashes for about a  minute then goes off. Car runs fine under normal driving conditions.  Initial thought is to replace the spark plugs.  What plugs is everyone running? what gap?  Torrie recommended the NGK plugs he offers on his site but just curios what everyone else has going on. Also, does anyone think changing the plugs will fix my issue?

Thanks in advance to all.
2011 SHO w/ PP, White Platinum Met Tri-coat, 402A, K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Cat-back, SCT Livewire TS w/ Unleashed 93 octane perf/shift/boost tune

2003 Cobra, Sonic Blue, Tune, CAI, Pulley, BBK longtube/off road x-pipe, flowmaster catback, 3.73s, viper trans w/ 31 spline input, Ram HD clutch, BBK springs, Saleen wheels, Nitto NT555Rs

2003 HD V-rod, custom paint, K&N, PCIII, Rineharts, chrome everything

panther427

the NKG torrie sells or the motorcraft 534. most are gapped at.30 +-.02   What mileage is on your car. It is very possible you need new plugs.. The demand for them to preform is greatest at WOT..  If you have the factory plugs they deffinatly need replaced. Your car had the old style that wore out quicker.
2013 SHO

BiGMaC

X2 ... At least pull the plugs and check gaps.  I agree with .030 ... I run motor craft SP 534s which I don't think we're OEM on the '11 SHOs... IMHO just get them or the NGKs (whichever is cheaper and available) Likely might as well change them as the earlier plugs are known for getting loose center electrodes... And the two plugs mentioned are a heat range cooler an will help prevent knocking. 

Check your knock reading, misfire reading,  and timing retard ( to see of the ECU is pulling timing) too because something is causing the CEL.  I believe you can get the CEL/DTC code from your tuner... That would help.

X2on the cooler T-stat and 3BAR MAP.... Worth as much as a half second in the 0-60 for $120 and 15-20 min of your time

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock

Sleeper4SHO

I already have the NGK plugs, tstat and 3 bar map added to my cart on torrie site was just waiting to hear some feedback before pulling the trigger.

Yes, by "breaking up" I do believe its a misfire...at first i thought the trans was slipping but once i notice the rpm's weren't shooting i determined it was prob misifre.

Torrie recommended gap of .028. Any difference from .030 to .028?

I am just over 79k miles

Thanks for the quick response and great feedback.
2011 SHO w/ PP, White Platinum Met Tri-coat, 402A, K&N Typhoon CAI, Borla Cat-back, SCT Livewire TS w/ Unleashed 93 octane perf/shift/boost tune

2003 Cobra, Sonic Blue, Tune, CAI, Pulley, BBK longtube/off road x-pipe, flowmaster catback, 3.73s, viper trans w/ 31 spline input, Ram HD clutch, BBK springs, Saleen wheels, Nitto NT555Rs

Sleeper4SHO

Installed new NGK plugs from Torrie. Car runs great! Time to do some data logging and get the new tune so I can install 170 tstat and 3 bar map

panther427

I'm glad that has seemed to fix the problem you had.  Hope that's all it was.   On forced induction motors it usually becomes very obvious plugs have gotten worn out.
2013 SHO

SHOdded

New plugs gapped properly are cheap insurance, esp. for forced induction vehicles.  Now that mfrs claim "lifetime" and electronics compensate for gap growth, it's easy to take these little powerhouses for granted.

Did you gap to 0.030 or 0.028?
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Sleeper4SHO

SHOdded

2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!