• Welcome to Ecoboost Performance Forum. Please log in or sign up.
collapse

AND NOW THE REST OF THE STORY....

Started by Tractorak, March 14, 2014, 07:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tractorak

Oh where to begin.... I had my post about my car catching fire removed while I dealt with the dealership on my car catching fire. After a month of back and forth Fords official statement is Ford Motor Company does not pay for fires period. Even if it is a manufactured part that fails that causes the fire. It was determined that my after market filter did not cause the fire and therefore would not void the warranty. However Ford states that they do not know what caused the fire and they have no desire to investigate. My insurance company sent a fire investigation engineer to inspect the car and he could not specify an exact cause other than it started in the front near the turbo and lower cooling fan and he ruled out anything to do with the Airaid. So long story short insurance is totaling the car due to the 18K estimate just to get it to see if it will start. So I get the insurance claim hit and 1K deductible hit when my car has 22k miles and is a 2013. F$#k Ford Motor Company right in the mouth. I will never buy another Ford product and I will encourage everyone I know and meet not to deal with FMC. It is such a shame I loved the car and bragged about it and showed it to everyone. Here is the video for those who didn't see it before it was taken down.
2013 Ford Taurus SHO Engine failure with fire

You have been a great group of people to virtually know. I am going to buy a 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk and get out of the performance scene. I will be selling my airaid system and mycal if anyone is interested. It will probably be a few days before I post those.

Have a good one.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

EcoPowerParts

Sorry about your car and your situation, the fire scenario sucks and there's really no good outcome on this one. :(
Mike B | info@ecopowerparts.com
www.ecopowerparts.com -
please use my website for any price quotes and to submit any orders.
Please email me via info@ecopowerparts.com if you have any questions on new or existing orders, PM's via the forum are hard to track your purchase as I can't relate user name to actual name.
https://www.facebook.com/ecopowerparts

DJE624

Wow.  A sad ending to a tragic story.  I hope your Jeep serves you well. 

SHOdded

FMC should have take their share of responsibility on this one, and I am saddened that this has happened to you.  Sadder still that you will not be a part of this community any longer (understandably).

No way to ask for "lost value" as has recently been discussed in the case of an accident (BBOX)?  A knowledgeable attorney seems to be your next stop if the insurance company doesn't want to pay up.
2007 Ford Edge SEL, Powerstop F/R Brake Kit, TXT LED 6000K Lo & Hi Beams, W16W LED Reverse Bulbs, 3BSpec 2.5w Map Lights, 5W Cree rear dome lights, 5W Cree cargo light, DTBL LED Taillights

If tuned:  Take note of the strategy code as you return to stock (including 3 bar MAP to 2 bar MAP) -> take car in & get it serviced -> check strategy code when you get car back -> have tuner update your tune if the strategy code has changed -> reload tune -> ENJOY!

Tractorak

An attorney would drain us dry trying to fight FMC so I am just going to take the hit and move on. Our insurance company is paying and luckily I wasn't upside down in the car so I will be getting some money for a down on my new car.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

roushed

Why did you wait so long to pull over the minute I see smoke coming out from my hood I'm going to pull over and see what's going on

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mjhpadi

I certainly would check on the 1K deductible, I think you will find it's not that much more expensive to lower it too $500.00 or even 250.  And if your insurance is pentalizing you for the fire, it's time to look for another company, because it sounds like they really aren't doing you any favors.  Sorry that Ford doesn't want to look into the fire, I would bet because if this proves to be a problem they can claim they weren't aware of it with the government...which I would also suggest you report it to NTSB just so you have it on record, you may be able to help someone else if this problem raises it's head.  Hope you find the Jeep a great vehicle!
2010 Candy Red SHO, Livernois Stage 4 Tune, Airaid CAI, Tinted Headlamps & Tails, LED Interior Lighting, LED Running Lights, LED Puddle and License Plate Lamps, LED DRL's, Window Tint, Rear Window Spoiler, V3 Triton Switchback Running Lights, Colgan Bra, Ford Racing Gauges (oil pressure, oil temperature, boost/vacuum)
Replaced by 2020 Hertiage Edition GT-350

dalum

WTF!?!?! I just did a quick check and trade in is $27,822 and retail is $32,587 for my '13 w/ 10k miles.  You're getting royally bent over from everyone involved.  Did you have to keep shifting to park and back to drive to get it to move?  The only thing I can think of there that would cause a fire like that is a rupture of the turbo's oil line.  Unless there was WAY more damage after the video ended I can't imagine it costing 18k just to see if it would start either.
2013 Non-PP SHO

Tractorak

Quote from: roushed on March 14, 2014, 08:02:07 PM
Why did you wait so long to pull over the minute I see smoke coming out from my hood I'm going to pull over and see what's going on

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It is hard to see because the ice is dirty but I was in the middle lane and once that car on my right stopped ghosting me enough for me to get over there was an ice burm that would have kept me in rush hour traffic. Also I didn't know my car was on fire and it was still running. I did not know if it was steam or smoke at the time and my getting hit on the side of the road was a real possibility.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

Tractorak

Quote from: dalum on March 14, 2014, 08:05:29 PM
WTF!?!?! I just did a quick check and trade in is $27,822 and retail is $32,587 for my '13 w/ 10k miles.  You're getting royally bent over from everyone involved.  Did you have to keep shifting to park and back to drive to get it to move?  The only thing I can think of there that would cause a fire like that is a rupture of the turbo's oil line.  Unless there was WAY more damage after the video ended I can't imagine it costing 18k just to see if it would start either.

I know I was suprised at the drop in value of our cars after one year. It looks like my pay out is going to be in the 34-36K range they will get back to me on Monday. I still owe 30K so I will have some decent cash to put down.
2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

Tractorak

Quote from: dalum on March 14, 2014, 08:05:29 PM

It was still burning on the side and around the back of the engine. It pretty much cooked all the hoses and wiring harnesses on the front, back and pass side of the engine.

2013 Tuxedo Black SHO PP

IHeartGroceries

I was wondering if we'd hear about this again. Can't believe Ford blatantly states they're irresponsible for fire, even in the event of defect or equipment failure. Is that common among auto manufacturers?

I suppose that's what insurance is for, though.

Sorry you're taking the loss. But, better to cut your losses and move along, methinks.

Best of luck with the Jeep!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

2013 SHO PP

QwikSHO

That whole time I was talking to you on Facebook and I never put Tractor with your real name...LULZ

Sorry to hear that you are ditching the SHO world, but I wouldn't blame you...I'd be out in a heartbeat too.

If you ever decide to come back...I know a nicely taken care of silver SHO you could buy... *wink wink*

BlueSHO

Wow that totally blows and I don't blame you for changing brands. Ford not investigating is absurd. You would think they would want to know how it happen. God forbid another car catches fire and hurts somebody bad..Sure wish we knew.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2016 SHO Blue Jeans
2001 Lightning
1996 Mystic Cobra

BiGMaC

Dean... I was very happy when I saw your post... was looking forward to reading the story of how you beat the system.... and very disappointed in the facts.  It will be a loss to this community when you actually leave... I"ll think about you every time I look at the SHO wallpaper you sent me.

The attitude Ford's attorneys laid out just plain sucks... we all know why.  Whether to get a lawyer and really pursue the "big guys" Is a decision not to weigh lightly... We did it on a horse and were in AZ district court three times, the AZ Court of Civil Appeals twice, and the AZ supreme court even heard it... we spent 7 years, $80K, got ulcers, and actually never had the problem/question even considered... Legal hocus-pocus is defense attorneys job... companies pay them well... all companies.... they don't need to win... they just need to exhaust your resources so you go away... we finally moved on.

I strongly agree with MJ... report it to NTSB.... when it happens in a traffic jam people could be killed or injured... you heard the pop... we all did watching your video and we know.

You did provide SHO owners with a pyrrhic victory of sorts... Thank you.

I am sorry it soured you on performance, but I completely understand....  You will be missed around here.

Not to be mercenary, but email me about your MyCal.... use the one in my profile like before.

I wish you the best of luck in your Jeep.... and a million happy miles.

•2013 Taurus SHO nonPP - All Ford factory options, 3BAR MAP, LMS v8 tune (mods for 3BAR, DPs, and T-stat), Paint & plastic correction, CQuart finest all exterior surfaces, limo black window tint,VLED Triton switchbacks, Daytime BrightLites switchback DRLs, full interior and exterior LED conversion, Lamin-X charcoal blackout tail lights and reflectors, PPE catted and coated downpipes, EBPP coated hotpipes with BoVs VTA, MDesign CAI
•2013 F250 CC Lariat 6.7EB Diesel -stock